Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Cash for Clunkers; i can get a free engine!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cash for Clunkers; i can get a free engine!

Now im sure by now that most of us have heard about the cash for clunkers program our government has established. I am a technician for a Saturn dealership and have all the resources to pull this off.

This is what i see:

A person trades in a full size GM pickup or large suv. The thing gets 15-18 mpg and they want to buy a new idk... 4cyl Aura (idk why just roll with me). The truck qualifies for the gov program and get the $4500 trade in value.

Now i get the car and under the rules of the program, any vehicle that is traded in under the program we are to Drain all oil in engine. Put "special" solution in the engine. Then run the thing at wot till it dies!

What if i could get my hands on a LQ motor, swap it, then ship the truck?
Big brother wont know.

What do you think?
Old 07-28-2009, 04:44 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds like you got it all planned out...
Old 07-28-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Special solution? Why not just start it without oil at all..

You do realize you would also be committing an act of fraud against the Federal Government, seems like a good way to get a free federal stay in a pound me in the *** facility.

Last edited by WYATT318MOPAR; 07-28-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So you're supposed to put safety at risk? I mean you could potentially send rods flying through the block/side of the car running it at WOT with no oil in it. Sounds like a great idea.....
Old 07-28-2009, 05:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chevy8806
Now im sure by now that most of us have heard about the cash for clunkers program our government has established. I am a technician for a Saturn dealership and have all the resources to pull this off.

This is what i see:

A person trades in a full size GM pickup or large suv. The thing gets 15-18 mpg and they want to buy a new idk... 4cyl Aura (idk why just roll with me). The truck qualifies for the gov program and get the $4500 trade in value.

Now i get the car and under the rules of the program, any vehicle that is traded in under the program we are to Drain all oil in engine. Put "special" solution in the engine. Then run the thing at wot till it dies!

What if i could get my hands on a LQ motor, swap it, then ship the truck?
Big brother wont know.

What do you think?
I think big brother will see a different VIN on the engine than on the truck and send you to a federal pound me in the *** prison.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:05 PM
11 Second Club

i just did one today the first one and what they are doing is its a crushed glass solution and bleach and the glass and what ever else is in it just scratch's the inside of the motor up so bad and locks things up so bad. then the car get sent out to be crushed and scraped but what i dont get is why dont they part out the cars and sell the parts i mean come on try to make back as much money as we can right. But i think they are not going to know it the right engine is in there cuz all of its getting scrapped anyway. i was thinking of trying it if something good came in but i dont think anything will.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
I think big brother will see a different VIN on the engine than on the truck and send you to a federal pound me in the *** prison.
Because nobody with an older car out of warrenty does not change and engine in their garage.... I doubt they are going to look to close as long as it is the same type engine that came in it.......

To the OP, if they are trashing them and as long as your boss did not care and you swaped and engine I don't see the harm in it..... now posting it online were big brother can read it and send out a memo saying not to do this is not to smart.

If it was me and they are just going to recycle the cars/trucks and melt them down then who cares about the engine? They are junking them anywayse unless the the solution does not lock them up and is for shipping only but I doubt it..... they are not going to put it into another car and put it on the showroom floor..... I knew a guy that was a tech that got a 6.0 Iron block motor for free...... they replaced it under warrenty (bad cam bearing) and the hurt motor ended up it the back of his pick up truck...... if I remember right they were going to trash it and he asked his boss if he could have it and his boss said something like "once it is in the trash I could care less what happens to it after that" type deal.

Some ideas are good ideas but should be kept to yourself and a few select co-workers haha.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 206 Likes on 125 Posts

AINT you sapost to pour liquid nails in the motor ?
Old 07-28-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

i say do it, take the engine...this cash for clunkers program is just a joke...

dont crush the cars, give them to charities that can use them...

this program is just another handout for the poor person who doesnt try to succeed in life
Old 07-29-2009, 03:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Whats the rules to this program? has to be no older than 25 years? I would just go buy a total shitbox for $200 that still drives and give them that. and yeah for certain trades that sure is a waste if they just blow them up
Old 07-29-2009, 08:46 AM
10 Second Club

I was watching msnbc and Ray Lahood said all the vehicles will be going to junk yards so all the parts could be salvaged helping others find parts for their old cars. It sounds like a win, win for the used parts dealers and public all the way around. But just know us as tax payers are footing the bill, so in all reality were paying for others' 4500 dollar trade in. I'd do it if it was me. They don't care about the car, but they do care about getting the majority of the public into a small gas friendly car from what I understand by seeing Ray Lahood on television.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah the solution somewhat glues **** together or at least it's supposed to so rods don't fly out and **** lol. But anyway I wouldn't try it. You know they are going to be watching that kind of thing PLUS I think that the junkyards have some form they have to fill out and checking for numbers on the motor is one of them
Old 07-29-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by litemup02
Whats the rules to this program? has to be no older than 25 years? I would just go buy a total shitbox for $200 that still drives and give them that. and yeah for certain trades that sure is a waste if they just blow them up
You have to have it regestired and insurned under your name for at least year straigt up till the day you want to turn it in.

Originally Posted by Ethan[ws6]
I think that the junkyards have some form they have to fill out and checking for numbers on the motor is one of them
So if someone had a motor go and did a swap then they will be hosed???? I doubt it... as long as it does not have a 4 banger in place of a 350 I doubt they will care..........

What about they guys that have swaped trannies for an auto or a stick???? Guess they would be hosed also....

With the OP swaping a aluminum motor for an Iron one would be a little obvious but people do it... In other words pulling an Iron block motor out of a truck and putting an aluminum one in.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I doubt anyone would notice/care. I'd say go for it, if you find anything nice.

However, WTF is up with them crushing the cars? If these trade ins are at least running decent, they should definitely be donated or taken to a shop that can fix whatever small thigns are wrong then sell them for low $$$. Hell, I'd be willing to take the running cars in and re-sell them on my own.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The more i read about cash for clunkers the more i cringe about my eventual taxes to our government. I'm 22 years old............
Old 07-29-2009, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
You have to have it regestired and insurned under your name for at least year straigt up till the day you want to turn it in.
Oh i see...figured there would be a catch
Old 07-29-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by CHRRRIS
I doubt anyone would notice/care. I'd say go for it, if you find anything nice.

However, WTF is up with them crushing the cars? If these trade ins are at least running decent, they should definitely be donated or taken to a shop that can fix whatever small thigns are wrong then sell them for low $$$. Hell, I'd be willing to take the running cars in and re-sell them on my own.
Im sure there is a stipulation stating that the dealer or anyone else can't buy the car........... Something tells me though that most if not all the cars being turned in are worth less then the 4k because why would you want to take the hit??? Unless you are taking it to a Dodge/Chrysler dealership to get the 9k or whatever... chances are some of those cars are will be a little newer and wroth more..... but then if you had some 80's rusted out junk and they gave you 9k for it...... SWEET!

They should give them to charities and stuff but that would defeat the purpose of getting them off the road and helping with the polution and stuff......

Ill keep my Sunbird and its 30+MPG.... The best 1,200 I ever spent....
Old 07-30-2009, 06:42 AM
Staging Lane

The bad thing about the program is a person must buy a new car and to get the $4500 trade, the new car must get 10mpg more than the clunker. I think it is a little less if you buy a truck though.

If im not mistaken the gov has done this before in the 70's.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:21 AM
11 Second Club

DOT document on this. Look at page 127. Not supposed to rev it to the moon.

http://blog.mlive.com/auto_impact/20...r-clunkers.pdf
Old 07-30-2009, 10:30 AM
11 Second Club

we have over 30 clunkers in are back lot they are really starting to add up i work for a VW Audi dealer and they are rooling them in dam

Quick Reply: Cash for Clunkers; i can get a free engine!