Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What Clutch does not need special shimming (want a bolt in)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 05:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What Clutch does not need special shimming (want a bolt in)

Can you guys answer this for me. I just want a bolt in clutch and not have to worry about shimming etc to get it to work right. I do not plan on using nitrous but will have a head and cam package. I have read alot of good posts about the Ram 980 and 910 disks but it seems that those need some shimming, Then there is the dual Mcleod that I am also interested in. I defenitly want the clutch to be streetable with minimal chatter and I'm a newbie at installing clutches so the easier the better, Can you guys offer any suggestions?
Old 09-06-2003, 08:02 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: What Clutch does not need special shimming (want a bolt in)

I was under the impression all LS1 clutches use shims...except for the OEM one. In my opinion Ram is the best clutch out there. If you haven't installed a LS1 clutch, I would suggest having a pro do it (one that has LS1 clutch experience), or a friend thats done it before.
Old 09-06-2003, 11:34 PM
10 Second Club

I was under the impression all LS1 clutches use shims...except for the OEM one. In my opinion Ram is the best clutch out there. If you haven't installed a LS1 clutch, I would suggest having a pro do it (one that has LS1 clutch experience), or a friend thats done it before.
Shims? Where? Behind the throwout? Or to set the pressure plate in the right place?
Old 09-07-2003, 02:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Is there any clutches that come pre bleeded as well? I know from all these posts that the Mcleod is a biotch to bleed.
Old 09-07-2003, 08:05 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No shims here, but you do have to bleed. Its easy.. Harlan used the Centerforce for a while and changed it because it does not like being hotlapped. I have not had a problem since I put my centerforce dual friction in.. Then again I am not making the kind of horsepower you are planning on making..
Old 09-07-2003, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Cartek and it comes prebled, uses no shimms and has held a few bottles of a 200 wet shot (700 RWTQ) and many many bottles of a 150 with NO problems. I have zero chatter also. I would still do the Mccloud master though as it is a better unit than stock and can displace more fluid.
Old 09-07-2003, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: What Clutch does not need special shimming (want a bolt

Thanks for all the replies guys. I emailed Mike from Rapid Motorsports and he gave me the rundown of the ram 910 VDS series and I think I am leaning towards this clutch. He said the master comes pre-bled and that I will have to do a normal gravity bleed with the tranny installed to get rid of air in the slave. He also said it comes pre-shimmed/assembled but that he recommends I add 1 shim to each flywheel stud. This doesn't sound to bad. Vince I was actually considering the centerforce. Did you upgrade your master as well? Also when I get this maybe you can hold the tranny up for me so I can save money on a jack
Old 09-07-2003, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: What Clutch does not need special shimming (want a bolt

McCloed Street Twin