Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Relocating to Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Relocating to Michigan

Hey guys, I just took a job in the Ann Arbor area and will be relocating from the east coast in the next couple of weeks. I'll be a recent college grad that would like to live in an apartment or house that is within walking distance to downtown Ann Arbor. Does anyone have any specific areas I should look in/ stay away?
Old 04-29-2014, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Ann Arbor is a nice town. Just be careful in Detroit or Flint lol
Old 04-30-2014, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 124 Likes on 62 Posts

I moved to ann arbor about a year ago for a job. I work in Jackson which is 40 min west ( and somewhere no one wants to live lol). Stick to the west side of ann arbor if you want to be really close. I live right off 94 now, and can drive to campus/downtown in 3min or i could walk too. I am moving a couple miles out of town this weekend because I dont spend much time there and see no reason to live that close.

I came here from Columbus, OH (Ohio State grad) so I'm a lil biased but i think AA is very over priced. If you are trying to live downtown you are going to pay out the *** for it. If you dont need to be close to downtown, Ypsilanti is close and it seems to be a lot more reasonably priced, i just cant justify moving to there since I'm already commuting 40miles and that would make the drive even longer.

There is sense of arrogance about the city that kind of rubs me the wrong way. Again I'm biased but I am not the only one who thinks that lol. Its a nice place though, you'll have some fun here.

Last edited by Ryans99ls1; 04-30-2014 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:59 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the info Ryans99ls1. I heard that the west side is a good area to live in. I'll be working in Chelsea but still want to be close to the nightlife. I wouldn't mind living a little outside of town in an apartment or house with a garage so I can start my next project. lol
Old 05-02-2014, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey new to this forum. But I was curious if you guys new of any car clubs in the area? Or even car enthusiast that just meet in the summer. Whether it be Chevy guys or Impalas, Camaros, or whatever. Im just looking for people that enjoy the same things, cruising, parking whatever. Families are cool do, bbqs whatever. Im in Lansing so its about 55 minutes to Ann Arbor so its not too far.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 124 Likes on 62 Posts

Oh nice what are you going to be doing there? I know there is a GM proving grounds there.. but if you live in AA its about a 15 min drive to Chelsea. You'll have much better luck finding a place with a garage in Chelsea though. Ive looked but I can't find much that is reasonable for a single person, although I don't know what your situation is. Im going crazy without a garage though. I keep my car at buddies house near Detroit and hang out there on the weekends. The car scene is great there, not so much around here though
Old 05-03-2014, 06:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
Oh nice what are you going to be doing there? I know there is a GM proving grounds there.. but if you live in AA its about a 15 min drive to Chelsea. You'll have much better luck finding a place with a garage in Chelsea though. Ive looked but I can't find much that is reasonable for a single person, although I don't know what your situation is. Im going crazy without a garage though. I keep my car at buddies house near Detroit and hang out there on the weekends. The car scene is great there, not so much around here though
I just got hired as a test engineer for Chrysler so I'll be working at Chrysler's proving grounds. I have other friends working for Chrysler in Auburn Hills and have considered living with them, I just don't know how the 60 mile commute would be in Michigan traffic and in the winter. I saw there's a drag strip about 20 miles from Ann Arbor so I figured it'd be a good area to live in in terms of location to work, racetrack, and bar scene.
Old 05-03-2014, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by KCJC2011
Hey new to this forum. But I was curious if you guys new of any car clubs in the area? Or even car enthusiast that just meet in the summer. Whether it be Chevy guys or Impalas, Camaros, or whatever. Im just looking for people that enjoy the same things, cruising, parking whatever. Families are cool do, bbqs whatever. Im in Lansing so its about 55 minutes to Ann Arbor so its not too far.
I'm in Howell, and there are a few shows around. Throw me a PM if you want details
Old 05-04-2014, 08:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Ann Arbor is a nice town. Just be careful in Detroit or Flint lol
Watch out for Howell too! In this world you have to be careful where you go. It doesn't matter if your in the suburbs or the inner city trouble can find you. I pray every for The Lord's protection in my travels.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:57 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KCJC2011
Check out Motown Muscle Car club (www.motownmuscle.com). A bunch of local guys. And MIFbody car club (www.mifbody.com). In fact they have their HUGE MIFbody Meet & Greet coming up in a few weeks. Always a HUGE turnout and a great time! (if you're around).
Regristration thread linked:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/midwester...et-2014-a.html

There's always a ton of cruising on the weekends on Woodward. Milan dragway is nearby as you mentioned. Check out those forums and introduce yourself. There are a lot of guys all over the area.

Quick Reply: Relocating to Michigan