Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

We did some powder coating on my intake.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Screw it. take the credit and then just wear a cup around him, that's what i'd do lol
Old 12-07-2008, 09:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LMAO!! It's funny you should say that, because yesterday I did wear a cup around him!!
Old 12-07-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
10-4, I can appreciate that.

My reply would not have been salty if Biz had kept his mouth shut acussing me of a "shameless plug" when I spent my time to give Dheck very detailed instructions and answer his questions. That's bullshit..

Like I said i never would have posted in your thread at all if Dheck wasn't mentioned.
I understand that you pay a lot of money to be a sponsor here. I also understand that you are under the false assumption that everything has to be done for money. The fact that a bunch of guys can get together one weekend and try stuff out is not all that far fetched.

You dropping in on this thread is like a nitrous sponsor dropping in on a random install thread, and saying "hey that looks like dick, but look at all the installs I've done..on my website."

Either you like our first attempt at powder coating or you don't. If you don't thats fine, don't drop in and say "those guys do shitty work, but I on the other I"m awesome at it." For the record, Google says that you aren't the only one with the powder coating plastic secret.

...and you don't have to worry about any of us steeling your business, obviously we (by we, I mean a group of buddies that like to hang out around car related circumstances) suck at powder coating...and I never called anyone a dick.

Have a good night.

Last edited by TheBiz; 12-07-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBiz
I understand that you pay a lot of money to be a sponsor here. I also understand that you are under the false assumption that everything has to be done for money. The fact that a bunch of guys can get together one weekend and try stuff out is not all that far fetched.

You dropping in on this thread is like a nitrous sponsor dropping in on a random install thread, and saying "hey that looks like dick, but look at all the installs I've done..on my website."

Either you like our first attempt at powder coating or you don't. If you don't thats fine, don't drop in and say "those guys do shitty work, but I on the other hand am an e-badass." For the record, Google says that you aren't the only one with the powder coating plastic secret.

...and you don't have to worry about any of us steeling your business, obviously we (by we, I mean a group of buddies that like to hang out around car related circumstances) suck at powder coating...and I never called anyone a dick.

Have a good night.
Your taking it a bit far dude. Your nitrous sponsor comparison is totally ridiculous, and has no merit with this conversation.

Nice job taking his advice and spinning it on him like he is the bad guy.

I wonder why he would be concerned....

He should worry about you steeling his buisness. He gave you tips on how to powder coat. Probably the same methods he uses.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
Your taking it a bit far dude. Your nitrous sponsor comparison is totally ridiculous, and has no merit with this conversation.

Nice job taking his advice and spinning it on him like he is the bad guy.

I wonder why he would be concerned....

He should worry about you steeling his buisness. He gave you tips on how to powder coat. Probably the same methods he uses.
I appreciate the advice. Hes not a bad guy. I understand why he dropped in. I'm just saying it could have been worded a little better as not to come off like a turd. Know what I mean? Its not like we are trying to steal business. We just play around with this stuff on the weekend.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry for blowing the thread Bennster. This has gotten a little out of hand. I shot Ghost a PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:47 PM
10 Second Club

That's ok. I'll ball tap you, and call it even.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Captain InsaneO
I'll go look for my cup....
Old 12-07-2008, 10:28 PM
Motorboater

Its all good, period. PM'd with both you guys.

I got burned by several people on this board asking for help and tricks and then going and back dooring work on here. I didn't know you guys were just hanging out doing it yourselves so I made the wrong assumption that dheck hosed me like the previous folks did. My mistake.

Please don't play the sponsor card, it has nothing to do with my commenting on the stuff that could be done better. Even if its your own parts, don't you want to get better at it? Isn't that the point of the board? If i was not a sponsor or even a moderator and I made the same comments, I bet you would have just said cool thanks and we would have had a discussion about the tips/trick.

Nothing I do is a secret by the way, or why would I share it? The details learned from my experience is sure as hell a short cut for anyone asking me how to do stuff, but the process itself is no secret.
Old 12-07-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Captain InsaneO
slow jack and a ball tap?
Old 12-07-2008, 11:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Harley-Davidson88
Negative.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Harley-Davidson88
I don't know...I kind of like a little "tap" at the end.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:14 AM
Launching!

Whoa! Silverghost, I told you I wouldn't back door you like that. Truth is I couldn't have done it without your advice TheBiz, Capt. Insaino, and I are all best friends. This was the first intake I tried, I think it came out ok for the first one. I'll try your advice on the next one. I really didn't use much powdercoat on this intake and I bet that's why it has orange peel. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:40 AM
Motorboater

I was thinking about this one David and it could be the gun too. If you are using the EW hobbyist gun for example..,that thing has that round diffuser on the end that creates a real wide cloud. Its meant to keep a beginner from having powder bursts on the part and so forth my spreading out the cloud. On plastic you need a fat powder stream, which is difficult to learn to control but will yield the best results. The gun I use has no tip of any kind, just an open end with the charge rod. I have used a hobby gun once when a local guy who does small parts for his bike builds asked for my help, and I hated the thing. Huge powder waste with that fat cloud, and difficult to get the hard to reach areas without a forward stream. That was on metal too, not plastic.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Launching!

I have a hotcoat hobbyist gun. It does have the diffuser. Any recomendations for a different gun?
Old 12-08-2008, 08:56 AM
Motorboater

not that isn't going to cost 6 times as much. Maybe check some other suppliers for their hobby guns. See if columbia,caswell,PBTB have one. I dont use caswell powder but I'm almost positive they have a couple hobby guns.

I got annoyed and pulled that diffuser off the charge rod when helping that bike guy. Worked until I tilted it and those three plastic tubes in there fell out. The diffuser holds them in. Not sure what those tubes do exactly either. Other problem with the EW hobby is you can only use it with EW 1/2 lb containers and buying powder in 1/2 lbs is very expensive. If you need 1-2 lbs to do a batch of engine bay parts you are spending alot buying several 1/2 lb containers. Although you could keep empties and buy bigger and fill the empties and sort of have a cup gun that way. Just wash them with soap and water and dry very well to avoid cross contamination of powders.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
I was thinking about this one David and it could be the gun too. If you are using the EW hobbyist gun for example..,that thing has that round diffuser on the end that creates a real wide cloud. Its meant to keep a beginner from having powder bursts on the part and so forth my spreading out the cloud. On plastic you need a fat powder stream, which is difficult to learn to control but will yield the best results. The gun I use has no tip of any kind, just an open end with the charge rod. I have used a hobby gun once when a local guy who does small parts for his bike builds asked for my help, and I hated the thing. Huge powder waste with that fat cloud, and difficult to get the hard to reach areas without a forward stream. That was on metal too, not plastic.
That thing is a pain in the ***. I wondered what the reason for shooting the powder in all different directions was. Wonder if you could secure the "tubes" in the barrel without hurting the performance.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Motorboater

well their heart was in the right place in the design. a big wide cloud that is not very thick is going to make it easy to coat your typical valve covers and whatever. the gun won't burp and land a big pile of powder on your part, etc since that diffuser will bust up the burp as it comes out. what that gun isn't made for is doing more complicated work with tight crevaces or things that aren't metal like an ls6 intake. pro guns like mine are just wide open on the end but can be used for anything, you just have to be very aware of what the gun is doing at all times, especially when shooting something a full temp like plastic. a gun with no diffuser like mine can easily ruin a plastic intake by shooting a big clump of powder out and making a nice sticky pile of poop on the hot plastic. the upside is its easy to get all the tough spots that you guys missed with that hobby gun since its just one forward moving stream of powder. i just move very fast and clear the gun often by dipping it forward to avoid the powder buildup in the end of it from burping out. maybe those 3 tubes in the hobby unit prevent that buildup? buildup is typically only an issue for me when doing plastic since i have to use a full cup on the gun and crank the PSI way up. on metal i use a half cup and low PSI cloud so its usually not an issue. I can see when a burp is coming though by the way the cloud behaves as I go, so I almost always clear the gun in time. Certain powder are much more likely to burp as well due to their light structure. Super gloss clears are a perfect example. The smoke chrome you guys used is a very heavy composition powder, almost grainy, it can have its own challenges for that reason.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

............................wow
Old 12-08-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ls1leadfoot
............................wow

We know...Benny is da man!