Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Chicago guys, do you know this car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 04:17 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Chicago guys, do you know this car?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/2667185907.html

I am looking to pick up another LS1 car before the winter. I had seen this car listed a couple of months ago but never called on it. Well, it is back up again and I am more motivated than ever to find a clean LS1 car for right at or less than $6,000.

If anyone has seen this car, or knows the person selling it that would be great. Even better if someone would go and take a look at it for me to save me from driving 5+ hours and it turning out to be a dud. I did that this past weekend on a 99 Z28 in Wisconsin. The car had rusty undercarriage and scratches all over, contrary to what the seller sent me and told me numerous times over the phone.

Shoot me a PM or reply here if anyone knows anything or if anyone would be willing to help me out.

Thanks guys!
Old 10-26-2011, 04:28 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,244 Posts

I don't know the car, but can tell you this: with 128k on the body, if it's been in IL it's whole life and wasn't parked every winter, then I can assure you it will have rust on the undercarrige just like that other car you mentioned.

If you want a mid-western car that is totally rust free, you'll need to look for low(er) mileage garage queens, and they will cost more than $6k. If you want a good deal on a rust free car and don't care about mileage, then you'll need to look in the south and southwest regions of the country.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:55 PM
9 Second Club

Thanks for the reply.

I am very well aware that if the car has not been stored every winter then there will be some rust on the undercarriage. I can handle some surface rust on the undercarriage. The car in Wisconsin that I mentioned had rust all inside the wheel wells and was just flat out not taken care of. I have owned enough of these cars to know what I want in a car and am certain it could be had in my price range. I just need to remind myself that what I am currently looking for will not even be close to the shape my 2000 SS was as it only had 42k miles on it when it was sold last fall.

Anyway, just trying to look for a good condition car body wise that I can have fun with for the next few years. I think that if the car linked above was in good shape body wise it wouldn't be a terrible deal, even if the transmission needs an overhaul.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was actually closer to the city I'd go take a look for ya, but Carpentersville is a little far from me. If you find anything actually in the city or south of the city, let me know.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:52 AM
TECH Regular

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...item2c604368b5

I've got mine up for sale and I promise you the body is a 9.5 out of 10. The only flaw is a light, light door ding on the passenger quarter. Could easily be PDR'd.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:51 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1badWS6
If it was actually closer to the city I'd go take a look for ya, but Carpentersville is a little far from me. If you find anything actually in the city or south of the city, let me know.
Appreciate your help. I will let you know if I find anything else.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:14 AM
TECH Resident

Yep, anytime man.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

I'd keep looking, $6k for a car that needs a tranny rebuild and has 130k miles is too much IMO.

I can relate to driving a long ways to find a car isn't how it is...A few years ago I drove a 600 mile round trip to buy a car, only to find out it had shitty body work done on the rear quarter panel(even after pointing it out he swore it never had body work, carfax was clean, bondo work was clear as day), brakes were totally gone, and the interior shots he sent me were years old showing the interior in perfect condition; yet when I got there it was all beat to hell, cracked, and falling apart.

Quick Reply: Chicago guys, do you know this car?