Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

ohio to drop testing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ohio to drop testing?

theres been some stuff on the news the past couple days about ohio dropping emissions testing? does anyone know more about this or how soon it would be taken into effect? if this is true then LT's here i come lol
Old 12-13-2004, 07:42 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I hope for your sake they drop it.......
Old 12-13-2004, 07:45 PM
TECH Regular

seriously, right in time too, i was getting ready to go ahead and get shorties, but now im gonna wait to see what happens and hopefully LT's come out of it
Old 12-16-2004, 09:31 AM
Launching!

Links?
Old 12-16-2004, 09:37 AM
Launching!

http://www.onnnews.com/Global/story.asp?s=2681574
http://www.onnnews.com/Global/story.asp?s=2298156

To me those sound potentially worse and more intrusive. Do you have other info that actually sounds more positive?
Old 12-20-2004, 08:41 AM
12 Second Club

I do not think it is going to go away. There are two reasons why I think this. One, alot of people are employed by the E-check locations. Two, headline news here in Dayton "Counties air among dirtiest in nation, One of the top ten worst". Not good for E-check haters... I am P.O.'d because the whole state is not required to test just 14 counties.

The largest problem is the Feds. If the state is not compliant or making an effort to comply. The Fed. government may with hold funds to aide in highway and road maint. So all in all do not get too excited.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Columbus will be next. In the mornings, I can see the brown cloud over downtown on a clear day...
Old 01-09-2005, 12:37 AM
Staging Lane

Default e-check

the state makes too much money off of e-check. they won't stop the testing
Old 03-14-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

actually as most of you probably know by now, current e-check test proceedures will stop as of 12-31-05 (except cleveland/ackron). the down side to all of this is: air quality will drop again within @ 2 years, increased fuel prices due to re-formulated fuel ( and it will smell like formaldihyde), and california style test procedures/standards.

even though its a pain we will be better off to keep e-check in the long run. the ohio epa has already done casse studies to see the long term effects. on a vehicle that gets 15 mpg, the owner will spend an additional $300 in fuel alone over the 2 years that could have been covered by a $19.50 test fee!

which one sounds better now?

kevin
Old 03-14-2005, 10:02 PM
Launching!

The one that gives me more freedom and less government intrusion sounds better to me. If that person wants to fix their car for better gas mileage and have it tested that's their choice. Don't sujbect me to it.

The effects of car pollution is so overblown it's not funny, especially considering how much cleaner they are today than 30, even 20 years ago. If the air is so bad, maybe this crap isn't and hasn't been working since the '70s. Or maybe it's largely a bunch of hooey. They contribute much less to pollution to than the enviromental wackos want you to think. If car pollution is such a problem, and E-Check is so wonderful and stops this "nasty filth," then why doesn't the most populace city in the country have it (NYC?)?
Old 03-15-2005, 08:48 AM
12 Second Club

Either 100% E-check for all or the latter you expalined above. There is not any reason that only a hand full of coutnies should be checked. All or none, basically is what I am saying. So bring on the reformulated fuel and scrap the E-check buildings...
Old 03-15-2005, 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

I wish they would but I don't see it going anywhere soon. Too many jobs and revenue to loose.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

apparently you guys dont see the long term effects of this. look at how mild our summer was last year - how many ozone action days did we have compared to the year before? every delivery company is going to hike their rates, you are going to spend alot more at every fill-up.

jimm - what is the ratio of cars to people in the most populus city in the country? how many people their drive on a regular basis? you are correct that cars are much cleaner now than they were even 10 years ago, but look at how many more cars are on the road now 10% less pollution/car + 30% more cars = 20% more pollution.

rojo99 - have you ever looked at the ohio epa websitte and seen the pollution maps? there is no reason to have e-check in a rural county that is still using a horse and buggy for the majority of the transportation. it is the counties that are in a valley, have a major highway, a major airport, and has a lot of industrial business. when emission testing comes back in a couple of years it will be a lot stricter and it will be state wide. ohio currently has testing in 14 counties. according to the new test standards there are 37 counties in ohio that are out of compliance.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:25 PM
Launching!

You're still glazing over the fact that the amount of pollution contributed by cars is actually very little. Sure there are more cars on the road, and relatively there's MAY (I doubt there is) be more pollution, but that's only in relation to cars comparing cars. E-check has also shown to do hardly anything in improving things. Not to mention the Mother nature herself is sometimes a bigger polluter.

I live in Cleveland, and frankly it's fine. I don't notice strangling smog in the air. I can breath just fine and it's blue and blue can be. I'm talking spring, summer, and fall time here...winter is also so damn cold and cloudy.

I'm not easily scared by all these environmental hypotheticals and guesses. I wish more people wouldn't be and would learn to stand up.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:45 PM
11 Second Club

I believe the biggest argument is the fact that MOST of the emissions have been proven to be produceb by the industrial sector yet most of those companies have yet to get into compliance.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:04 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by gen 3 bu

rojo99 - have you ever looked at the ohio epa websitte and seen the pollution maps? there is no reason to have e-check in a rural county that is still using a horse and buggy for the majority of the transportation. it is the counties that are in a valley, have a major highway, a major airport, and has a lot of industrial business. when emission testing comes back in a couple of years it will be a lot stricter and it will be state wide. ohio currently has testing in 14 counties. according to the new test standards there are 37 counties in ohio that are out of compliance.
I am for clean air water etc. Just really P.O.'d that 100 yards away from my house is a county that does not have E-check and if you watch I-75 in the morning thousands of cars come from these area's to work in my county and they do not have the burden of E-check. Whats the meaning of this? It must be done statewide if there is a problem.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:00 PM
11 Second Club

I agree, I think it should be state wide or not at all.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gillbot
I agree, I think it should be state wide or not at all.
i too agree.
the amount of pollution measured for an industrial company is based off of how many hours the machinery that produces the pollution can operate in one day. most of these companies are in compliance simply beacuse the machinery does not not operate 24/7.

i have personally taked to someone that is employed by the ohio epa, his office is in front of the e-check staion by hara arena, he spent 9 years concentrating on industrial pollution reduction. in one month of ohio e-check with the old i/m 240 standards he reduced as much pollution in dayton as he did in the 9 years he spent in industrial pollution control. the main reason for this, is all of the ignorant people that drive around for years with the service engine soon (mil) light on with the mindset of "it runs all right, i don't care".
the ses/mil light is to alert the driver of an emission component failure. when an evap purge solenoid fails and turns on the mil the car will run no different at all, but the fuel you just paid $2.xx+ for is evaporating into the environment causin excess hc in the air - just one example. that is the main reason that in the last couple of months e-check started not testing a car with the mil light(s) on.

for example two years ago i went thru e-check with my check engine light on and it passed - that is from the vacuum leak i created and the code was for no idle control. btw - in was running too rich. this year with my chip tuning it passed on the first attempt it is a 500 hp first gen sbc in a 1993 sonoma, its passed for the 4.3 v-6 specs! i also got a lot of crap from the guy there because my truck did not come from gm with a v-8 and he garaunteed me that it would fall, who is the moron now?

i have ran cars thru with gutted cats and proper tuning and passed, it is not all that hard.

even it e-check does go away for good the government will still be involved by forcing us to use re-formulated fuelthat is substantially more $$ in the long run by comparison.

kevin

Quick Reply: ohio to drop testing?