Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

**Midwest Union Workers**

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 10:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UAW 2209. Fort Wayne Assembly (1/2 ton, full-size trucks). Averaged 3400 hours/year '04, '05, '06. Barely broke 2700 in '07. Only worked 1800 as of the 12th. Times are very tight. Hopefully, next year will be better.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sartobuilt
Thats part of the problem.

Why would people pay top dollar for a union worker. When theres others doing it for less. Your side jobbing yourself out of work.

Your right there with all the immigrants putting us out of work.

Plumbers and pipefitters Local 501
got to keep myself afloat somehow......you cant tell me that if you werent working on a saturday that you WOULDNT go work on the side for cash.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:39 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by pro2low
got to keep myself afloat somehow......you cant tell me that if you werent working on a saturday that you WOULDNT go work on the side for cash.
All the union guys i know take side jobs when they can....
Old 10-19-2008, 05:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Justa Z
All the union guys i know take side jobs when they can....
thank you! is extra money in your pocket how can you not want them?!!?!?
Old 10-20-2008, 12:34 PM
9 Second Club

I work for Chicago Public Schools, Local 143 Operating Engineers Union.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Every single guy I know in a union does side jobs for cash. A lot of people can't afford to hire Union workers on the books for work around their house but don't want to use the local non-union hacks.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:38 PM
Teching In

Teamsters local 710 out of Chicago.

Mechanic @ UPS in fort wayne

Not enough mechanics in the union for them to fight for us. Just got a new contract here this month, mechanics recieved a 500 dollar tool allowance for 5 years of contract..... 1 lump sum for 5 years.
I made 10k more 3 yrs ago making 3 dollars less an hour that what i am at now. We are skilled labor, and are paid 1 cent an hour more than the highest unskilled labor in the facility. You cant bid onto a lower paying job. its either management or the door. I'll stick with being hourly!
Old 10-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ski23
laborers local 81 here. Been employed at the whiting refinery for 3 years straight now with no layoff in sight
I didnt know you were outta 81 I worked for them for 2 years. Im Boilermakers 374 right now. Work is pretty decent. They are always looking for people to go work down state being our local covers all of indiana.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:15 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Local 2 Chicago Firefighters.

Not to get political, but all the voting Illinois union guys should know to vote "No" to the Constitutional Convention on the ballot. Not sure how well the unions are informing people, but Local @ did not do a great job so far. This could have direct effects on your pension. Not to mention you would be putting the current group of Illinois clowns in charge of the State Constitution- which currently has an Amendment process in place.

Anyway, rant over. I am an active union member. A steward, committee member and also have served as a Trial Board Chairman. Being active in a union is the best way to make a difference and help keep a union strong. Nothing is more disappointing than going to a meeting for a union with several thousand members and only seeing 40 people there.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:55 PM
9 Second Club

Pipefitters LU #533 out of Kansas City. Its been very good to me for over 13 years now. If you do good work and do more of it than most....you won't miss any work. Its pretty cut and dried....if you become a valuable asset a contractor will acknowledge this and keep you working for them, and not against them.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1cdub
Pipefitters LU #533 out of Kansas City. Its been very good to me for over 13 years now. If you do good work and do more of it than most....you won't miss any work. Its pretty cut and dried....if you become a valuable asset a contractor will acknowledge this and keep you working for them, and not against them.
Being as how there are so many "brilliant" people in the trades you really have to work at it. Ok but seriously, Its not hard to make yourself shine in any union trade, we all have our shitbags. Just be smarter, more efficient and willing to take on even the dirtiest hottest of tasks. That is what will make you valuable to a company.

Quick Reply: **Midwest Union Workers**