Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Any Ohio guys have COLLECTOR plates on an fbody?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called the Columbus BMV today and asked what I needed to provide with all my paperwork(assuming my 95 V6 camaro was not on the list)and it is $5k in receipts WITH pictures of everything done to match with receipts. I have a couple of pictures of my car but not what they want documenting a build. Also I have bought a lot of stuff off here and craigslist so I do not have receipts of everything.. let alone $5k. They said that was not acceptable anyways.

Well I called back and talked to someone else and just asked if my car was on the list. She asked me if it was a Z28 or V6 and I told her it was a V6 from the factory but I swapped a V8. So she told me I needed pictures and $5k in receipts since I modified the car. Anyways, the V6 and Z28 were on the list so I just mailed the paperwork in. Hopefully they accept it without needing anything else.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:48 PM
Launching!

Just got a letter from the BMV.

"In order to qualify for a collector's plate you must show copies of receipts totaling at least $5000 for modifications or vehicle enhancements along with pictures of the vehicle; OR get a letter from the manufacturer stating that the vehicle is a limited production of 8,000 or less"

I'm about to do H/C but that is not going to be much more then $3k. Purchases from LS1 tech don't count. Anyone have there expensive cat-back and longtube receipt's laying around?
Old 03-10-2011, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Updated original post
Old 03-10-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Regular

I don't quite have 5k in my car yet, but my flame red cloth inserts are 1 of 643 for 1999 model year? maybe i could use that and prove it's "rare".

hmm...i don't have e-check in this area though...
Old 03-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Teching In

The benefit to me was dramatically reduced insurance cost... a little over $200.00 a year in total for my insurance on the car. I could not get a specialty vehicle insurance rate with out the state of OH recognizing the car as a collector car, ie the necessity for collector plates. I think my insurance was going to be around $800 a year without the collector plate designation.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Tobias05
I don't quite have 5k in my car yet, but my flame red cloth inserts are 1 of 643 for 1999 model year? maybe i could use that and prove it's "rare".

hmm...i don't have e-check in this area though...
My car is not rare nor was I trying to prove that. I just needed to avoid emissions. Spending $400+ on a catted Y or registering my car in another county without e-check was not an option.

Originally Posted by BadBadGirlfriend
The benefit to me was dramatically reduced insurance cost... a little over $200.00 a year in total for my insurance on the car. I could not get a specialty vehicle insurance rate with out the state of OH recognizing the car as a collector car, ie the necessity for collector plates. I think my insurance was going to be around $800 a year without the collector plate designation.
Good point. I only have liability on the Camaro and it's pretty cheap for me. I think I will see how much more it will cost to add full coverage with the collector status. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Any Ohio guys have COLLECTOR plates on an fbody?