Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Dealerships that install hotcam in chi-town.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealerships that install hotcam in chi-town.

I know, i know, the hotcam, but i think its a good choice for me. I drive the car daily so i need something reliable and under warranty. In the internal section there was the discussion about the hotcam, and i guess dealerships will install it under warranty. Have any of you guys done this, how exactly does this work? I'm thinking about getting the hotcam installed, then buying headers and putting them on after the hotcam is in so the dealership doesn't know. Whats your thoughts?
Old 01-26-2005, 09:20 PM
wrencher

Originally Posted by johnws6
I know, i know, the hotcam, but i think its a good choice for me. I drive the car daily so i need something reliable and under warranty. In the internal section there was the discussion about the hotcam, and i guess dealerships will install it under warranty.
Really thats a new one on me. GM performance parts are warrantied, but your bumper to bumper, I bet not. You bring a cammed car with headers on it & see what happens.
There are far better cams to pick for a daily than the hot cam IMHO!
Old 01-26-2005, 11:44 PM
Staging Lane

Well i figure on the hotcam because im tryin not to void off my warranty as i've had some problems with it already and don't want to put out the money myself to fix it. Im going to college right now (north central in naperville if anyone knows where that is) and i don't have the money to be fixing the car myself right now. I know that there are some better cams like the mti stealth cams, the gt3, g5x2, 3, 4, and whatever else, but im hoping that i can get some more power out of this thing and keep it warrantied.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As wrencher stated... I don't think a hotcam keeps the car under warranty... if the engine goes out and it's because of the hotcam , I doubt they'll cover the engine... only the hotcam through GMPP ...

For the price of the cam, install, etc... and the power you'll get... I would wait on it... specially if you have a dealer install... the install price will be through the roof I bet...
Old 01-27-2005, 12:19 AM
Staging Lane

Well if i decided not to go with the hotcam because of the warranty issues, would the stealth cams from mti, or other stealthly cams be able to get by one of the techs and pass for stock? I know they can sound pretty stock sounding. I'd go with the headers and y-pipe, but probably keep the muffler stock for now. That would be the other route i would go if the hotcam doesn't work out.
Old 01-27-2005, 04:47 PM
Teching In

any modification you do will void your warranty. Even the headers and exhaust. They gave me **** for a cutout even though it was capped.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

What about Speed Inc?

Arent they a sponsor of this site?
Old 01-27-2005, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

I could probably put the parts on myself, thats not too big of a deal. I don't see why headers would void the warranty, when i was at the grand avenue pontiac dealership having my brakes done because the rotors warped there was another t/a there that had full exhaust and was still covered under the factory warranty. I guess it is just the dealership that you go to, some are more strict than others.

Speed Inc. is a great speed shop i bought some parts there for the t/a and their good peopleto work with. I'd have the cam installed there, just would have to see how much it would run me before i take it over there, i'll probably find out when i go to the open house. I don't think the headers would void the warranty however, i'll check with my dealer that i bought the car from, they will probably be more willing to work with me there than just some random pontiac dealership.

With the headers on the car, i think that would offset the exhaust enough so that if the car did have a stealthy cam in it, the techs probably would not notice.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:38 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would check out straight line performance for the cam install and tune. they have better pricing than most sponsors, and are fairly close.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:41 PM
FASTEST ALL MOTOR LS1 IN THE COUNTRY

i would talk to TOM @speed inc....if anyone will take care of you its him.....
Old 01-28-2005, 07:02 AM
Staging Lane

HELLO Camn Hawk.....oh yea...if ya talk to Straight Line Performance...Tellem' Outplayn sent ya!

I am there NUMBER ONE FAN...along with Camn Hawk