Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

another ticket question

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another ticket question

i got a ticket for going 64 on 45. he gave me a ticket that i can pay online, 80 dollars and receive a supervision.

now my question is this... on the actual ticket that he gave me it says 06 silver impala. that is clearly not a car that i was driving. do you guys think i can do anything to get out of this ticket?
Old 07-31-2006, 12:47 PM
11 Second Club

I'd say its worth a shot. If it was just the year or color of something of that nature, I wouldn't try, but being the incorrect car altogether you might have a case. Go talk with the public defender about that.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just call up the court place and ask to speak w public defender?

but yes, he got year and make completely wrong
Old 07-31-2006, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

does it change the fact that you were doing 64 in a 45?
Old 07-31-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my car doesnt go faster than 45 lol. would that work?
Old 07-31-2006, 01:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by rubber duck
does it change the fact that you were doing 64 in a 45?
no it doesn't change that fact, but the document is incorrect and last I ever heard was that an incorrect document is a false document, and a false document will not hold up in court. and like i said, its worth a shot, not saying your 100% in the clear

and for the public defender, i usually just go to the court house, they have an office there, at least thats how its set up in Aurora
Old 07-31-2006, 01:16 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,217 Likes on 777 Posts

I would contest, especially since that ghey ticket is for 9 over!!! I'd be mad.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

PSJ, your math sucks, 64 - 45 = 19
Old 07-31-2006, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

a typo on a ticket does not negate the ticket. As long as he has your name and license number correct, and was there to witness you speeding and is in court to testify to it, you're pretty much sol. If you were speeding, own up to it. If you don't want to get speeding tickets, don't speed. It's actually pretty simple.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:36 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,277 Posts

If you don't want to get speeding tickets, don't speed. It's actually pretty simple.
Is it really that simple? Often times even the state police don't bother to obey the speed limit. I'll be doing 70mph in a 55 zone, and they pass me by going 75+. Not that I'm complaining at all, actually I think it's great that most state cops also seem to realize how retarded the 55mph limit is on northern IL expressways, but the point is we all speed and speeding tickets are just a game that the state and local governments play to make money. Some days the limits get enforced strictly, other days barely at all.

Granted 64 in a 45 is pushing it a little, but depending on the area, traffic at the time, and weather conditions, 64 may have been plenty safe. I've seen some 45 zones that really should be 55+.

Overall it's really the state's fault for keeping limits too low in certain areas. Can't blame the officers for that, but I don't think anyone here is. The cop was just doing his job, however I can't blame the guy that got the ticket for trying to keep the money is his pocket rather than the state/county/city.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

Yes it is really that simple. I can 100% gaurantee you that if you don't speed you won't get a speeding ticket. As far as tickets being money makers for the state, it's all a matter of perspective. It also can be looked at as an incentive for drivers to slow down. If you want to drive wide open everywhere you go, that's your choice. But when you get caught breaking a traffic law, there's nobody to blame but yourself, not the state, not the cops, just you. I'd like to think the act of taking responsibility for your actions is not a lost art.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:57 AM
11 Second Club

I can 100% gaurantee you that if you don't speed you won't get a speeding ticket.
drive in Sugar Grove for a while and then try saying that
Old 08-01-2006, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

I've been in this business awhile and have never seen or heard of any cop making **** up so he can write a speeding ticket. Job>speeding ticket. If what you say is true that's just beyond rediculous.

Last edited by rubber duck; 08-01-2006 at 01:13 AM.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:15 AM
11 Second Club

ive seen tickets written by SG cops before for 46 in a 45
Old 08-01-2006, 08:44 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,277 Posts

As far as tickets being money makers for the state, it's all a matter of perspective. It also can be looked at as an incentive for drivers to slow down.
It’s mostly just a game. That’s why things like court supervision exist for minor and seldom offenders; you wind up paying a fine (government still gets their cash) but your record stays clean for insurance purposes. If was really all about safety and incentive to slow down, then everything would go on your record for the insurance companies to see regardless, and penalties would be FAR more severe.

But what would happen then?

Well, if penalties were far more severe and options like supervision/classes didn’t exist to keep your record clean for insurance, more people might actually obey every speed limit, in addition to every other traffic law. Then the local/state governments would lose a revenue base and be forced to make it up in other ways, like raising taxes. And what happens when politicians raise taxes? It hurts their re-election campaigns. But traffic tickets do nothing to effect election results, so this is a better option. It looks great on paper: The people that pay are the people that disobey. So people that only get minor speeding tickets once in a great while show up to court, pay their reduced fine, take the supervision, keep the state funded, and life moves on.

Again, my point is, this is all just a game really. Not to say that people shouldn’t be responsible for their actions (I agree with you on that one), but I can’t see anything wrong with someone choosing to go to court and get the fine reduced and their record kept clean, regardless of whether they were actually speeding or not. They are just playing the game that the state created.

And you’re right. It’s not the cop’s fault (I never did blame the police) it’s just the way things work.

But I do still believe that the state should reconsider speed limits on many roads, especially the expressways. Modern safety equipment on today’s cars can allows drivers to stay safe in higher speed collisions than what they did 20 years ago.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well even 46 on 45 is breaking a law, but thats jsut stupid
Old 08-01-2006, 12:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

When you get pulled over and they ask if you know how fast your were going, or why you were pulled over. I think you should get a ticket for not knowing!! At least if you know how fast you were going you were paying attention.

Speeders are usually paying attention. It is the people doing their makeup, talking on the phone while reading the paper that usually try to run into me... Excessive speeding I agree is not a good idea.

As for your ticket, you would have to talk to a lawyer to see if you ticket is valid. If the wrong vehicle is on there, it would be just an easy to claim that he wrote the wrong speed also.

Brian
Old 08-01-2006, 12:13 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a typo on a ticket does not negate the ticket. As long as he has your name and license number correct, and was there to witness you speeding and is in court to testify to it, you're pretty much sol. If you were speeding, own up to it. If you don't want to get speeding tickets, don't speed. It's actually pretty simple.
Incorrect. False info like make/model & color DOES negate the ticket!
Old 08-01-2006, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Matt D
Incorrect. False info like make/model & color DOES negate the ticket!
Okay, whatever you'd like to think.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:20 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, whatever you'd like to think.
Are you a lawyer? No! Do you work with any type of court or legislature? I was a paralegal in the Marines and know the legal system. IT DOES NEGATE THE TICKET. Any false information on a police report/ticket can be argued and 9 times out of 10 is in the plaintiff's favor.

Try again junior, you'll lose.