Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

where are all the oklahoma guys?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

@redhotv: nice to meet you. I have a 78 Malibu I'm working on for a ls1 swap. It's taking me forever because I'm also working on my TransAm.
Every seems to having trouble with there 6 speed. Have you guys ever here of liberty gears? That's where all the shops that build them things send your parts to have them face Plated and matchined and whatever else they do to them.
Liberty is famous for building cluchless Transmission bu is also a tremec dealer. You can get there best tremec 6 speed for our cars for something like $3100.00 liberty has the fastest 6 speed Transmission record deep into the 8 with a nitrous comaro. If you have a 6 speed i would check them out.
Oh,Mike, are you swapping in a stock auto in your car?
Old 06-10-2012, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by exodus_gs1
Nice to meet you, ^^^ hope you can get that beast running and come out some time.

@kyoytey, are all those cars and the bike yours in your sig?

And did anyone besides me go to 39th? There was a black lt1 body style Camaro had a 3" cowl and sounded like open headers. Just wondering if anyone knows him/her or saw it also.
All except the caliber with pink stripes. Thats the gf's
Old 06-10-2012, 10:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O damn I didn't notice that (on my phone) but hell yea that's sick... All of them and its really sick that your girl has the strips also. Wish my wife was more into cars. What kind of bike is that?
Old 06-11-2012, 01:12 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah she's really into cars. She was a huge Mustang fan before I got a hold of her. But now she has seen the light hence the GS stripes... She's branded! Tho I do find a Mustang every now and then that I like. Maybe she rubbed off on me a little.

The bike is an 05 ZX6 Ninja. I want to trade it for an 07 ZX10 but have other priorities ahead of.

Speaking of Mustangs, the Mid America Shelby meet is next week I think. They always have a car show at the Marriot by my house (71st and Lewis) anyone going?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And I wanna see some new numbers with your h/c/i setup
Shoot me too, LOL. It has never touched a dyno or been tuned yet. Still running on a stock tune with typical simple edits done to it. We did pull 4* timing when we did the edits cause I was goin to spray it before I went H/C. I also run it on 87 from Jim's Sinclair over on Pine. No ethanol gas ever enters my tank. I monitor it with a Aeroforce scan gauge & rarely ever get knock & when I do its only when the engine is lugged in too high a gear. And even then its very minimal & goes away fast. I'm averaging about 280 miles per tank right now. Last time to the track I spun through 3rd feathering it on street tires. MPH was there for a decent pass. I'm excited to see how much a built stalled auto with 3.73's improves my ET. I'm gonna guess low 12's. I'll have no choice but to tune it after the auto swap as well so that should also help out.

Since I'm not tryin to milk every ounce of HP out of it I might even have it tuned to 87. Sinclair doesnt carry 91 ethanol free & I really dont wanna change gas stations cause I have a charge account there, LOL. I think it'll be fine running N/A on a tune like that, hell its running fine now with no tune on 87, LOL. People always cringe when I tell them that, but its true. I have had zero negative side effects in the past 70k miles the combo has been on untuned on 87.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:49 AM
TECH Resident

Thats interesting about he 87. I always question what we really get out of the pumps. You know they will never tell us the truth. I go to the taliban station at 71st and yale that says 100% gasoline but who really knows if that is true?

With all the myths and rumors that surround gasoline mixtures, octane ratings, ethanol to gasoline ratios, I dont know that we would believe the truth even if we were told it.

Damn, I got a little off subject there huh?
Old 06-11-2012, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
Thats interesting about he 87. I always question what we really get out of the pumps. You know they will never tell us the truth. I go to the taliban station at 71st and yale that says 100% gasoline but who really knows if that is true?

With all the myths and rumors that surround gasoline mixtures, octane ratings, ethanol to gasoline ratios, I dont know that we would believe the truth even if we were told it.

Damn, I got a little off subject there huh?
Well I can tell you this from my own little personal experiment. When they officially announced & made all the station label their pumps I used to always use QT. I noticed alot of knock retard as well as poor MPG. So I filled my tank at QT & monitored how many times I got knock & how many miles I got per tank. It averaged out to about 200 miles per tank. Then I went to the Sinclair cause our company has an account there. Talked to the owner Jim & he verified he doesnt buy ethanol gas, only regular & he cant invest in regular 91 cause 95% of his customer are little daily drivers. So I tried out a tank of 87 from him. It was and always is a few cents higher than QT, but I lost almost all knock(except as stated previously) & picked up 80 miles per tank in mileage. Only change was gas used, I did not alter my driving style at all. I also noticed a smoother idle & little better throttle response. Havent looked back since.

Although plenty of people think I'm nuts putting 87 in a H/C car, LOL. But its working just fine. So I have had no reason to not run it. Maybe not being tuned is the key? Since I dont have advanced timing & what not.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:37 AM
12 Second Club

Dude that's crazy about running 87, im so scared of doing that lol. I use to have a 91 Lexus ls400 and put 87 in it and ran like **** so haven't done it since. But that's awesome you can lol. And that 280 to a tank is that till you light comes on? And also is that with the 3:73's or did I read that wrong? Cause I have 4:11's and full exhaust and get about 220-240 before the light and I don't even have a damn cam lol.

And kyoytey that's awesome about your girl, I use to be a ford guy even bought a 67 mustang and got a mustang tattoo then my buddy got a Camaro roller and by the time we finished installing the motor trans and what not I was hooked lol. My wife like to go fast and beat people but can't understand getting more mods... Fml lol. One day I hope to make her understand
Old 06-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Heading to TDP next week to have a Stage 2 trans put in the car. Possibly a clutch, but hopefully that wont be necessary.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:35 PM
12 Second Club

Hey Burnstacp where did you get all get the gto work done and can you give more specifics? My buddy has an 04 and the way he talks he can't do much to it without going all out... But that could just be the way he wants to do it lol
Old 06-19-2012, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New guy to Oklahoma City here!
Old 06-19-2012, 11:23 AM
Teching In

I had my GTO work done when I was stationed at Ft Campbell. I drove down to Spectacle Solutions in Memphis to have the work done. Although some, like the clutch and headers, were done in the garage. They did the H/C setup and the tuning. Good dudes. What specifics are you looking for?

******EDIT*****
When I have the trans built next week I'm looking at upgrading the clutch. I have an LS7 (pressure plate and friction disc) in there now with just about 1500 miles on it, but it's probably not as beefy as what I'd like with the power the car is putting out. Is anyone interested in picking it up at a discounted rate?

Last edited by burnstacp; 06-19-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:47 PM
12 Second Club

Dude that's crazy about running 87, im so scared of doing that lol. I use to have a 91 Lexus ls400 and put 87 in it and ran like **** so haven't done it since. But that's awesome you can lol. And that 280 to a tank is that till you light comes on? And also is that with the 3:73's or did I read that wrong? Cause I have 4:11's and full exhaust and get about 220-240 before the light and I don't even have a damn cam lol.
I cant just run any 87 though, it has to be Ethanol free. Currently I'm still running the stock 3.42's but my combo is untuned & has been for 70k miles. My gas light never comes on, I usually fill up with 1/8th of a tank left. I dont like to run it till the light with this Racetronix pump installed. Its hard enough on the stock pump doin that.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:13 PM
12 Second Club

@burns: So did you just have the stock heads ported and polished? And also what brand of cam? And if you where running the stock heads did you upgrade the valve springs?

@big mike: So your getting 280 with an 1/8 left???? That's crazy I wish I could.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:03 AM
12 Second Club

@big mike: So your getting 280 with an 1/8 left???? That's crazy I wish I could.
Yep, I reset my trip after each fill-up. If I just drive normal its 280 like clock work, if I do more "spirited" driving sometimes I'll only get 240ish. I drive 25 miles each way to work every day & usually leave on my lunch & Tuesday/Thursdays after work go across town to the gym to train. I fill up once a week.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:54 AM
12 Second Club

Well SOB!!! I need to do something different lol I drive about 40 miles one way to work and its all highway then I'll go straight home and only get 240 before the light if im lucky. Maybe I also need to to do my own testing.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:28 AM
12 Second Club

Hey guys, just incase someone local is interested, I'll have a stock black Firebird hood with true flame air-brushed design for sale locally. It was painted by ChevyChad & he is giving it to me to sell since he moved outta state for a job & just sold his house here. Its still in the garage at the house he sold so I'll be picking it up within the next 2 weeks.

Right now he has it listed for $350, not bad for a good hood with custom airbrush work done. PM me if interested.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Teching In

The heads were ported 241s but they had been put on a flow bench and out did ported 243s by a good bit actually. I really don't remember the brand of cam. It's been so long and there have been so many other mods in between lol. They springs and stuff had all been upgraded to support the cam.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:21 PM
12 Second Club

Ok cool man thanks for the info.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

Mike, does he still have his TA?

Quick Reply: where are all the oklahoma guys?