Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Holy shit I'm M***erfu**ing #14. IBEW 134

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SchultzLT1
Until what? You get the results from 597?
Yes Sir. I'm On The Waiting List Along With A Gazzillion other Folks who took The Test.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Good Luck

As a 10 year#134 JW. I must say good luck. I have been out since october, have no insurance, and there's NO work on the horizon. I must say I'm confused, because I heard they had shut down the apprenticeship. You might be good for a few years, but this I'll tell you . Once you top out, you're dog-meat, you'll sit at home while apprentices work. If they enforced the 5 JW per apprentice rule, NONE of you guys would be going to work. Anyhow Good LUCK I've signed books in ALL surrounding locals, and am still waiting. Let me ask you this. Are all those teachers still working?
Old 04-06-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

wow, someone angry?? I heard the same thing with Davine Electric, pissed that the journeymen are off work and all app. are working.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Staging Lane

i am an ibew member out of 702. what do you do?
Old 04-06-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Smuzzard
As a 10 year#134 JW. I must say good luck. I have been out since october, have no insurance, and there's NO work on the horizon. I must say I'm confused, because I heard they had shut down the apprenticeship. You might be good for a few years, but this I'll tell you . Once you top out, you're dog-meat, you'll sit at home while apprentices work. If they enforced the 5 JW per apprentice rule, NONE of you guys would be going to work. Anyhow Good LUCK I've signed books in ALL surrounding locals, and am still waiting. Let me ask you this. Are all those teachers still working?
Someone sounds a lil torn up. Anyways, apprentices are out of work too, so I'm not sure who told you anything else. They did stop taking apprentices, however, I was the last group through. As you know, they usually take around 400 apprentices all year. This year there will only be 34, so I do think they have cut them down significantly. I heard of work picking up this summer, so I did see more on the horizon, but idk if you know something i dont.

Also, no, some of the teachers were laid off. I think something like 85-90% of JW's are still working. Sure, thats like 12000-2000 laid off, but its still better odds of working than not. Was every JW working when you were an apprentice?

I'm sorry for entering your trade and stealing your work.

Originally Posted by Taubr Unit
wow, someone angry?? I heard the same thing with Davine Electric, pissed that the journeymen are off work and all app. are working.
Like I said, not all apprentices are working, but yes, most are. Just like most JW's are.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:12 PM
TECH Junkie

I am glad to say I am back to 5 days a week finally. It was touch and go there for a while. A lot of guys wanted the lay-off instead of sitting at home not collecting anything. We lost about 20-30% of our shop. Slowly they are coming back now.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just wanted to bring this back from the dead and update with the work status.

Well, its basically Dogshit. There are 225+ apprentices out of work and 2100+ JW's out of work. They are expecting it to fall on their face even further if we don't get the Olympics.

I am really hoping and banking on getting the Olympics though. It would do miracles for the Chicago economy.

I just hit my 6 month mark and am working up north with AEC electric over at Northwestern University in Evanston. Work was steady but it as slowed down now. I had all the **** jobs for awhile but things are good now.

Any JW's working/laid off?
Old 10-01-2009, 08:03 PM
master of the "jack"stand

Originally Posted by SchultzLT1

I am really hoping and banking on getting the Olympics though. It would do miracles for the Chicago economy.
I mean, to say that is debatable is a HUGE understatement. But I won't go there. It would do good for construction though that's for sure.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChevyWeatherman
I mean, to say that is debatable is a HUGE understatement. But I won't go there. It would do good for construction though that's for sure.
Debatable yes I suppose, but it will put MANY people back to work whether they are in the construction field or not. You can't really debate that.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:34 PM
12 Second Club

I've been working for about 7 months this year, and Im doing pretty good. I've already made more than I did last year . Im with Block Electric out of 176. I just heard we were awarded the new Silver cross hospital in New lenox next to 355. It should bring in quite a few jobs considering they are planning on having 120+ electrians on the job at one point once it is rolling, and there is only about 40 or so people with the company. we have about 50 apprentices off and around 400+ jw's. Which doesnt sound like alot but our local only has about 1700 Members. so not so good. But I've not worked very much the last couple years and this next year should hopefully work out in my favor. If you wait long enough good stuff seems to come your way.

hopefully we get the olympics and that will create a **** ton of jobs.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:29 PM
12 Second Club

i just sat 3 weeks after workin 65 hours a week all summer, but went back to work this week.. ive missed a total of 3 months this year.. Im hopin on these Olympics big time..
Old 10-02-2009, 03:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Well no Olympics now so good luck with everything. I know from all the new construction sites I'm on I see a lot of Titan and Gurtz electric gangboxs. Dunno if that helps u out, maby hit them up?
Old 10-02-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

597 is slow as **** too. My buddy is a 4th year apprentice and he's not getting much work either. I was going to test in January for it; but I don't even know if I should waste my time/money.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

134 member here too... work is extremely slow and doesnt look like it'll get much better anytime soon.. good news is more time to wrench on the car, bad news is less $$ to spend on toys.

Quick Reply: Holy shit I'm M***erfu**ing #14. IBEW 134