Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tried bleeding, still no clutch pressure. What next?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toneloc60
I had this same problem!

When I replaced my clutch I put the updated slave in. Well, while bleeding it, I think I ran the master dry. I had a guy who knew these cars come over to take a look and he told me to get the front of the car at least 3 feet off the ground and start bleeding. That would get the air out of the master. (You have to pump the **** out of it! Get under the car, crack open the bleeder and put your finger over the hole, then have a buddy pump the hell out of the pedal. The fluid will go past your finger while he pushes down, but your finger will plug the hole as he pulls the pedal back up.)

DO NOT LET THE MASTER GO DRY!!!

After running about three master's worth of fluid through it, put the front down and lift the back of the car 3 feet in the air. This will get the slave higher than the master and help get air out of the slave. Now, repeat the process with bleeding. When you start to get a pedal, go to conventional bleeding by opening and closing the bleeder for each pedal movement.

This can all go faster with a MightyVac. But, it's still a painful process. I thought mine would never bleed.

Good luck!

i agree i have done this on similar hydro clutch systems
Old 09-11-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by copteezer496
I've tried bleeding the clutch every way I can think of. I've tried the 5-pump, 15-pump and 30 pump methods but still nothing. I put the new master cylinder in today, tried bleeding it and I'm still in the same boat. I have my buddy Paul coming to help tomorrow with his miti-vac so hopefully that works. If not, I already have a new GM slave cylinder that we'll try to put in and see if it helps. After that, I've replaced pretty much the whole system. It'll be on it's way to the shop to have a pro figure it out.
That really sucks you went through all that. I just installed my LS7 clutch & new slave cyl. I tried bleeding mine for over an hour with no luck. I heard the hydraulics can be hard to bleed but I didnt believe it until last night. When I got home I did a search & found the mityvac trick. I was really amazed how well that worked. Before I had no pedal, 5-10 minutes later, the pedal was rock hard just like before. After doing that, I did not need to crack the bleeder screw, that got all the air out. I will never bleed one of these any other way.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:33 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, we did the mity vac and it did get a lot of air out but it turns out that i need a shim behind me slave cylinder. I found a shim, i'm putting it in Saturday morning. I'll let ya'll know how it works.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:11 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, we did the mity vac and it did get a lot of air out but it turns out that i need a shim behind me slave cylinder. I found a shim, i'm putting it in Saturday morning. I'll let ya'll know how it works.
You need a shim because you had the flywheel resurfaced?
Old 09-18-2008, 02:51 PM
TECH Resident

Pretty sure he has a new flywheel. It just seems some cars need to be shimmed from what I have seen over the years on these cars. His clutch his pre engaging so the shim so help that and hopefully all will be good. Right now the clutch is pretty much working fine its just the engagement thats screwed up. I freaking hate the hyro system for these cars!!

Good luck Brett, let me know how it works out, wish I could help but I'll be on call in case you get real pissed and start a fire or something. lol...anyway I think the shim will do the trick. Theres really nothing else it could be.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks Paul, good lookin out!! I hope this does the trick too!! If not, I'm gonna start a big fire I'm sure. One about the size a T/A. lol
Old 09-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Here's the link to my car's cardomain page. Check it out!!

http://www.cardomain.com/id/MyPewterWS6
Old 09-27-2008, 08:45 PM
Staging Lane

I put the shim in it and it works a lot better!! But now it has 2 shims in it's still not perfect. Any suggestions?
Old 09-28-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Addict

I put the shim in it and it works a lot better!! But now it has 2 shims in it's still not perfect. Any suggestions?
How thick are the shims & where did you buy them? So you just unbolted the slave cyl & put them betwen the trans & slave mount? I ask because it seems installing the new LS7 clutch didnt seem to solve the "once in a while theres a wall in my trans where it wont go into any gear syndrome" & my clutch engagement is close to the floor. Good pedal feel though. I think I may need a shim to get the slave closer to the clutch.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by the_merv
Dis-connect the Slave, pump the Clutch until it gets hard and have someone depress the end of the line with a Screwdriver(or whatever works) and push the Clutch to the floor when it's open to push out all the air. Repeat this as necessary until all the Air is out, and you build up pressure to where you can't move the Clutch Petal at all, it will be solid. Then connect the Slave Cylinder in to it and try that.
This is what you need to do! It worked for me.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:37 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, so the fianl thing i did that finaly worked was I'd bought a GM slave for a '98 WS6, when I later found out I needed one for an '01 or newer, because of how much tougher my stage 4 clutch is. I put the new one in, vacuum bled it and now it works perfect.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tick Perf bleeder line

If ya have to drop the trans again, pick up one of those Bleeder Extensions that Tick perf. sells. There Great ! The steel hose is long enough that you can be in the car and have the bleeder right below the rocker panel. Loosen it with 2 wrenches, bleed air, tighten and ur done ! Then tuck the extra line up under the car. I think there like $50 but well worth it...

I got in on one of their group buys on a Tick Master cyl. and the line came with it.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

They are like $75.. I have one from LPP..works great.
Old 08-19-2009, 09:14 AM
FormerVendor

Back from the dead...like a Zombie...! I am not sure how I missed this thread a year ago but I am glad that you got it all worked out. In truth you shouldn't need two shims--but if it works it works. Let me know if you need anything else and I will be happy to assist you further. Thanks,

Quick Reply: Tried bleeding, still no clutch pressure. What next?