Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

got busted speeding :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 05:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default got busted speeding :(

well, i was in the magnum and was trying to get to the oasis cause i was out of gas. stuck in the middle lane getting boxed in, so i decided to jump in the fast lane and go around everyone cause the oasis was within site. well, to my luck, there was a state tropper just coming up as i pulled into the fast lane. he busted me for 87 in a 55 and following too closely

its been a good 2-3 years since my last ticket too. any suggestions on if i should bring a lawyer with? sucks that he got me on 2 violations.

soon as i pulled away after he wrote me up, he pulled a truck over seconds later. he was out to get people that day
Old 10-31-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt a lawyer would do any good, you were speeding
Old 10-31-2005, 06:36 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah, they're probably not gonna be lenient for an 87 in a 55
Old 10-31-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

Go to court plead yer case, maybe the judge will go easy on ya.....But I wouldnt hold to much to it...Also maybe if you talk to the office as well....Maybe he will work with you on the ticket...Never know....All ya can do is try....
Old 10-31-2005, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

being 2-3 years sence last ticket, you could try for court supervison, go to the 3 hour class and dont get a ticket for like 3 months and the ticket gets dropped from you record
Old 11-01-2005, 01:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Yeah, they're probably not gonna be lenient for an 87 in a 55

This was in IL our legal system is based on money... 87 in a 55 is nothing.... prolly a fine , supevision... maybe a 4 or 8 hour class..... won't go on his record

I had a 79 in a 40 a few years back.... improper lane usage, and no front plate... got a lawyer but prolly didn't even need it.... got off w/90 day supervision.. and 55 in fines .... I love IL (or at least cook county) heh
Old 11-01-2005, 02:36 AM
TECH Junkie

i know i was speeding...but usually a lawyer can help out in extreme cases pretty good. i mean it wasnt even like i was speeding just to speed. i just got caught doing something dumb. wrong place wrong time. not trying to justify my actions, but im pissed that the cop didnt even let me justify my actions like they usually do. he just told me i was speeding, then left for half an hour and wrote tickets up. usually if i get pulled over for something dumb ive given an explanation and been giving a warning.

i got busted for like 95 or 97 in a 55 about 5 years ago and got a lawyer. paid my fines and got a slap on the wrist. for other minor speeding tickets id just go plead guilty and get my supervision/school. those were just 1 moving violations though. my last 2 tickets were in lake county, and wisconsin (both lame with the TA). i havent had a cook county ticket in probably 4 or 5 years. like horist said, they are out for the money.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:57 AM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Get a lawyer. Back in 93 when my dad was out dwi in his brand new z28, spun and hit a pole, then drove away. The cops came to his door with the license plate that fell off, he got arrested, Some of the charges include. DUI, Speeding, Failure to slow for unsafe driving conditions, leaving the scean... There were others. The lawyer got him off on all counts, and got supervision, and couldnt get a ticket for a while. I forgot how they got him off the dui, but htey did..
Old 11-01-2005, 09:01 AM
10 Second Club

sorry bout cha, I got pulled over the other day on I-465 doing 85 in a 55 and I blew by a paddy wagon. I did'nt think he would mess with me, cause he had a prisoner on board. He let me get aways up there and he seen me merge over to get off and pulled up and hit his lights. He said why are you in a hurry?
I told him I was late for a lunch date and he asked if I have ever gotten a ticket in this car?
I told him I've had it for three years and never a ticket, He ran my info and came back to tell me to slow it down to with in 10 mph of the limit. I told him thank you!
He was a total gentalmen and even shook my hand. What a great cop!

He loved the car as well. He was asking what kinda mods I had done to it!HAHA
Old 11-01-2005, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
Get a lawyer. Back in 93 when my dad was out dwi in his brand new z28, spun and hit a pole, then drove away. The cops came to his door with the license plate that fell off, he got arrested, Some of the charges include. DUI, Speeding, Failure to slow for unsafe driving conditions, leaving the scean... There were others. The lawyer got him off on all counts, and got supervision, and couldnt get a ticket for a while. I forgot how they got him off the dui, but htey did..
probably pretty easily, they didint get ihm while drunk no bac tests, working on an assumption, the only thing they could have gotten him for is failure to slow for unsafe condition(even though ive never heard of that law *shrugs*), and leaving the scene, all that and there was no proof whatsoever he was driving that car at the time. (or that it was even his car that did it)

unless of corse there was an eyewitness cop there with a radar, the speeding ticket was unjust as well. a decent lawyer coudl get anyone off on that.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:46 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,158 Likes on 753 Posts

How far away was the oasis?
Old 11-01-2005, 03:33 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

The basic speed limit law states that the posted speedlimit is the max for save, clear driving conditions, when its raining, snowing, what ever, they can pull you over and ticket you for driving 45 in a 45.. Sorry for being in drivers ed and having a no-it all 'tude lol.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
The basic speed limit law states that the posted speedlimit is the max for save, clear driving conditions, when its raining, snowing, what ever, they can pull you over and ticket you for driving 45 in a 45.. Sorry for being in drivers ed and having a no-it all 'tude lol.
strange i dont remeber reading about that in drivers ed, i wonder if tis a semi recent appendum

thats really the stupidest crap ive ever seen, ive flown by cops going 60 in a 45 and they didnt do crap
..tho i got pulled over for doing 62 in the rain adn the guy was like, you know normally this isnt to bad but weve had alot fo accidents today so thats why im writing blah blah blah.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:32 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Just another way to get your money. Chances are the cops would never mess with you unless they need to make a quota for the end of the month or something ( do they have quotas? )
Old 11-01-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
How far away was the oasis?
ill just say i was close enough that i couldnt make it over 4 lanes to the oasis after i left the cop. i had to take the next exit to get gas in a town. probably 1000'+/- to the entrance. soon as i got back over, i knew i was busted cause the cop was riding up on me hard it appeared that he liked my car though. he said "i know you have a superfast car, but not everyone can drive (fast?? forgot) as well as you can" wtf kinda thing is that to say after giving me 2 tickets. and he was checking it out every time he walked up to it. punk cop.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Are there separate fines for both charges, or is it combined?

Go to court, dress professionally, speak politely, and ask for the "following too closely" to be dropped, and ask for supervision on the speeding. If they ask why the FTC should be dropped, say, "With all due respect your honor, but either I was following too closely and doing the speed limit with the rest of the cars, or I was speeding and going by the other vehicles... It would be like giving me a parking ticket and ticket for failing to stop at a stop sign simultaneously. It's either one or the other, but in all fairness I don't see how it can be for both."

Oh, and get a hair cut before you appear, you hippie!
Old 11-01-2005, 05:53 PM
10 Second Club

get a lawyer and request a jury trial, the charges will be dropped becuase they dont want to spend the money on a jury trial
Old 11-03-2005, 06:49 PM
TECH Junkie

so whats the consensus? its the southside courthouse too. is it possible to get switched to the northside?
Old 11-03-2005, 08:07 PM
Import Patrol

Go to court no matter what. I got luck getting out of my 20+ over speeder, because the cop never showed.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:47 PM
9 Second Club

Default got busted speeding... and then some

I've been to court... oh lets say a few times in various counties in the fine state of Illinois and the major thing to remeber is this is a revenue generator and they want your money.

Dress nice, lawyer optional for these offenses, since you have a clean record show up early and find the Asistant States Atourney and talk to him about what happened. In all of my cases I have been able to get court supervision for 3-4 months and once I had to take the class. I would bet that they would throw out the following too closely and possibly attest your speed. Then all you have to do is pay them their money and be a good boy for a few months and don't do what I did....

101 in a 55 (Trafic Missdemenor)
"Drag Racing" (Trafic Missdemenor)
"Aggravated Fleeing / Eluding" (Trafic Fellony)

Apparently pulling over at the first safe side street after slowing down from 110 is attempted Fleeing / Eluding. They made it aggravated since it was at a speed greater than 20 over the speed limit. Short story I was in jail for 13 hours and the T/A is still being held by the County Sherrif's department in impound for the last month since they want to seize it because under the drug forfieture laws, being charged with "Aggravated Fleeing / Eluding" allows them to do so.

Needless to say I have a good lawyer, have to go to court for my car on the 10th and the 23rd for my traffic tickets, and can't leave the wonderful state of Illinois without a court order.

It aint a crime if ya don't get cought.... damnit I screwed that one up.....