Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Wierd clutch issue - improper engagement?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008 | 07:13 PM
12 Second Club

Default Wierd clutch issue - improper engagement?

Hey all. I have an issue with my clutch that I'd like to see if you guys can help me diagnose. I had a Ram Powergrip clutch/PP installed a while ago with my stock, turned flywheel. Right from day one it didn't completely disengage with the clutch pushed in all the way. I figured it wasn't too big of a deal and just meant that I needed an adjustable master cylinder. I bought the Ram unit and installed it. After adjusting it out quite a ways, my clutch mainly engages at about 1/2 way out on the pedal. The problem is that even with that adjustment, the clutch "slightly" engages at or just off the floor and stays that way until 1/2 way out and then it really engages. Now this "slight" engagement is not enough really to make the car roll forward or stall on a level surface. The RPM's just drop a little. It also makes a nice clunk when I put the car in first at a stop light.

Any idea what is wrong? A missing spacer perhaps? It's driving me nuts. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 09-23-2008 | 08:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm not too familiar with the ram clutches, but I believe they do come with a spacer to go behind the slave. There are also instructions on how to measure to determine if the spacer is necessary.

Depending on how much was machined from your flywheel, that could be your problem. If .040" was taken from the flywheel for example, you should really either install a shim that same thickness between the flywheel and crankshaft or you should space the slave that much closer.

We just released a new adjustable master to take care of the dragging clutch problems. You can read about it in the following threads.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/990559-tick-performance-adjustable-clutch-master-cylinder-kits-shipped.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/980854-new-tick-performance-adjustable-master-cylinders-now-available.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/969314-teaser-thread-tick-performance-s-revolutionary-new-adjustable-master-cylinder.html
Old 09-24-2008 | 08:29 AM
12 Second Club

So the next question is, how likely is this clutch drag to destroy my built T56? This car and its design **** me off a little more each day. The damn things are money pits once you start modding them. Maybe it is time to go back to stock. Either that or I need to sell it and replace it with an Aveo or some other little **** box that I know I won't want to spend a dime on in modifications!
Old 09-24-2008 | 06:46 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

A dragging clutch will wear the fork pads out (even the bronze ones). Excessive force to get the car into gear from neutral when its running is litterally wearing away at the fork pads and it also isn't good for the blocker rings.