Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Whats the cheapest way to pass emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 11:12 AM
dug
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Whats the cheapest way to pass emissions?

Mods in the sig. Is it true people with HP Tuners with the same year can help it pass? I am thinking the only things I have to worry about is the cats and misfire codes set off from the rough idle of the cam.

I plan changing the h/c and dont see much point getting a full dyno tune before I change them.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dug
Mods in the sig. Is it true people with HP Tuners with the same year can help it pass? I am thinking the only things I have to worry about is the cats and misfire codes set off from the rough idle of the cam.

I plan changing the h/c and dont see much point getting a full dyno tune before I change them.

Have u already failed? do u have a code throwing right now? Y do u think that ur not going to pass as it sits now?
Old 03-23-2005, 12:08 PM
Launching!

Another idea is register the car in a town that doesn't have emissions. Get a PO Box in that town and register the car to the PO Box. You will have to go there for the plates and other stuff but it only costs about 50.00/year.

Ken
Old 03-23-2005, 12:49 PM
dug
Banned

I have thought about registering out of town. Didnt think you could get away with a P.O Box though.

Yeah, I know the car wont pass. The SES light has been on ever since the cam and headers. It might pass with sims but I think the cam will trip some codes.

I have to get it tested by the end of the month. I was gonna buy HPTuners software and tune it myself but I dont have enough money for the software and a laptop. I plan on buying the software eventually after I get a laptop.

I wouldnt mind letting the car sit out for a few months until I finish changing the h/c and exhaust and then test it. But I am afraid if I dont take it in now the emissions police will hassle me hard.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Y dont u just go get it scanned and see what exactly the code is that it's throwing. that way if its just a rear O2 then u just have to get sims and bam u pass.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:14 PM
dug
Banned

Originally Posted by WhtLT1
Y dont u just go get it scanned and see what exactly the code is that it's throwing. that way if its just a rear O2 then u just have to get sims and bam u pass.
Good idea. Can you borrow the scan tool from Pep Boys? I just remembered I removed the egr and air pump. Id be surprised that O2 sims would be all I need, but you never know.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not sure if there's even a way u can pass with that. Hmmm but I do remember a member i think his name is Trax here, lives in the chicago land area, saying that there was a wya ot maybe trick the computer about the air pump and EGR. Try to get a hold of him maybe. And I dont know about pep boys but i know for sure autozone has it where u just pull up with the car and they can scan the car right there and let u know wat code ur throwing
Old 03-23-2005, 01:56 PM
dug
Banned

I meant AutoZone. Thanks for your input. I will stop by tonight and see what codes come up.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,244 Posts

Originally Posted by dug

I wouldnt mind letting the car sit out for a few months until I finish changing the h/c and exhaust and then test it. But I am afraid if I dont take it in now the emissions police will hassle me hard.
Easy fix then, send in the card that came with the test notice (or just call if you're on the "final (pink/red) notice" and the exp. date is real close) and explain that the car is not operable at the moment and won't be running for xx months and that you need an extension till that date. Plenty of people have done this in the past (myself included).

Old 03-24-2005, 02:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I passed with MINOR tuning from HPtuners

Quick Reply: Whats the cheapest way to pass emissions?