Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is this the proper T-56 lever setup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this the proper T-56 lever setup?

Which alignment pin should I put in first and how should I get the mainshaft guide pin in?
Old 08-22-2008, 12:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Line the pin up under the 3/4 fork's lever keeping both the 3/4 and 1/2 syncros in the neutral position. Make sure the levers for the 5/6 and reverse shift rail are in place and in line with the pin, pushed as far inward as possible (so the guide bolt will line up with the slot once the case is on it). Your levers for 1/2 and 3/4 look correct, but the lever closest to the middle of the trans is out of place.

I'm not sure what you're refering to as the mainshaft guide pin?
Old 08-22-2008, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I usually hand tighten the 5/6/R shift rail guide pin first (LHS looking from outside case with input shaft down). Then the 5/6/R rail can be pulled up slightly from the top, and it will raise the entire main shift rail assembly and allow the RHS pin to be inserted. Use a little thread seal on the guide pins, but no locktite..

mike
Old 08-23-2008, 02:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
Line the pin up under the 3/4 fork's lever keeping both the 3/4 and 1/2 syncros in the neutral position. Make sure the levers for the 5/6 and reverse shift rail are in place and in line with the pin, pushed as far inward as possible (so the guide bolt will line up with the slot once the case is on it). Your levers for 1/2 and 3/4 look correct, but the lever closest to the middle of the trans is out of place.

I'm not sure what you're refering to as the mainshaft guide pin?

I didn't really mean main shaft. I meant the 1-4 rail guide pin.

Are all the rails suppose to be lined up with the cam? (in the picture the reverse is the only one not lined up).
Old 08-23-2008, 07:31 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bratvold
I didn't really mean main shaft. I meant the 1-4 rail guide pin.

Are all the rails suppose to be lined up with the cam? (in the picture the reverse is the only one not lined up).
Yes. They'll be imperfect in alignment before the guide pins are installed, but the rails should definitely be hooked over the shift interlock cam. Sometimes, it takes more than one try to set the case, lift on a rail to line up the guide pin slot to the guide pin hole on the case and install the pin, but you'll eventually get it.
Old 08-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Staging Lane

I got it. Everything is back together. It shifts fine. I hope everything works properly. I'm worried about end play in the inputshaft. if you grab the input shaft it will move very very slight sideways, but will not move the mainshaft at all. It's always done that throughout the shimming process.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you follow the tremec manual and keep end-play in the main/input shaft, or did you performance shim it and add a bit of preload?
Old 08-23-2008, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
Did you follow the tremec manual and keep end-play in the main/input shaft, or did you performance shim it and add a bit of preload?
I did. I didn't do the countershaft because I didn't change the bearings for it.

I was seeing other posts that say side to side movement is okay...it's the back and forth play you have to avoid.

Quick Reply: Is this the proper T-56 lever setup?