Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

2009 Tint Law

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jrob56
wow i read the title and was like **** no 5% next year then realized its IL, im glad indiana doesnt really care about anything lol
+1 i was scared when i looked at the title to so far i have good luck with 5% tint i live out in the country and put my windows down when i get to town
Old 01-29-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure if it's still like this, but as of 2003, in Illinois you can have any tint on your front windows if your car was manuf before Jan 1, 1982. In high school I drove a 79 ElCamino with tinted windows and would just keep the copied paper from the laws book in the glove compartment.

Only other way is to have a note from a doctor or optometrist kept in the car at all times.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TORK?
Not sure if it's still like this, but as of 2003, in Illinois you can have any tint on your front windows if your car was manuf before Jan 1, 1982. In high school I drove a 79 ElCamino with tinted windows and would just keep the copied paper from the laws book in the glove compartment.

Only other way is to have a note from a doctor or optometrist kept in the car at all times.
From what I heard they put a stop to the doctor note as I told afreind this and his eye doctor said he cant do it anymore
Old 01-29-2009, 05:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about all the high end luxury cars being sold with tints?
Old 01-29-2009, 06:30 PM
14 Second Truck Club

A friend just got a tint ticket the other day and it was only $25. It was written while parked if that matters, might be more as a moving violation/equipment violation. I dont think the law is bad but I do hate getting called on it. Both my truck and Camaro have tint, and the Camaro is dark as hell. Cant see **** at night.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TORK?

I believe if you have AV plates you can tint whatever you want.
Old 01-30-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

does this apply to only the city of chicago or the state?
Old 01-30-2009, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by integraxtc
edit: Chicago only.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

For the one that got the tint ticket while parked, that is illegal. While parked they are only supposed to check if you have proper city sticker/ plates current. They aren't supposed to give equipment violations to parked cars. My75Lemans has 5% on the drvs and pass windows and I got a ticket while parked I waited and tried to fight it by mail with a copy of the exemption (before jan 1982). But the court gave me the run around and found me guilty. I called the police dept and talked to a supervisor and he told me about the no equip violations on parked cars, if I had called right away they would have ripped it up.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:35 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by 75tonyA
For the one that got the tint ticket while parked, that is illegal. While parked they are only supposed to check if you have proper city sticker/ plates current. They aren't supposed to give equipment violations to parked cars. My75Lemans has 5% on the drvs and pass windows and I got a ticket while parked I waited and tried to fight it by mail with a copy of the exemption (before jan 1982). But the court gave me the run around and found me guilty. I called the police dept and talked to a supervisor and he told me about the no equip violations on parked cars, if I had called right away they would have ripped it up.
There are certain ones tey can give you while parked under city ordinances. Tint, no front plate and a few others
Old 01-31-2009, 05:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by integraxtc
Tint laws are supposed to be for officer safety, but that's bull.
YES it IS absolute bull... it so that the ******* cops can peer into your car and see waht you have or what your up to and invade any kind of privicy you should be able to have while inside your car.

Originally Posted by mzoomora
There are certain ones tey can give you while parked under city ordinances. Tint, no front plate and a few others
Thats because your city, like mine, is gay! the ******* cops and stupid ******* yuppies that make these laws are worried about my window tint effecting their "kids safety" and other stupid bs so that they can charge outragious amounts for tickets.
at my highschool several years ago a class mate hit two kids while driving carelessly and got off with NOTHING for it, about 6 weeks later i got a tint ticket (illegal coloring) in the same spot because it makes "me and my car more dangerous when kids are around"

damn them all, they wonder why nobody likes them
Old 01-31-2009, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 75tonyA
I live in lincoln park and have received several equipment violations while my car was parked on the street. After about the 6th no front plate ticket at 50 bucks a pop I finally put it on. I also got a ticket for my tint last fall while parked, and I only have 35% on the front. They gave it to me at night and i have a black interior. Complete BS.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

im getting ready to tint the front of my car again... whats a good % so i avoid getting pulled over?? i was thinking 15%, and yes i know i run the risk no matter what.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

i run 35% on my sides, 5 out back. Kinda wish i would have went 15%. Its not my DD and i usually run with the windows down. But 35% still got me pulled over in my S-10
Old 02-01-2009, 01:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NeedaV8foundation
im getting ready to tint the front of my car again... whats a good % so i avoid getting pulled over?? i was thinking 15%, and yes i know i run the risk no matter what.
If You're Going To Tint Your Windows, Tint Them All The Way.

Get Limo/Presidential Tints. The Cops will pull you over for tints anyway, so if you're in for a penny, you're in for a pound.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:31 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,149 Likes on 747 Posts

Well I've done 20 and 30% tint, the 30% was noticeable to me but I never got tickets for it. When I've had 20% I have not gotten tickets but got comments. I would never do 5% in the city of Chicago. My TBSS is 20% I think, it was done before I bought it.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

Well, I went and to have my tints taken off like on the 19th of January (MLK Day), so I wouldn't get hit with a ticket. It sucks.

When and if I get my Vette (1-2 yrs from now) I'm going to tint that bitch 5% and I'm not looking back. My plan is that it'll be garaged and a weekend car.

I'm thinking about retinting the TA, but I don't know.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:26 PM
Teching In

This seems to be getting discussed everywhere now a days. Im fully tinted out on my CTS, 15% all around and 35% on the windsheild. I also have the "tint" license plates so cops cant really mess with me. Its always been illegal in Illinois to have tint on driver or passenger window no matter how dark, if you are going to tint it, might as well go all out cuz you will eventually get pulled over.
Heres the link to the tinted plates http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/de...d_windows.html
How dark my car is:
Old 02-01-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

I Know about the tint plates, I just can't get them.

I haven't attempted to get them, but I doubt any doctor would be willing to sign the form.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

anyone have a doctor that will be willing to throw a signed waiver for me.... i have poor vision, i think?

Quick Reply: 2009 Tint Law