Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Illinois license plate law help anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts

As someone mentioned, not having a front plate is a non-moving violation and therefore won't give you any points or hurt your insurance. I have lived in Ohio for 13 years and ran a plate on one of my cars for less than one year. I have been pulled over twice and gotten warnings, but it's a chance we take to look better.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan C
As someone mentioned, not having a front plate is a non-moving violation and therefore won't give you any points or hurt your insurance. I have lived in Ohio for 13 years and ran a plate on one of my cars for less than one year. I have been pulled over twice and gotten warnings, but it's a chance we take to look better.
In Illinois it is a moving violation.
Old 12-05-2012, 04:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Originally Posted by ThirdgenTa
In Illinois it is a moving violation.
Where do you see that? Front/rear plate display is in Chapter 3, and the subsection that deals with mounting of plates (front and rear) doesn't say anything about a missing front plate being an offense to the movement of traffic.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

Got pulled over the other day for no front plate, just mounted it to the air dam today. I cant wait to see a cop crawl under my car.
Attached Thumbnails Illinois license plate law help anyone?-license.jpg  
Old 12-06-2012, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can get one of the hideaway plates.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Where do you see that? Front/rear plate display is in Chapter 3, and the subsection that deals with mounting of plates (front and rear) doesn't say anything about a missing front plate being an offense to the movement of traffic.
If the vehicle is in motion it can be considered a moving violation and they may take your drivers license.

A few months ago I was riding with my buddy and he got pulled over because his license plate was on a slight angle. I am talking very slight. You could see it from every direction and he had to pay $150 and go to court to get his license back.
Old 12-06-2012, 02:57 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,705 Likes on 1,222 Posts

Originally Posted by ThirdgenTa
If the vehicle is in motion it can be considered a moving violation and they may take your drivers license.

A few months ago I was riding with my buddy and he got pulled over because his license plate was on a slight angle. I am talking very slight. You could see it from every direction and he had to pay $150 and go to court to get his license back.
Perhaps this is a local thing. IL state laws don't specifically account for such. Anyway, this sort of thing is usually just used as PC and not a specific enforcement priority.

3-413 (section for display of plates) doesn't say anything about a missing or poorly mounted plate as being an offense to the movement of traffic. Ironically, it DOES mention that using a plate "cover" can be considered an offense to the movement of traffic, but it specifically and only states "cover" and not anything about missing or non-straight mounting being a moving offense.

Based on such specific wording, I'm sure any decent lawyer would get that reduced to non-moving, or more likely just tossed out.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Been pulled over for it once in 11 years and the cop let me go. If I do get a ticket I'll just pay it but the plate won't go back on.

Quick Reply: Illinois license plate law help anyone?