Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Who's Still Driving their FBody?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
I long hauled the the power tour this year also drove to vegas, Pheonix, SO Cali and many other places in my old camaro. All the road trips were a blast but the first people whining were my friends that don't drive their cars whishing they could drive them long distance like there was some penealty of death law that hung over their head if the car ever got dirty. I just can't grasp the mentality of tourturing yourself like that.

For me.. If I drove something other than my Camaro in the snow, rain, or any weather really, driving would be a chore. I love driving the car. the feel, the sound, even the rattling and wind noise. Driving to me would be worth it if I didn't have the camaro. I've always been that way since I picked up my first camaro in winter 1995. I don't worry about it getting worn or anything because I can replace or fix anything that wears out and make it better in the process. If it was an old car that I could not get parts for and such I'd store it away and not drive it but with such a modern car I just can't grasp the whole mentality. Its just a different way of looking at car ownership.
and then your frame rusts out.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:19 PM
Teching In

This is the 4th winter for my car
Old 12-16-2005, 09:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,232 Posts

If it was an old car that I could not get parts for and such I'd store it away and not drive it but with such a modern car I just can't grasp the whole mentality.
It's a modern car now, but wait another decade or more and it won't be so easy to get (cosmetic) parts any more.

A very good friend of mine is in the process of restoring an '89 Formula 350. Now, '89 doesn't really seem that long ago. But it's 16 years old, and beleive it or not there are quite a few cosmetic parts (both interior and exterior) that just aren't avaliable at this time. He is remined of that every time he hits the dealer for an item and hears the word "disco'ed". That generation of F-cars is in limbo right now, they are getting too old for the dealers to continue stocking parts, Vintage parts doesn't stock everything either, and only a few parts are avaliable as reproductions. Now, more reproductions may come on line, but only if there is a strong market to restore those cars going into the future. If not, then parts cars will be the only hope, and good luck finding those in decent enough condition to complement a good restoration.

And beleive it or not, I do totally understand your desire to drive an F-body on a regular basis. Eventually, I'd like to buy another more average condition/mileage one to use almost daily. But I still want to also have my 'mint' one tucked away from the elements to bring out on those perfect weather cruising days/nights and local car shows, etc.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do understand the parts supply issues on the middle aged cars. I had a friend who was restoring his 79 Ta several years back. Man did he have a hell of a time finding some of the parts. I'm not going to restore my car just keep it looking and running good probably for 10 or so years because eventually there will be another Camaro or (with the way GM is looking these days) Mustang out there that I'll buy. I'd love to have a mint condition car in the garage to take to shows but I'd rather have a 69 camaro done up in Trans am race style but with a nice modern engine under the hood.

lol.. all you park it and store it guys should root me on because 20-30 years from now your mint condition cars will be worth just a tiny bit more because I drove mine daily until it was sitting in an f-body salvage yard.

Last edited by sixvi6-camaro; 12-16-2005 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

lol.. all you park it and store it guys should root me on because 20-30 years from now your mint condition cars will be worth just a tiny bit more because I drove mine daily until it was sitting in an f-body salvage yard.
LOL....very true.
Old 12-17-2005, 01:16 AM
TECH Resident

Yea, I put mine in storage before the first snow hit here and it stays there until after all the snow is gone next spring, usually around late March - early April. I feel bad for the guys that have to drive them all year round. I have the luxury of getting a new truck ever winter to drive and I don't even have to pay for it but some people don't get that luxury.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:02 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Talking

Originally Posted by MountainMotor
I have the luxury of getting a new truck ever winter to drive and I don't even have to pay for it but some people don't get that luxury.

Nice! So what happens to the old trucks every winter? You could always kick a couple my way if ya want.
Old 12-17-2005, 07:26 AM
Launching!

I could afford a winter car too but I don't want one. I enjoy driving my car no matter what the weather is like. Its annoying as hell to me when people brag about their car and let it rot in the garage. Unless its a race car, putting a couple thousand miles on a car a year it NOT driving it thats wasting it. Just like buying your dream house then choosing not to live in it, or buying your favorite food and not eating it, or paying for a lap dance and not watching it. but thats just how I feel and I know I'm in minority especially on this board. People act like its a sin to Drive their cars here most of the time.
No right or wrong, just personal preference.
Are you the guy who hosts v8havoc?
Old 12-17-2005, 11:20 AM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

mine comes out of the garage maybe once a week if i'm lucky. It just gives me more of an excuse to mod, since I know it won't be coming out for a few days if the weather sucks.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:52 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,158 Likes on 753 Posts

Man they have been salting like crazy. Must be that snow storm we were supposed to get on Thursday.

I have memories of driving my 68 Chevelle SS with 325-50-15 tires and ladder bars back in 1992. I remember sitting at an intersection unable to get the car to go forward or back. I could go sideways. I remember buying a 92 GT T5 used that following fall. I put 2 60 lb bags of sand in the car, one in back, and one in the passenger side footwell. I got stock once in the following five years.

If I get another F-Body it will see winter and it will get snow tires.
Old 12-18-2005, 11:18 AM
11 Second Club

I have'nt driven mine in weeks.....it's been started a couple of times but only in the driveway. Im going to get on the jackstands and under cover sometime this week...hopefully. Its nice paying for storage insurance instead of full coverage...saves some cash for future upgrades. But like alot of other F-body owners...I have the urge to get it out and play!!!
Old 12-18-2005, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

mine is also in storage til spring. i hate minnesota winters.
just installed ls7 clutch,10 miles on it. can't wait til spring.
Old 12-19-2005, 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

Speaking of driving your F-Body in the winter. I got rear-ended by a dumbass pizza delivery guy today. I drive my T/A only when it's dry out like it was today. As I am pulling into my friend's driveway the moron hits me in the right rear quarter panel. My car did a 180. Going to take it in to work tommorow and raise it up in the air to get a good idea of the damage.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:01 AM
TECH Resident

RPM WS6, what happens is my grandparents go to florida all winter and my grandfather gets a lot of new trucks so every winter about Nov. I get his truck (whatever it is that year) and I get it until around April. So I get to put my car up before the first snow and get to leave it there until it gets nice and most of the time I drive a new truck until then. Right now I'm driving a new Lariat Powerstroke (I know it's a Ford but it's free ).
Old 12-20-2005, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

All of my V8 rwd cars have been worthless in the winter. I picked my "new" SS on Saturday, luckily I sold my '85 Mustang GT & got a '92 2.3 LX Mustang coupe ...It hauls ***** in the snow.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MountainMotor
RPM WS6, what happens is my grandparents go to florida all winter and my grandfather gets a lot of new trucks so every winter about Nov. I get his truck (whatever it is that year) and I get it until around April. So I get to put my car up before the first snow and get to leave it there until it gets nice and most of the time I drive a new truck until then. Right now I'm driving a new Lariat Powerstroke (I know it's a Ford but it's free ).
you bastard lol j/k man hell of a thing you got going there, even though the strokes' are fords they are still b/a baracus. i have to drive my SS in the winter try to keep it clean though. i was going to buy a 85 cadillac sedan deville for 400 bucks but the crackhead that i was gonna buy it from sold it after i told him i would take it and be back the next day with the money
Old 12-22-2005, 09:20 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I pulled mine out of the garage today after five weeks of resting and let it warm up. I also didn't want the neighbors to forget that I still had it
Old 12-22-2005, 09:27 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
I pulled mine out of the garage today after five weeks of resting and let it warm up.
I'm hoping it stays warm enough for me to do that sometime this weekend. Last time I had the car running was the last weekend of October. I'll probably throw a charger on the battery for a few hours first...
Old 12-22-2005, 11:43 PM
Launching!

I still drive mine when it isn't snowing like a ... well you get the point.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:27 AM
11 Second Club

finally washed it today, its only gonna stay clean untill tomarrow morning when i go to work, in this weather, i dont even know why i bother washing it