Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

A Friendly word on LS1Speed Ink.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 07:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a few short things

We really do not have time to call and have someone come down for a dyno video to often. The cars that may have video are from a dyno day or someone who came in for a tune only and waited. The dyno runs a tight schedule and if a car is finished we just keep them rolling on and off. I was really concentrating on getting the car done and did not know an exact time it would be getting tuned as staed earlier.

on the parts situation....well being 3 weeks and you had added a lot to your initial install we where cutting it close on parts,but knew you wanted in a.s.a.p and we where trying to accomadate you. There where a few things we knew would be within the day of starting the install. We found out the day before when you had called there where a few items that didn't ship and you gave us the o.k for some extra time.

We have people that have been waiting 4+ months and have to be rescheduled a few times for motors and such. The people are understanding and work thru things with us. you seem that you where willing to work thru the delay with us and then we see this post and where pretty shocked.

I do not recall us ever giving you 4 dates. We do not promise dates ever. This business is tough to do and as said earlier we do our best to always work with everyones needs. We did not treat you wrong in anyway.

also...so you do not rip us later....We did not make a run on spray. We feel this would have been a very bad idea knowing the condition the trans is in by the clutch material in the pan that you are fully aware of. The last thing you or I needed was a car that the trans blows on the dyno for the major increase in power for 150 shot. These runs can be made FREE of charge once you freshen up the trans.

Jon We understand your frustration. I would want my car to enjoy as quickly as possible too! I know you are anxious but you gave us time as we had asked for and we provided a completed car as asked. This post was just not needed.

We will see you soon
Old 05-07-2005, 07:44 AM
Launching!

I'm new to my car & dont really know a lot about it. I went to Speed Inc & talked with Larry & another guy working there. I bought a lid & bellows based on their recommendation. I was impressed with the way Larry talked with me. Everyone was busy there & he took a moment to talk to me & offered to put the lid & bellows on right then & only charged .5 price for labor. We shook hands & I was on my way feeling pretty good. Because of that initial impression, I scheduled more work to be done there May 27th(installation of a tci3000, shift kit & trans cooler). I took that day off work so I hope there will be no delay.
Ive called periodically since placing my order asking questions & was always satisfied when I hung up. I dont know all the guys names there but I know Larry's. He's always been helpful, curtious & even gives me a break on price.
Speed Inc =
Old 05-07-2005, 07:46 AM
Banned

Default Jacob

thanks....I know I am hard to get ahold of. I get upset myself when I just run out of time to get everyone handled in one day. I can always be emailed and I will respond a.s.a.p I know many people here can say how fast I respond and that usually is the best route to get something handled a.s.a.p

We will get you car squeezed in and back together next week with a STAGE 3

The phone system is just not working for the call volumn we receive these days and that makes it tough to get in touch with us. Jon mentioned we will doing many upgrades to SPEED INC soon to better serv our customers.

again I stress to everyone...be patient with us and email me when you are in need of any help a.s.a.p

have a great weekend

p.s I hope that we can see this post turn around after the T/A is picked up today.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ya i think for now on if i need to reach you, i will get in contact through e-mail since it is alot easier then trying to get a hold of you by phone. Like i wanna be able to refer you guys to everyone, like my buddy Fernando, Mike, Rich, pretty much all the guys im with all recommended me to you guys, but i have to say i am getting much better customer service from you from online then from the other guy we were dealing with on the phone. So i really do appreciate it Larry
Old 05-07-2005, 10:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by dsz28
I'm new to my car & dont really know a lot about it. I went to Speed Inc & talked with Larry & another guy working there. I bought a lid & bellows based on their recommendation. I was impressed with the way Larry talked with me. Everyone was busy there & he took a moment to talk to me & offered to put the lid & bellows on right then & only charged .5 price for labor. We shook hands & I was on my way feeling pretty good. Because of that initial impression, I scheduled more work to be done there May 27th(installation of a tci3000, shift kit & trans cooler). I took that day off work so I hope there will be no delay.
Ive called periodically since placing my order asking questions & was always satisfied when I hung up. I dont know all the guys names there but I know Larry's. He's always been helpful, curtious & even gives me a break on price.
Speed Inc =

thanks.... and I am always glad to help.

We look forward to seeing you on the 27th. shoot me an email so we can confirm times.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

Damn!?! I come home, fire up the 'puker and WHAM!!! Get hit in the face with this ****?

First is see a special offer to price match from Speed, Inc. (thanks BTW ), then right below it, all this drama.

I pulled up the drama first (lol) of course and it concerns me.

From what I read, the conflicts could have been resolved with better communication from BOTH sides.

First and foremost, I can certainly understand unexpected delays. Try dealing with local, state and federal agencies and getting anything done on time. And they are the absolute worse at communicating delays, bar none!

That said, maybe your shop could have made a better attempt to stay in touch with them over parts delays and competion dates. Especially if I'm having to rent a car while you have mine. Add 3-4 weeks of even cheap rental and you've added an additional $5-600.00 or more to the total bill. Whats up with the extra charges? If you are going to tack on additional charges, you need to inform the customer first. If I have an agreed upon price and show up and you have tacked on an additional several hundred $$, especially after the delays and foul ups, I'm gonna be pretty pissed. I wouldn't worry too much about the negative publicity. The bigger problem will likely be the cost in defending yourself in civil court.

Again, if a person in spending $4 to 8k with you, they at least deserve regular communication. It's your responsibility as a business to ensure you have proper contact numbers for your client in case of the unexpected.
Even if you get a recorder during the day, you could take those that didn't return the call during the day, home and make some calls in the evening while having a brew and watching TV. I know, I can hear it now. We all have a personal life and scheduled work hours, etc, but if it were my business, I'd take that responsibility on myself. I do own a business and I do just that. Sometimes I can't get in touch with a client when I need to, but I keep trying until I reach them and I keep notes. If I get a recorder or V-mail, I leave a message....repeately. CYA is all I can say.

For $8k, I'd have someone wait or delay my plans. Otherwise, If I absolutely couldn't wait (family or something) then I'd probably make arrangements with the customer for the following day at HIS convenience.

AS for the dyno, obviously it meant a lot to him and he conveyed his wishes on several occasions. Again, someone should have called him and told him (or better yet, told him no from jump) that there simply wasn't time for this.

How difficult is it to let him know...it's ready to be dyno'd and we're doing in in 2 hours? Schedule it and let it be his problem to get there on time?

Now for the customers...

Patience! Things happen. Shipping and manufacturing delays. Work issues and the like. Get ALL your scheduled guarantees in writing and set up bene's (if seen fit) for failure to complete on time. Builders are up against these kind of schedules and penalties all the time.

Don't bug them daily. Set up a call back schedule and stick to it.

Make sure you have over cost billing set up in writing. In Florida, any amount over $100.00 either has to be in writing and approved or a waiver has to be signed.

Finally, I can understand the frustration and from the sound of it, it "may" be well deserved. As they said though, there are 2 sides to every story.

I'd try to keep the drama to a minimum and off the boards as much as possible.

If anything you've said is not true and/or verifiable, you could subject yourself to civil prosecution by the vendor.

I really hope everything works out for all parties involved.

Best of luck.
Old 05-07-2005, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Speed Inc Webmaster
Was the 3 week wait our doing? Wouldn't it be easier for everyone if you didnt have to wait the 3 weeks. A delay from the manufacturer is a little out of our control. I will say that every special order / order waiting part that comes in is called with the number we have on file. I'd say we hit alot of answering machines when we call, we also try to make sure we have a daytime phone number on hand which helps out in that instance.
well next time i won't wait at all and just buy my stuff somewhere else and u guys did have my # so no excuse y u couldn't reach me!!! PEACE!!!!!!
Old 05-07-2005, 03:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CHIWS6
well next time i won't wait at all and just buy my stuff somewhere else and u guys did have my # so no excuse y u couldn't reach me!!! PEACE!!!!!!

The few things that could have happened. The parts was a special order or it could have just been out of stock. We do call numbers provided but a lot of times we can not get in touch with anyone ...even when it is a day time number and it is very frustrating. We do not have time to keep calling.

The part came in and the only reason you would not have been called is if the purchase orde number was not on the part and we had no clue as to who it was ordered for. This has occured before and all we can do is try to find out who it is for or hope the customer calls for the item soon.

sorry you feel the way and are not willing to be understanding

We will always make good if something goes wrong either our fault or a supplier as we have done for many customers in the past.

We hope you change your mind and remember we are always here if you need anything.

Larry
Old 05-07-2005, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

I cant believe people post **** like this aobut you guys (speedinc). It is IMPOSSIBLE to satisfy everyone, especially at this time of year. Dont you have any common sense? I am one of the small spenders that you guys have, and I have been treated VERY well every time I call, PM, or email. You have also worked with me when I needed parts quickly, (this past week actually) I recommend you guys to all the LS1 guys I know.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh the drama...

All I'm really going to say is that I agree that it is almost impossible to please everyone 24/7 with a business like this...Think about it...We're talking about people's cars (their pride 'n joy), hard-earned money spent on parts (sometimes a LOT), and a business that is very seasonal (obviously, very busy during the nice weather which doesn't bode well for those who don't have a lot of time)...My point is, there will always be a large amount of emotion in involved when dealing with aspects like this...Some customers will just see things differently than others no matter what is tried or done...This is not at all taking a shot at any of Speed Inc's customers, but nor is it placing any blame on Speed Inc either...What it is called is reality (the nature of this kind of business).

I'm not going to lie, I've had a bad experience a few years ago with Speed Inc that I was not very happy about (and rightlyfully let Tom know about it). Luckily, he stepped up to the plate and took care of the situation for me. I definitely agree that Speed Inc has their faults, but I also believe what defines a business is how they "handle" their problems with their customers...And it seems like Larry & Tom would do anything to make things right by their customers (regardless of whether they spend $20 or $20,000). I mean, without their customer support, they'd be out of business!

OK, I've said enough...But I really like Larry and he seems to be willing to help me even with the simplest of things with my LT1 (yes, I rely fairly hard on him to help me out with it since it is my DD). And yes, he always responds very quickly to my e-mails, so I agree that is a great way to get a hold of him. BTW, hi Larry!

Good luck to everyone and I believe Larry will make things right for you guys if you deal with him ONE on ONE and give him the chance,

Mike Arcurie
Old 05-07-2005, 05:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaro_SLP
Why is it so taboo here to post anything negative about Speed Inc? If people are able to post positive experiences with your company and not get harrassed, than the ones that have negative experiences should be able to also. Obviously I'm not involved in the situation,,but I think that is total BS that you couldn't wait 10 minutes for the guy...especially if he has thousands to give you.

I too have had a bad experience with 'Mike'. If I go in there to buy a couple parts and not ask questions about them/install, then don't give me your opinion *repeatedly!*. Don't give me **** because I'm buying something for my needs that you've never used before,,I don't care how many installs you did. *just venting a little on that situation, that's all.* -done

P.S. I was also promised parts on a certain day and it took over a week after that for them to come in.

And as with any big business, you have to accept the fact that you will get complaints. It's part of the field..

It's taboo to air dirty laundry in public about any sponsor on this site without first contacting said sponsor 1 on 1 with your concerns and/or complaints, no matter what the situation. If you're upset, handle your concerns with Larry DIRECTLY. What the hell is this world coming to when I have to read about adults calling their parents to bitch sponsors out on this site? Talk about ... If I ever have a problem with Speed you can damn well better know that I'm going to try as hard as I can to work it out with Larry MYSELF. I can assure you that "daddy" is never gonna get a call to help me handle my business like a man.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:23 PM
10 Second Club

I've been on these boards a long time and have owned several LT1/LS1's. I don't normally get into these types of threads, but having worked with Speed Inc many times over the past few years, I feel my experience(s) may help others...

[soapbox]

As said above, you can't please all of the people all of the time; it sucks, but it's just not gonna happen...

I don't doubt that the folks above had issues; if you're around this stuff long enough, it's gonna happen. Parts will be out of stock; the dyno will be down; delays will occur...

That said, I can tell you this about Larry and Speed Inc... Whether I was purchasing my first air lid or having them install a new Stage 3 tranny, the guys at Speed have always gone out of their way to take care of me.

At one time or another, I've purchased parts from nearly all of the "big name" speed shops out there, and NOBODY comes close to Larry and Tom's customer service.

And as far as communication, I can honestly say that I've not dealt with anyone in this industry that's done a better job of responding to emails than Larry. I emailed countless questions to Larry while I was having some work done recently, and he always took the time to reply and let me know what was up.

[/soapbox]

Whew... feel better now Except for this damn sunburn from the MFBA track rental today...

Hope you guys can get things worked out.

Paul...
Old 05-07-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

one bit of advice i would give everyone is have you car done in the winter time when any speed shop is slower than usual.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is for baddogg, first of all my father wanted to find out what was going on, since he is the one that loaned me the money to get the trans fixed in the first place, and he is also going to be the one to take me to go pick my car up when its done. I could relay all the info i was told from them directly to him, but hes the type of person where he wants to know whats going on and hear everything for himself. So i did noy MAKE my father call if thats what your getting at. Like i said Larry has been helpful through all the e-mails and through AIM when we talked, and like i stated before its frustrating as hell when your trying to talk with someone else when the guy you want to talk to is busy. So baddogg you can type whatever you want, frankly i really dont care since you dont know the facts, and I look forward to hearing from you Larry this coming up week.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:33 PM
NKAWTG...N

if you ever decide to do business with speed again JacobK, order a new set of back lights these are just hidious:

oh ya back on topic, i have done business with speed before, had my car dynoed at speed before. was there a problem? yes, the car on the dyno right before mine spilled its guts out. So what did I do? I understood that it would be physically impossible for them to dyno my car that day. Couple days later I came back, Larry was nice enough to notch the price down as well for which I was gracious, and Jim dynoed that sucker and I got some amazing number. LEARN TO PLAY BALL!!!! It's a two way street.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

haha ya i know stoleit, i actually just got a pair of stock LS1 taillights sitting in my garage for when i get my car back. Trust me i know those things are bad im gonna have to PAY someone to take those from me..
Old 05-08-2005, 12:58 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't read past the initial complaints and speed's first response, but here's my input:

My car has been to LS1 Speed three times and is going in a fourth time next week. Everything has been done exceptionally well and on time. The first time I called after installing my longtubes and having my would be Y-pipe fabricator back out. I wanted to have their duals installed. THey fit me in ealier since I was running open headers at the time and the car was finished a day before when they said it would be. Not only that, but I got a coupe dyno pulls at no charge, they notched my K-member to clear my headers and replaced my bum O2 sim. (which I had ordered from them). What was I charged? The $550 for the duals.
There isnt much to say about my trip for converter, shift kit, cooler, subframe connectors, temp gauge and basic tune. That's a good thing. Went nice and smoooth.
The last time I was there was a friday in january just before I had to take the car back to school. I called them kinda last minute for a dyno tune, as I was finishing with my cam install. I had to go back to school on sunday so I got in on friday. They ran a little over on tuning it, (they took longer than expected to get the guy before me out and start on mine) I was given use of somebody's blazer (I think it was tom's.....) so I could go get some food while they were on their lunch break.

All in all I am happy enough after my first three trips there that I am spending another $3,500 (that I don't really have, lol) next week.

Edit: Oh yeah, I probably emailed back/forth with Larry about 10 times plus two phone conversations for this months work....and at least that many emails before the converter went in last year...and several emails randomly over time asking for quotes. I have recieved a timely, helpfull reply each time. It may not have been very long and would feel "cold" to many people but I just see it as larry doing as much as possible with as little time as possible and the man knows what he is doing.

Last edited by blkZ28spt; 05-08-2005 at 01:21 AM.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:01 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

K i know i have to watch what i say here since i am a bit jaded, my car being part of the family over there, but there are a few objective things to be said regardless after reading this mess.

it never ceases to amaze me when people bitch about parts not being on time when its a SUPPLIER running behind, not the shop you ordered it from...to anyone in this thread crying about that, shut up already, you look stupid. no, seriously. you do. that's like pulling into a gas station that is out of gas cuz its supply truck is late and screaming at the dude behind the counter, fuckign retarded behavior at best.

Iluv--i can understand yoru frustration bud, its hard when you cant' do something yourself and need to have it done and things don't go as planned, for whatever reason. but it also sounds like you are the type of customer that makes people pull their hair out as well. either way, good to see you got the car back and the work was quality, as it always is from speed.

honestly, i think if alot of people could spend just one day observing the sheer madness that is a business day for speed inc, especially this time of year, folks would be alot more understanding. these guys have learned to talk on the phone, answer emails with their toes, and help customers using sign language all at once or they don't come close to getting everyting done that needs to be.

its a very tough business to be in, and the guys at speed are the best around, you don't have an operation as large and successful as this shop is if you didn't care about your customer and know how to do things right, yes or no??
Old 05-08-2005, 03:16 AM
Staging Lane

OK, i picked up the car today and had a long talk with larry. i can clearly see why he is preffered by the majority of you. he has a very profresional attitude and seems to know his business well. he took alot of time out to explain to me how to run everything on the car. along with a nice test ride i'm very happy with the work done to my car.

i dunno what to say. now that i have my car back i'm calm and a bit reluctent of my threading of this issue online. In the end i was frustrated about communication. not only between Speed and I but thier communication between workers and distributors. Speed if you're in the search for excellence I still believe this is a place that improvement could be made.

Now the finally, my car is home. The parts are installed and work how they're supposed to. I may have had a couple things go wrong on my project but it seems the majority has had there cars go through smoothly. so i guess one foul outta every 100 or so smooths is not too bad...

Jon
Old 05-08-2005, 09:06 AM
Banned

I am glad that everyone has calmed down and we are all a big happy family again

I appreciate all of our customers big and small standing behind with the support.

Jon it was nice speaking with you today and we are glad to hear you are happy with the car.....see you soon for the remainder of the upgrades

as a reminder

my email address if anyone ever needs any questions answered,parts quotes,problems resolved etc....

larry@speedinc.com

thanks guys

Larry

Quick Reply: A Friendly word on LS1Speed Ink.