Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tranny hits the floor board on shifts

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 12:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 165 Likes on 129 Posts

Default Tranny hits the floor board on shifts

Every gear, if I do not ease out of the clutch, the tranny hits the bottom of the floor board.

torque arm relocation bracket with brand new poly bushing.

I might have an input shaft issue due to a blown rearend.... would that cause the tranny to move that much??

Before the rear blew - I had the stock tunnel brace/tranny mount, the tranny was working just fine, and the tranny has not been removed since the rear blew.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Broken/worn trans mount?
Old 08-20-2008, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Broken/worn trans mount?
the tranny mount is brand new. new torque arm relocation bracket/tranny mount, new ploy bushing
Old 08-20-2008, 01:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure its the transmission and not the y-pipe or the exhaust in general. If the transmission is coming up and banging the floorboard, you should notice the shifter raise up as well.

Usually the tranny banging the floor is a broken tranny mount but you've got that covered.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
Are you sure its the transmission and not the y-pipe or the exhaust in general. If the transmission is coming up and banging the floorboard, you should notice the shifter raise up as well.

Usually the tranny banging the floor is a broken tranny mount but you've got that covered.
Don't have a Y-Pipe, true duals/X pipe. It really sounds like it's the tranny, but I will drive it again and watch the shifter closely.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you had damaged the old torque arm( you said a rear failure) you may want to check the bell. It is not uncommon to crack the bell @ the engine when the the rear of the trans lets loose.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by calhoon
If you had damaged the old torque arm( you said a rear failure) you may want to check the bell. It is not uncommon to crack the bell @ the engine when the the rear of the trans lets loose.
hmm.... good idea. Another that I had not considered.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Mine did that once, but I left out the center bolt lol.. But mine was an A4. Just a thought.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I kinda sounds it is infact the trans hitting. You might have 1 or both locater missing or broken. It might be causing the trans to turn. If thats the case, prepare for a broken bell also.
Old 08-21-2008, 05:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by THROTTLEJUNKIES
I kinda sounds it is infact the trans hitting. You might have 1 or both locater missing or broken. It might be causing the trans to turn. If thats the case, prepare for a broken bell also.
ok, I am stupid, what is a locater?
Old 08-21-2008, 10:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are 2 small metal doll locaters that are tapped into the back of the block and line up with two wholes in the bellhousing. They are used to keep the trans in line with the block, specifically when the motor torques. If one or both of them is missing it could cause an issue. Im suggesting this because this happened on my buddies SS a short time after he bought it.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

I will check that out. The tranny has to come out anyway due to the 4th gear issue.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are alignment dowels.... To help with assembly. They arent responsible for keeping the trans from torqing. The bolts secure the trans. If your trans is able to twist while bolted to the block....something is seriously wrong. You would have to be missing most of the bolts or all the bolts are loose. If all the bolts are tight, that trans isnt moving in relation to the block...unless the bell or block is cracked. But again...you'd have bigger problems then. THe only thing you have to worry about with the dowels is when you are putting it back together. Sometimes one will stick in the block, and you can push it all the way through to where it will drop into the bellhousing and get caught up in the clutch assembly. The dowels are supposed to be in the trans... I think...

My bet is something else is binding/popping making you think its the trans. In my opinion, if your mounts are all good, both motor and trans, its something else. Poly mounts are pretty stout. I know my driveline doesnt move much if at all with my poly mounts. If your motor mounts and trans mount are in good shape, Ide be checking the torque arm.

Its hard to replicate those types of noises without actually driving the car, but sometimes if you put the rear up on jack stands, and put it in gear and just bump the clutch in and out, you'll be able to have someone peak under and see whats banging/moving. Dont do 6000 rpm clutch dumps...just use the clutch and bump it alittle to see what makes noise.

J.

Quick Reply: Tranny hits the floor board on shifts