Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Minneapolis/St Paul Metro machine shop and tuner

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Minneapolis/St Paul Metro machine shop and tuner

Hi guys. So I'm kinda new at this and My friend and I are putting a cam into a 2011 Camaro Ls3. I know We need to drop the heads off someplace to get the springs changed and have the heads freshened up and the car will need to go get a tune after we are done.

Can any of you guys in the MSP metro area recommend a machine shop and a tuner? We just want a good reputable shop we can trust to do a good job.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2018, 12:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

As far as tune, bring it to Carl at CJ tunes
Old 05-10-2018, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

Any other suggestions on tune? We called him and the price was kinda high so we want to shop around a bit.

Anyone know a machine shop to do heads you'd recommend?
Old 05-22-2018, 03:05 PM
Launching!

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I heard Wheeler Racing out of Blaine does excellent work. I don't have personal experience with them, but when I was looking for machine shops to take my block to get work done, they were recommended by a few different people. Other shops seem to have mixed reviews, but Wheeler seems to be mostly positive last time I looked.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Carl tuned mine as well.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i called carl and he would only do a full tune at full price. i only needed a partial tune so i went with mail order instead. i've never been to wheeler but i've always heard good things about them. i have been to TPIS and doug rippie motorsports. doug retired now his son runs it i think. have you called texas speed to check prices for your head work? goodluck!
Old 06-18-2018, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Thank you for all the replies. The car is all back together. We went with a cam, new timing, lifters, push rods, and springs from WS6store. While in there we put in a new Melling oil pump. I took the heads up to Duluth with me and Midwest engine did them for about half what all the shops wanted in the twin cities. Despite needing almost all the valves replaced and all the other work it was less than $500 for both heads and they turned them around in 4 day’s. The machineist said he almost always needs to replace the intake valves on these heads and there was one bent exhaust valve. Then we installed new plugs, wires, and long tube headers with 3 inch exhaust. The car runs great and sounds mean. Only the tune is left to be done. CJ is booked until August so we will try the other places mentioned.

Last edited by Root2812; 06-18-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Root2812
Thank you for all the replies. The car is all back together. We went with a cam, new timing, lifters, push rods, and springs from WS6store. While in there we put in a new Melling oil pump. I took the heads up to Duluth with me and Midwest engine did them for about half what all the shops wanted in the twin cities. Despite needing almost all the valves replaced and all the other work it was less than $500 for both heads and they turned them around in 4 day’s. The machineist said he almost always needs to replace the intake valves on these heads and there was one bent exhaust valve. Then we installed new plugs, wires, and long tube headers with 3 inch exhaust. The car runs great and sounds mean. Only the tune is left to be done. CJ is booked until August so we will try the other places mentioned.
Send Slow94formula a PM on here. He can get you squared away on the tune. He is located in SE Minnesota.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS_ELKO41
I heard Wheeler Racing out of Blaine does excellent work. I don't have personal experience with them, but when I was looking for machine shops to take my block to get work done, they were recommended by a few different people. Other shops seem to have mixed reviews, but Wheeler seems to be mostly positive last time I looked.
Did the guys you got recommendations from have LS engine work done? I didn't know Wheeler had their hands in LS stuff also.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ZR1 DREAMING
Did the guys you got recommendations from have LS engine work done? I didn't know Wheeler had their hands in LS stuff also.
I should have stated they were recommended for their machining work and not tuning. They have a few high powered LS builds on their FB page. I'm not sure if they were tuned in-house or not.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by ZR1 DREAMING
Originally Posted by LS_ELKO41
I should have stated they were recommended for their machining work and not tuning. They have a few high powered LS builds on their FB page. I'm not sure if they were tuned in-house or not.
wheeler does motor dynoing, no chassis dyno
Old 09-09-2018, 01:16 PM
Launching!

How far out is it recommended to get a tuning appt on the books with Carl for next Summer? I'm planning on driving over carefully on the stock tune from south of Lakeville with a cam swap.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Book it now and you should be good for next summer.