Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

New Illinois Speeding Laws for 2011

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most cars are totally safe at 100mph, if they aren't than they weren't at 55 either. And I've hit 85 passing cars in a 55 zone plenty of times, 30 over is nothing. Saying people are trying to be race car drivers when they are going 30 over is just dumb. 30 over in a crowded area/or in packed traffic is retarded, but doing it on an open highway late at night isn't doing any harm.

I think a better way to do it is have different fines for people that are speeding in crowded/packed traffic areas and those who are doing it when nobody else is on the road.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't know about this. I was doing over 100 the other day playing with a Mercedes. I'll have to keep it under 30 over from now on.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Launching!

How come I haven't heard a thing about this until today... this is a set law???! what a joke.

OH: and and I agree with what gocart said... yeah I get pissed when I see some kid driving like "KEN BLOCK MANN!" in heavy traffic or street racing in town, but late at night alone on a freeway...

Last edited by RedfoxGTO; 01-08-2011 at 08:36 PM. Reason: :)
Old 01-08-2011, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vette0009
I'd move out of there

with all the inflated taxes and New laws,

I live in California and I was pulled over after Whipping my car completely sideways, And the cop let me go without a ticket,lol

He said the only reason he pulled me over ,Was to make sure I had'nt Stolen the car,lol

Arizona and Nevada are much more Car friendly place's
And they both have nice Tracks
A guy living in California is advising people to move out of IL because of strict new motor vehicle laws?? Come on, let's not be TOO hyprocritical now. From what I'm told, driving a car in Cali means that it's either going to get stolen or you're going to get hassled by the cops for illegally modifying it. You want to talk about emissions and inspections? Or maybe traffic and cost of car ownership? Seriously, there are so many reasons to move to California but we all know that their car-hating **** culture isn't one of those.

I also have friends in Arizona who confirm what I see on my Google KLM here (I manage a database of national redlight and speed cameras). Phoenix is beyond flooded with speed cameras, they may as well have them in every driveway to catch the speeders; and as someone who has never lived in a Republican state, this seems rediculous to me. I'd rather do 85mph on I-94 with 2 tickets every 10 years than be stuck with 55.00 / 65.00 mph with a damn near certainty of paying a fine when the speedcamera nails me.

I rarely speed but if I'm doing 95mph past a cop, it would be very difficult for me not to take my chances in a chase. If I'm paying crazy fines and looking at Bubba's cockmeat sandwiches, you better believe I'd be all in.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:09 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970
You might think? you are some badass professional racecar driver, but the guy in front of you is not.
It is probably some normal family, mom with kids, ect and the difference in speed is something they will definitely not expect.
I'm not a big speeder myself, I usually cruise right about 60-70mph on the expressway, depending on the car I'm driving at the time, and if conditions allow (granted, like just about everyone here I've done my share of WOT bursts as well, from time to time). But personally, I'm more worried about the distracted mom with the screaming kids and/or texting/cell phone than I am about the guy passing me in an open left lane on the Edens at 2am going 85mph.

Almost forgot. The reason for the 55 is supposed to be for congested area's only.
My memory might be feeling the effects of age, but as I recall, the original reason for the federally mandated 55mph limits was fuel savings. It's time we moved away from that number, on ALL expressways.

Say what ever you want, but some idiots reply trying to justify that 30 over shouldn't be a big deal,
means less then nothing to me, and I don't debate with the mentally deficient!!

Did everyone see that they raised I-355 to 65 mph. They did their test, and decided it was safe for 65.
There is a reason for why they do what they do, even though I don't agree with some of the limits either.
The only thing deficient here is if anyone is fooled into thinking this all about safety. The usual reason for "doing what they do" is money. If safety was the only concern, then cars would all be factory limited to 65-70mph.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 01-09-2011 at 05:15 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:39 AM
Launching!

leave it to Illinois the same great state that brought us Obama......
Old 01-09-2011, 06:07 PM
10 Second Club

^^^ Hey Where's the "LIKE" Button at.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Launching!

What a bunch of morons...
Yes. Its scarry what some people think.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

I think alot of you are missing the point. I am from IL and they dont care about anyones safety its all about the money! Look at how much the fine is in this broke *** state, I also doubt you would even get jailtime...as long as you pay the fine they dont want to have you in jail because that just takes money out of your fine to feed and clothe you. Its the same deal as the BS window tint law, it has nothing to do with safety its just a cash cow. In every other state its legal and if the cop is scared he can get out his loud speaker and tell you to put all the windows down.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Front window tint isn't legal in every state. I don't know where you came up with that.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

This new law is just as lame having to pay for window stickers...its just another way to make money!

Last edited by riceburnerZ28; 01-22-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
Front window tint isn't legal in every state. I don't know where you came up with that.
X2, it's fully legal in IL too. IL is one of the better states for it even, they let you have 35% there. 50% here, so no matter what I get it will be illegal ha.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gocartone
X2, it's fully legal in IL too. IL is one of the better states for it even, they let you have 35% there. 50% here, so no matter what I get it will be illegal ha.
Having a black car makes 5% tint legal, or at least it should!

Anyway, I suppose it boils down to the state government's bottom line. We all know that it goes something akin to revenue minus expense minus corruption padding. That equates to something like -$12B nowadays. As citizens, we can either vote out the corruption or try out best to not get nailed by these fees and fines. That is, let other people take the brunt of this (ala property tax appeals)

But yeah, we've been voting for "change" and "no corruption!" since the second election in this country and state. I hate political threads and posts (like this one), but my whole point was that there's not much we can do except make sure not to get caught.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Quick99Si
I also have friends in Arizona who confirm what I see on my Google KLM here (I manage a database of national redlight and speed cameras). Phoenix is beyond flooded with speed cameras, they may as well have them in every driveway to catch the speeders; and as someone who has never lived in a Republican state, this seems rediculous to me. I'd rather do 85mph on I-94 with 2 tickets every 10 years than be stuck with 55.00 / 65.00 mph with a damn near certainty of paying a fine when the speedcamera nails me.
You don't have to pay those fines....I've been camera'd five times and they send a notice. If you don't reply and they never come and serve you you don't have to pay the fine. Speed cameras are a joke in Arizona.

I have dropped it into third to pass someone and looked down when my overspeed chime comes on and noticed I'm doing 110 or something pretty easily....all these cars have the possibility of that. Speed laws in most states are all about the money. In Las Vegas, NV now all you have to do is pay the fine and its "reduced" to a parking ticket. No points..... Get that? You pay the speeding fine, your ticket is reduced to a parking ticket and no points on your license....you can get as many tickets as you want so long as you pay the fines...its all about revenue.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

What a bunch of morons. There is absolutely no reason to ever go 30 over on any road.
You might think? you are some badass professional racecar driver, but the guy in front of you is not.
It is probably some normal family, mom with kids, ect and the difference in speed is something they will definitely not expect.
If you need to show off for some stupid buddy of yours, or some little cutie, go to a track of some kind.

Say what ever you want, but some idiots reply trying to justify that 30 over shouldn't be a big deal,
means less then nothing to me, and I don't debate with the mentally deficient!!
Especially something that is so obviously correct, needed, and should be an even bigger deal.
30 over, automatic & immediate suspension, no excuses.
As the police officer interviewed said, even going to a hospital, 30 over will not get you there that much quicker,
and might not get you there at all!!

Almost forgot. The reason for the 55 is supposed to be for congested area's only.
Did everyone see that they raised I-355 to 65 mph. They did their test, and decided it was safe for 65.
There is a reason for why they do what they do, even though I don't agree with some of the limits either.

arent we high and mighty , this law seems bs. Am i saying its safe to drive 100+ no, do i think i am being much safer with both hands on the wheel focusing with every fiber of my being at 110 than some mom with three screaming kids and texting is at 65, you can bet your *** i do. what ever happened to punishment fitting the crime? Hell on a sport bike 90-95 is just cruising speed, there just as stable and safe at that speed as they are at 55. Proud to be from missouri and not obama land
Old 01-24-2011, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Fortunately I live about 10 minutes from the Wisconsin border. So I can drive & ride there if I want to crank it up and not worry about this new law.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

THAT SUCKS not to mention your insurance goes way up yet another reason why i didn't live in the most corrupt state!
Old 02-16-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was born in IL and just moved back from NV to IL a year ago. I can not stand the drivers here thinking everyone is on their schedule and driving like Ms. Daisy. Thank god I am Moving back to the west coast now to get away from the Obamaland, insane 55 mph speed limits on tollways, red light camera's and 66% increase overnight in income tax etc...

Last edited by chitown21y; 02-16-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 02-18-2011, 04:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thankfully I've never had a speeding ticket, just tickets for everything else u can do in a sports car( roasting tires,loud exhaust ect..)But doing 150mph on I-55 is just a great feeling when its dead clear. That's 90 over never really think about how dangerous that is. Nowhere near the laws in Wisconsin. U can have a DUI and they let u drive home.

Quick Reply: New Illinois Speeding Laws for 2011