Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Nervous... Trying to pick a tuner.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nervous... Trying to pick a tuner.

Damn.. reading through all the threads on the different tuners.... It seems like everbody sucks. I was so excited to finish this car after 2.5 years... but now I just wanna tear it apart and get out while I can... lol. im only 22 and ive spent every dime over the past 3 years on this car...

Idk... Vector? Livernois? EVI?

Seems like there is no good decision, everyone has a bad rep...

I felt pretty good yesterday, talking on the phone with the guy at Vector... but then I came on here...

and I saw Livernois, and I was like "oh yea", but then i looked them up... and guess what. More bad experiences.

So.. I dont know.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you'll hear bad experience from every shop, its impossible to keep everyone happy. You need to go with whoever you feel most comfortable with.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:08 AM
9 Second Club

Speed Inc
Old 05-11-2011, 09:34 AM
9 Second Club

Jim Moran of Speed Inc tuned my car. I've had zero issues with it.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Detroitmuscle
you'll hear bad experience from every shop, its impossible to keep everyone happy. You need to go with whoever you feel most comfortable with.
I guess... thats sure how it seems. too bad...

I will be going with Vector. Nice people, easy to get ahold of...

I was on hold with Livernois today for a few minutes and said nevermind. I know they are a bigger shop, so it goes with the territory.

Jason at Katech recommended Vector, i guess thats good enough for me.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PUNISHER TA
I guess... thats sure how it seems. too bad...

I will be going with Vector. Nice people, easy to get ahold of...

I was on hold with Livernois today for a few minutes and said nevermind. I know they are a bigger shop, so it goes with the territory.

Jason at Katech recommended Vector, i guess thats good enough for me.
I would go with Livernois any day of the week. My Camaro when I had it, was tuned by every shop around. I finally went to Livernois (even though they were more money) because everyone else had touched it. Within 45 minutes they had my car running better than anyone else that had tuned it did. a couple days later I had a car that went from unbearable to drive and got 14 MPG to a car that was reliable, drove great, and got over 25 MPG...

You are right, every shop will have people that had their bad experiences, I look at it this way though, out of everyone you have listed only 1 of them has been around longer than 5 or 6 years. Livernois. I also know from my own research that it appears that the vast majority of the complaints was back when they had multiple tuners working there. Now, it is only Dan Millen that does the tuning work. That is who tuned my Camaro, and I would never go anywhere else after he did the "impossible" with my car as every shop before Livernois told me there was something wrong with my car and thats why I had issues.

Also, when you call Livernois, actually listen to the prompts. I'm sure a lot of people press 1 or 0 when you call some place, but I know for a fact if you press 2 for vehicle work it sends you to the desk of the vehicle department, and then forwards you to their cell phone if they aren't at the desk.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 88ls1blazer
I would go with Livernois any day of the week. My Camaro when I had it, was tuned by every shop around. I finally went to Livernois (even though they were more money) because everyone else had touched it. Within 45 minutes they had my car running better than anyone else that had tuned it did. a couple days later I had a car that went from unbearable to drive and got 14 MPG to a car that was reliable, drove great, and got over 25 MPG...

You are right, every shop will have people that had their bad experiences, I look at it this way though, out of everyone you have listed only 1 of them has been around longer than 5 or 6 years. Livernois. I also know from my own research that it appears that the vast majority of the complaints was back when they had multiple tuners working there. Now, it is only Dan Millen that does the tuning work. That is who tuned my Camaro, and I would never go anywhere else after he did the "impossible" with my car as every shop before Livernois told me there was something wrong with my car and thats why I had issues.

Also, when you call Livernois, actually listen to the prompts. I'm sure a lot of people press 1 or 0 when you call some place, but I know for a fact if you press 2 for vehicle work it sends you to the desk of the vehicle department, and then forwards you to their cell phone if they aren't at the desk.
lol, yea, i dont get good reception at my desk, (as I was walking outside) so i missed the prompts, and just guessed 1... maybe ill give them another go.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:13 PM
12 Second Club

Maybe talk to Mike Norris here in Indy? http://www.mikenorrismotorsports.com/Dyno___Tuning.html
Old 05-11-2011, 09:04 PM
10 Second Club

There is another guy in MI that could tune for you, his name is Phil. Jeremy at RPM Transmissions could get you his info if you needed it.

-James

Last edited by LT1Formula007; 06-03-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, everything you said makes sense. I do plan on driving this everyday.

I totally forgot about Phil... I talked to him awhile ago, and he told me to give him a call when I was ready. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phil is who I use and I would recommend him highly.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:14 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Jim at Speed Inc. Has tuned my car since 2002. From a 12 second car to a 7 second car. With Speed Inc being as busy as they are, tuning LS1's 5 days a week 8 hrs a day for how many years? Well there's no wonder why customers fly him across the world to tune their cars.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:51 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by PUNISHER TA
Yea, everything you said makes sense. I do plan on driving this everyday.

I totally forgot about Phil... I talked to him awhile ago, and he told me to give him a call when I was ready. Thanks for the reminder.
No Problem...
Old 05-24-2011, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, I had kinda decided on Vector, but not knowing exactly when my car would be done, I didnt want to schedule a tune, but now the end is near... and they're booked for two weeks.. Can't wait that long... damn, probably gonna hear the same thing from most people...
Old 05-24-2011, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lastls1
jim at speed inc. Has tuned my car since 2002. From a 12 second car to a 7 second car. With speed inc being as busy as they are, tuning ls1's 5 days a week 8 hrs a day for how many years? Well there's no wonder why customers fly him across the world to tune their cars.
bingo!

Quick Reply: Nervous... Trying to pick a tuner.