Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Rolling Meadows Cruise Nights - Fridays 5-8pm

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 01:35 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by F-bodynut64
Well, again, it's been a while since I've been here. The pewter 01 SS did sell. Good news is it was purchased by my son! Another one in the family. We were up at RM a few weeks ago. Got canceled tonight. I'm heading up to the Camaro Superfest next week in MI. Should be fun!!
Great to hear that the family collection is growing! That pewter SS is an excellent specimen; I bought two of these cars brand new, and used to be active in points-judged shows and prepping my 4th gen for such, so I'm not easily impressed regarding condition - but I certainly found that pewter car to be impressive when I looked it over back in '15. The condition of the undercarriage was impeccable for a car that still sees street driving.

Have a fun time in MI!
Old 06-27-2018, 08:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Great to hear that the family collection is growing! That pewter SS is an excellent specimen; I bought two of these cars brand new, and used to be active in points-judged shows and prepping my 4th gen for such, so I'm not easily impressed regarding condition - but I certainly found that pewter car to be impressive when I looked it over back in '15. The condition of the undercarriage was impeccable for a car that still sees street driving.

Have a fun time in MI!
Thanks!!! Yes, my son knows what a special, perfect vehicle that car is. He is very excited to be part of the 4th gen family! As far as condition, that car has not changed one bit since you had seen it in '15. Ryan, were you at the Speed Inc. Open House this year with your 4th gen? Pretty sure I had seen your car in the back of the building. I'll let you guys know how the Superfest in MI goes this weekend. I'm looking forward to it. Since the weather is going to be perfect, I have decided to bring mine, the white '02 to this event.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by F-bodynut64
Thanks!!! Yes, my son knows what a special, perfect vehicle that car is. He is very excited to be part of the 4th gen family! As far as condition, that car has not changed one bit since you had seen it in '15. Ryan, were you at the Speed Inc. Open House this year with your 4th gen? Pretty sure I had seen your car in the back of the building. I'll let you guys know how the Superfest in MI goes this weekend. I'm looking forward to it. Since the weather is going to be perfect, I have decided to bring mine, the white '02 to this event.
Mike, I didn't attend the Speed Inc open house. In fact, I've only had my '98 out one time so far this year for a local cruise back in early May. The weather has not been very cooperative these last few months.

Congratulations to your son on joining the 4th gen crowd (especially with such a premium example!), and have a great time at the Superfest!

Old 07-08-2018, 04:28 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Great turnout at MP tonight, probably one of the 10 best days of the year in terms of weather so I brought the '98 for its first event of the '18 on-season. I was there from about 7:30 until 11pm and the only other 4th gen that I remember seeing was Corvette Bob's '94 PPM Z28.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Great turnout at MP tonight, probably one of the 10 best days of the year in terms of weather so I brought the '98 for its first event of the '18 on-season. I was there from about 7:30 until 11pm and the only other 4th gen that I remember seeing was Corvette Bob's '94 PPM Z28.
I cruised through at about 7 and there were zero parking spots..lot seems smaller than the other one too. Ended up pulling through and leaving..was a perfect night though for weather.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:05 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by BFK86
I cruised through at about 7 and there were zero parking spots..lot seems smaller than the other one too. Ended up pulling through and leaving..was a perfect night though for weather.
Someone had a printout of the parking spot count for all the Metra lots in that area, not sure if it came from MP or from Metra, but the amount of parking spots between the old lot and the new lot is actually only different by 1 unit according to the data. But the venue is definitely too small for the type of turnout which usually happens when the weather is that perfect.

I was parked down near the exit, but it looks like we missed each other by about 30 minutes. There were a handful of spots open by 7:30.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:17 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Big changes coming to Mt. Prospect for next year. They passed out a flyer this Saturday stating that cars built after the 2000 model year will no longer be welcome at the event, with the only exception being for theme nights (e.g. a newer Corvette would be welcome on "Corvette Night", etc.) This change will take place beginning with the 2019 season.

They claim this is to alleviate the overcrowding/parking situation, but it's a pretty shitty thing to do to some of the guys who've been attending with newer cars since the beginning of this event in 2005 or '06. We can thank the MP Lions Club for this new policy, as they have taken over administration of this event from the MP Downtown Merchants Association. Their attitude towards folks who tried to make an appeal was upsetting, and it's unclear exactly how they will verify model year for cars from the later '90s which generally appear the same as early 2000s examples (such as C5s, 4th gen F-bodies, New Edge SN95 Mustangs, etc.)

After some conflict with the show's organizers on Saturday, it looks like most of my group will be shifting away from this event starting next week. The current plan is to hit a place called Skipper's in Wheeling, on RT 83 just south of Dundee Rd. We used to do a show there on Sundays about 10 years ago, and the owner has apparently been trying to get a Saturday event started there the last couple of years. This location was a huge cruise spot in the '80s, and the same guy (Paul) still owns the place - so he's very car friendly. The only issue here is the lot size; it's very small and won't hold a bunch of cars all at once. The hope is that perhaps we could use the lot immediately north of Skipper's for expansion, but I don't know if this has yet been discussed with the owner of that lot.

It's unfortunate that a better solution for overcrowding couldn't be found, such as moving the event to a bigger lot elsewhere in the town. Some other locations have been suggested in nearby towns (Niles, Des Plaines), but I don't believe that anyone has yet approached the owners of those lots. Wish we could just go back to Photo's even, which is where this event was located prior to the train station, but I just recently discovered they they are out of business.

Just thought I would spread the word for those folks with 2001+ cars; you are no longer welcome at the Mt. Prospect show starting in 2019.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Big changes coming to Mt. Prospect for next year. They passed out a flyer this Saturday stating that cars built after the 2000 model year will no longer be welcome at the event, with the only exception being for theme nights (e.g. a newer Corvette would be welcome on "Corvette Night", etc.) This change will take place beginning with the 2019 season.

They claim this is to alleviate the overcrowding/parking situation, but it's a pretty shitty thing to do to some of the guys who've been attending with newer cars since the beginning of this event in 2005 or '06. We can thank the MP Lions Club for this new policy, as they have taken over administration of this event from the MP Downtown Merchants Association. Their attitude towards folks who tried to make an appeal was upsetting, and it's unclear exactly how they will verify model year for cars from the later '90s which generally appear the same as early 2000s examples (such as C5s, 4th gen F-bodies, New Edge SN95 Mustangs, etc.)

After some conflict with the show's organizers on Saturday, it looks like most of my group will be shifting away from this event starting next week. The current plan is to hit a place called Skipper's in Wheeling, on RT 83 just south of Dundee Rd. We used to do a show there on Sundays about 10 years ago, and the owner has apparently been trying to get a Saturday event started there the last couple of years. This location was a huge cruise spot in the '80s, and the same guy (Paul) still owns the place - so he's very car friendly. The only issue here is the lot size; it's very small and won't hold a bunch of cars all at once. The hope is that perhaps we could use the lot immediately north of Skipper's for expansion, but I don't know if this has yet been discussed with the owner of that lot.

It's unfortunate that a better solution for overcrowding couldn't be found, such as moving the event to a bigger lot elsewhere in the town. Some other locations have been suggested in nearby towns (Niles, Des Plaines), but I don't believe that anyone has yet approached the owners of those lots. Wish we could just go back to Photo's even, which is where this event was located prior to the train station, but I just recently discovered they they are out of business.

Just thought I would spread the word for those folks with 2001+ cars; you are no longer welcome at the Mt. Prospect show starting in 2019.
well that sucks...looks like i have a 99 formula now lol. Not too dissapointed about that anyway, i rarely go to the MP show anyway, gotta get there at 4pm to beat the "retirees" there and get a spot and the lot has always sucked, too tight at the end of the lot and people backing into spots intended for forward facing cars making it impossible for them to pull out when leaving, too many sapping trees..id rather go to Lombard. But the skippers place seems like it would be a decent place to go, they have shows during the week too i believe, seen cars there on a wednesday or thursday or something. Sucks about photos as well, passed by there a few weeks ago anand noticed it was closed for good..thats one of the shows that started it all in the early 90s.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

well that sucks...looks like i have a 99 formula now lol. Not too dissapointed about that anyway, i rarely go to the MP show anyway, gotta get there at 4pm to beat the "retirees" there and get a spot and the lot has always sucked, too tight at the end of the lot and people backing into spots intended for forward facing cars making it impossible for them to pull out when leaving, too many sapping trees..id rather go to Lombard. But the skippers place seems like it would be a decent place to go, they have shows during the week too i believe, seen cars there on a wednesday or thursday or something. Sucks about photos as well, passed by there a few weeks ago and noticed it was closed for good..thats one of the shows that started it all in the early 90s.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Wow. While I have a 2000 I am still not a fan of this. Why exclude any car guy/girl from these events...seems to me it is the opposite of the point of a cruise night. Anyway, like bfk mentioned, I rarely go given the way it is all laid out. Also, I feel like almost half the cars that go are 2000+ so good luck with that one. Lombard is always my first choice on Saturdays but I'd be open to trying something else on one of these last few weekends in the area. Sad to think it is already time for these events to start winding down (even though personally i think they could go well into October).

FYI - Hampshire is doing their annual car show this Sunday ... I believe it's called suds n fun or something along those lines. BFK and I along with a few friends are cruising up in the morning. I believe the show is 7-3 but not 100% sure on that. 800 plus cars on a nice weather day. Nice cruise down 90 and it's only about half hour west of Arlington Heights.

Old 08-10-2018, 02:41 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

well that sucks...looks like i have a 99 formula now lol. Not too dissapointed about that anyway, i rarely go to the MP show anyway, gotta get there at 4pm to beat the "retirees" there and get a spot and the lot has always sucked, too tight at the end of the lot and people backing into spots intended for forward facing cars making it impossible for them to pull out when leaving, too many sapping trees..id rather go to Lombard. But the skippers place seems like it would be a decent place to go, they have shows during the week too i believe, seen cars there on a wednesday or thursday or something. Sucks about photos as well, passed by there a few weeks ago and noticed it was closed for good..thats one of the shows that started it all in the early 90s.
Originally Posted by Taprxxt
Wow. While I have a 2000 I am still not a fan of this. Why exclude any car guy/girl from these events...seems to me it is the opposite of the point of a cruise night. Anyway, like bfk mentioned, I rarely go given the way it is all laid out. Also, I feel like almost half the cars that go are 2000+ so good luck with that one. Lombard is always my first choice on Saturdays but I'd be open to trying something else on one of these last few weekends in the area. Sad to think it is already time for these events to start winding down (even though personally i think they could go well into October).
I definitely agree with you guys about the Metra lot, I've always hated it. The sap is the worst part, but the new lot they moved to this year only has about half as many trees so this particular aspect has actually gotten much better. But, the lot still sucks for the purpose of a car show. I was one of the last hold-outs to leave Photos, we kept going there until about 2008-'09 even though most other folks moved to the train station in '05 or '06. I still don't love the location and rarely bring a car to it, but I go there anyway because I know so many of these guys. Thing is, this new policy will exclude a few of the guys in my regular group, so one way or another it will effect us all.

One of the reasons they list for this new policy is the "reduced lot size". They claim that 40 spots have been lost with the move to the new lot. This seems to be a lie though, as the official parking study of the various Metra lots in Mt. Prospect clearly states that the new lot is almost exactly the same size (difference being either 1 or 3 spots, something marginal). I haven't actually walked through the lot and counted the spots myself, but it's hard to believe that the parking study could be off by so many spots.

I also agree about not supporting this policy, even though it technically wouldn't impact me. There are some guys I know who have been doing this show with early 2000s cars since those cars were new. Now, ~17 years later they suddenly won't be welcome? That's BS, as this show was traditionally never restricted to any specific year range, nor does model year 2000 even represent the current cut-off for "antique" status in terms of state registration.

It's just a sad situation though, since so many of us regulars from this event will be split apart by this. I'm sure many of the guys who aren't affected won't want to go to a smaller spot that's filled with only later model cars which have been booted from MP. The best alternative would be to find a new spot that's big enough to host the entire population of that event and then some - so overcrowding would no longer be an issue and we could just kill off this Metra lot garbage for good.

What was nice about Photo's, and any other spot that's hosted by the business which actually owns the lot, is that there is no specific start/end date for the shows. If April and October are nice, then the shows can start early and continue late. This is also how Skippers was and is, but that lot certainly can't handle the bulk of the Mt. Prospect crowd.

Originally Posted by Taprxxt
FYI - Hampshire is doing their annual car show this Sunday ... I believe it's called suds n fun or something along those lines. BFK and I along with a few friends are cruising up in the morning. I believe the show is 7-3 but not 100% sure on that. 800 plus cars on a nice weather day. Nice cruise down 90 and it's only about half hour west of Arlington Heights.
Sounds like a good time, but I didn't know that Sunday had a morning.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I definitely agree with you guys about the Metra lot, I've always hated it. The sap is the worst part, but the new lot they moved to this year only has about half as many trees so this particular aspect has actually gotten much better. But, the lot still sucks for the purpose of a car show. I was one of the last hold-outs to leave Photos, we kept going there until about 2008-'09 even though most other folks moved to the train station in '05 or '06. I still don't love the location and rarely bring a car to it, but I go there anyway because I know so many of these guys. Thing is, this new policy will exclude a few of the guys in my regular group, so one way or another it will effect us all.

One of the reasons they list for this new policy is the "reduced lot size". They claim that 40 spots have been lost with the move to the new lot. This seems to be a lie though, as the official parking study of the various Metra lots in Mt. Prospect clearly states that the new lot is almost exactly the same size (difference being either 1 or 3 spots, something marginal). I haven't actually walked through the lot and counted the spots myself, but it's hard to believe that the parking study could be off by so many spots.

I also agree about not supporting this policy, even though it technically wouldn't impact me. There are some guys I know who have been doing this show with early 2000s cars since those cars were new. Now, ~17 years later they suddenly won't be welcome? That's BS, as this show was traditionally never restricted to any specific year range, nor does model year 2000 even represent the current cut-off for "antique" status in terms of state registration.

It's just a sad situation though, since so many of us regulars from this event will be split apart by this. I'm sure many of the guys who aren't affected won't want to go to a smaller spot that's filled with only later model cars which have been booted from MP. The best alternative would be to find a new spot that's big enough to host the entire population of that event and then some - so overcrowding would no longer be an issue and we could just kill off this Metra lot garbage for good.

What was nice about Photo's, and any other spot that's hosted by the business which actually owns the lot, is that there is no specific start/end date for the shows. If April and October are nice, then the shows can start early and continue late. This is also how Skippers was and is, but that lot certainly can't handle the bulk of the Mt. Prospect crowd.

Sounds like a good time, but I didn't know that Sunday had a morning.
haha if it werent for the fact that im up already and getting off work at 8am on sunday id probably feel more inclined to sleep in..eitherway we arent getting there till probably 10am though. But on the topic of possible car show spots, i was talking about this with someone recently, and there are so many places that COULD host a car show but i feel like towns or business' just dont want to deal with the hassle of coordinating and designating a lot for show cars once a week. I still think schaumburg should step up and allow a show in their streets of woodfield lot..its huge, and theres plenty of restaurants and places to eat or shop if you choose to. Granted it would probably attract all sorts of cars, import, bikes or whatever else, it would still be a great place to have a car show..its just getting the management to allow it which seems to be half the battle. Same with Rosemont..the entertainment capital of cook county..youd think they could find a lot to host a weekly car show or something.
Old 08-10-2018, 10:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

haha if it werent for the fact that im up already and getting off work at 8am on sunday id probably feel more inclined to sleep in..eitherway we arent getting there till probably 10am though. But on the topic of possible car show spots, i was talking about this with someone recently, and there are so many places that COULD host a car show but i feel like towns or business' just dont want to deal with the hassle of coordinating and designating a lot for show cars once a week. I still think schaumburg should step up and allow a show in their streets of woodfield lot..its huge, and theres plenty of restaurants and places to eat or shop if you choose to. Granted it would probably attract all sorts of cars, import, bikes or whatever else, it would still be a great place to have a car show..its just getting the management to allow it which seems to be half the battle. Same with Rosemont..the entertainment capital of cook county..youd think they could find a lot to host a weekly car show or something.
In my younger days of slightly more scandalous street activities, Streets of Woodfield was in fact a spot for this, but more of a late night meeting spot to setup action than anything. Police presence there got to be pretty thick after a while.

The Rosemont McDonald's has been an on again/off again spot for a very long time. Different managers have different feelings about the event, so it comes and goes. But that lot is only about 40-50 cars big, not enough for a huge show.

Another McDonald's that's been considered is the one at 83 and Golf. We used to go there as a small after-show gathering for the MP group years ago. Someone had approached the owners of that mall lot and asked about doing a full level show there, and I guess they were mostly OK with it - except the McDonald's didn't want that at the time. Probably a manager issue again. But that's a pretty big lot otherwise, would be a good spot if it could ever work out.

Golf Mill has also been mentioned. Someone in our group had heard that Golf Mill Ford was considering an arrangement where they would host a show across the street in an unused portion of the mall lot. Not sure how true this was, or if anything will come of it still, but there are definitely large areas of that mall lot which seem underutilized. That would be a great spot for me, since it's closer to home.

Guess we'll have to see what unfolds. But I'm sure something new will pop up by '19 since there will be a lot of folks looking for a new spot. I was planning to get the Nova out tomorrow and see who shows up at Skipper's, but now I see that some rain is in the forecast. I hope that changes. I haven't driven this car since June, I'd like to get it on the road again before the leaves start falling. LOL.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:00 PM
Launching!

Stopped at MP tonight and saw plenty of the regulars but sadly no 4th gens. Nice night to cruise the car and was toying with a nice LSX swapped Nova. Seemed the clouds scared much of the crowd off.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:56 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

From what I've heard, MP has since reversed their decision on the 2001+ exclusion. But I haven't personally been back there in about a month, it's been nice not to deal with the parking mess, tree sap or poor management of the event by the MP lions club.

I'll probably go back to visit but still not planning to bring a car there unless it's after peak hours.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:32 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Went back to MP tonight for the first time in 5 weeks, brought the '71 with me. Being that the weather was perfect, I didn't expect to get a parking spot and thought I'd just cruise through on my way to Skipper's, but one of the guys got me a good spot away from the trees. Great turnout, as usual. Some nice 4th gens tonight, including a really nice 35th LE SS and a 25th T/A, plus the '94 Firehawk that belongs to one of the guys in my group. Also saw a black LT1 Z28 that I don't think I've seen before.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Went back to MP tonight for the first time in 5 weeks, brought the '71 with me. Being that the weather was perfect, I didn't expect to get a parking spot and thought I'd just cruise through on my way to Skipper's, but one of the guys got me a good spot away from the trees. Great turnout, as usual. Some nice 4th gens tonight, including a really nice 35th LE SS and a 25th T/A, plus the '94 Firehawk that belongs to one of the guys in my group. Also saw a black LT1 Z28 that I don't think I've seen before.
How is that Skippers place? Is it only on saturdays and how long into the season do they do shows? Would like to check it out sometime.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:16 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

I did Skipper's for three weeks in a row back in August. The first week was an unusually large turnout due to so many folks being angry with MP at the time. Week two was only maybe ~20 cars at peak, and week three was only about half of that at any given moment. But the cars come and go, several guys bouncing between MP and Skipper's over the course of the night so you might see more or less cars depending on when you're there. Ralph (3 Camaros, 1 Mustang) and Skip ('55 wagon, etc.) are always there, and Brian with the '71 Roadrunner too. But there are a handful of other interesting cars at Skipper's that you don't really ever see at MP as those guys only hit the one spot.

Currently I think it's just on Saturday, or maybe it's Friday too? About 10 years ago a group of us used to go there on Sundays; that went from like 2007 to 2012 or so, then died out. But Skipper's has been doing various weekend shows since the mid-'80s.

The owner (Paul) is a great guy, he really welcomes the car crowd and there is no limit to when the show season begins or ends - all just depends on the weather. Back when we did the Sunday events, I remember once being there for a show in November because the weather was freakishly nice. I think that was in '09. MP has two more weeks to go, and if October is nice then I think we'll see a big increase in the Skipper's crowd at that point (from what I understand, they had some huge turnouts early in the season before MP opened this year).
Old 09-23-2018, 05:24 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Took the '98 out and did both MP and Skipper's tonight. Decent turnouts at both considering the cool weather. It was pretty much a perfect temperature for me, but the wife was freezing. Why are women always cold if it's less than 80°? Haha.
Old 04-09-2019, 12:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey omaha stylee..saw you cruise past my house the other day in the formula, sounded good! Got the itch to take my car out after seeing yours lol. The weather is finally getting nice, anyone know when the shows start up again?

Quick Reply: Rolling Meadows Cruise Nights - Fridays 5-8pm