Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Zip Tie Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zip Tie Mod?

I heard from a few people that a zip tie mod on my 2001 TA would increase my rwhp. Is this true and can it damage my car in any way?
Old 09-01-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never heard of any such thing related to a zip tie. I think your friends were messing with you.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:46 PM
11 Second Club

I've never heard of a zip tie mod.. what did they say it consisted of.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

No dude I have it it works great. Just drill two holes in your hood, and two in your bumper. Run the zip tie through the two top to the two bottom(I prefer black). It's equal to about a 25 shot of teh NOS.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:13 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So if we install more than two ties will we get even more power? Heading out to the trail blazer with a drill and a whole pack of ties right now! Supernova what size holes should I be drilling?
Old 09-02-2010, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know vette guys have a zip tie mod, no idea whats its all about though.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

guys.......
i tried white zip ties first..... then black zip ties.....then i tried white & black mixed.......anybody have any gray zip ties i could try next?

i have to get it to the track, because my but meter must be off....

or maybe i used the wrong drill bit size?

BringBackTheBird seriously never heard of the zip tie mod.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Regular

how much does it cost? is it better with a tune?
Old 09-02-2010, 12:44 PM
TECH Regular

Zip tie mod for vettes -
Simply taking off the restrictive stock air cleaner cover and holding the filter element in place with a few zip ties. it is worth the effort as the early C5's had a very restrictive cover.If you do the mod, be aware that the element is more exposed to water and you might want to add the front hood seal too.
Taken from corvetteforum.
And here's another link:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/corvette-...p-tie-mod.html
Old 09-02-2010, 12:47 PM
FLP
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
So if we install more than two ties will we get even more power? Heading out to the trail blazer with a drill and a whole pack of ties right now! Supernova what size holes should I be drilling?
19/32's is the correct size.

And adding more than two ties will increase the total RWHP gain but not on a linear plane. In this case 2 + 2 does not equal 4, it is slightly higher so add as many as you would like!!
Old 09-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Teching In

try to use a hole saw like a 3" it will make the mod more aerodynamic and you may wanna look into the duct tape mod...
Old 09-05-2010, 10:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Way to make the new guy feel welcome guys... He'll probably never post again with responses like that...

But I gotta say I got a chuckle from supernova
Old 09-09-2010, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

better watch out. You may have to add some -10HP stickers to make it street legal afterwards
Old 09-09-2010, 06:16 PM
The House is Rockin'

i have the zip tie mod, i first started with the more powerful "blue" zipties, hp increase was very noticable, and torque was also very nice. then i went to home depot and decided to go all out and purchased a set of "red" zipties, knowing the amount of power these babies can produce i exercised extreme caution. installation went very smoothly, once every thing was ready to go i took it out for a test drive, and what a difference between "blue" and "red", i couldnt keep the smile off my face on the ride home. if i get some slicks on this truck, those front wheels just have to lift off the ground. overall i am thoroughly satisfied with my ziptie mod.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Zip tie the throttle wide open, get in the car and start it, through her in gear and hang on
Old 09-09-2010, 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLUES MAN
i have the zip tie mod, i first started with the more powerful "blue" zipties, hp increase was very noticable, and torque was also very nice. then i went to home depot and decided to go all out and purchased a set of "red" zipties, knowing the amount of power these babies can produce i exercised extreme caution. installation went very smoothly, once every thing was ready to go i took it out for a test drive, and what a difference between "blue" and "red", i couldnt keep the smile off my face on the ride home. if i get some slicks on this truck, those front wheels just have to lift off the ground. overall i am thoroughly satisfied with my ziptie mod.
First off you can't run the red zip ties on the street. Another thing with the red zip ties is that u need to pull some timing up top, if you don't, you could damage your muffler bearing from what I was told..
Old 09-09-2010, 08:54 PM
The House is Rockin'

Originally Posted by spaz1
First off you can't run the red zip ties on the street. Another thing with the red zip ties is that u need to pull some timing up top, if you don't, you could damage your muffler bearing from what I was told..
i know i cant run them on the street, its now a weekend warrior.

im planning on having my tuner address the timing issue at my next dyno session, im expecting to see some major gains since the blue to red swap, but from judging from the butt dyno this thing is gonna produce some massive numbers. i should probably have him also refill my blinker fluid while he's at it too.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

man screw your red and blue ones. i installed the pinks ones yesterday, and i tell you it is about equal to about a 200 shot. Only problem is i keep fowling plugs out. i'm thinking of taking them out and melting a whole bunch of ties and dipping the plugs in the melted stew, then screw them back in. Hopefully this will stop the fowling!
Old 09-09-2010, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by spaz1
I heard as long as you keep an eye on your plug wire oil you're safe for a while. I don't understand running the red ones tho, the blue's improved my 60' by .2, gotta love that low end.

Quick Reply: Zip Tie Mod?