Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK
View Poll Results: What impresses you more?
An 8 second shop built car
24.05%
An 10-11 second home built garage special
75.95%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

What impresses you more??

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PSJ is a big boy, (after seeing the NvsS photos I see he is a little bigger, married life is good isn't it John? ) he seems to handle himself quite well. I personally didn't see it as a PSJ "bash fest" but more of a people having a conversation of which they had strong feelings about.

At the end of the day it shouldn't matter how or who built the car, or if he or she will be impressed with it. You should be doing it for one person, yourself. If your happy with what you have and how it was done that is all that should matter.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

This is what I posted the first time.

I always feel better when I manage to do something on my own. Now I know there is always going to be something I can't do and for that I pay but if I could do it myself I would. This is why I voted for the home built even if it is home assembled. Doing any part of the job yourself is still more impressive then just paying to have it all done by somebody else.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:31 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not worked up, I try not to get too excited about what people on the intarweb think anyway, especially on car sites. The majority always rules, right or wrong. And everyone favors the slower home built car because thats what they have. Any true enthusiast would be more impressed with the faster car, regardless of who built what. If you're not impressed with the faster car, why the **** are you racing? Isn't being faster the point? Or did I miss the "A for Effort" trophies at my local track?

Last edited by BigD; 09-06-2006 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TS6
I'm not worked up, I try not to get too excited about what people on the intarweb think anyway, especially on car sites. The majority always rules, right or wrong. And everyone favors the slower home built car because thats what they have. Any true enthusiast would be more impressed with the faster car, regardless of who built what. If you're not impressed with the faster car, why the **** are you racing? Isn't being faster the point? Or did I miss the "A for Effort" trophies at my local track?

Out of curiosity what does your car run? Also about drag racing, there are other types of drag racing besides "heads up" there is "bracket" racing.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:39 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell if I know, I've only had it back for a few weeks and I'm not going to the track until next month it looks like. Its slow for what it has, no doubt. Its very heavy and I'm a shitty driver. Its one of those deals that can pick up 3 tenths with the better driver mod. It *should* crack a high 9. I bet it goes mid 10's if it doesn't break. Thats why I don't talk **** about how fast it is, there are plenty of cars here that are faster than mine for half the money. They are lighter by a huge margin, and I haven't been in anything this fast, so there's sure to be a learning curve.

I would expect my car to run mid 9's at a 3300 lb. raceweight. I'm just not willing to make the sacrifices neccessary to acheive that weight. Sacrifices like not eating cheeseburgers, lol......
Old 09-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TS6
Hell if I know, I've only had it back for a few weeks and I'm not going to the track until next month it looks like. Its slow for what it has, no doubt. Its very heavy and I'm a shitty driver. Its one of those deals that can pick up 3 tenths with the better driver mod. It *should* crack a high 9. I bet it goes mid 10's if it doesn't break. Thats why I don't talk **** about how fast it is, there are plenty of cars here that are faster than mine for half the money. They are lighter by a huge margin, and I haven't been in anything this fast, so there's sure to be a learning curve.

I would expect my car to run mid 9's at a 3300 lb. raceweight. I'm just not willing to make the sacrifices neccessary to acheive that weight. Sacrifices like not eating cheeseburgers, lol......
Gottcha, I understand completely. Good Luck with it!!
Old 09-05-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

I didnt vote but Id like to toss an opinion out there.

Who cares who built the car?
What happened to the days of just racing your car and not worrying who built the other guys cars? I dont care if you built it or a shop built it. Either way I would want to beat you.
Does getting beat by a shop car for 5k feel any different than getting beat by a home built car?
NOPE, either way its 5k.

A car is either nice or not, you either give it props or not.
Lets not forget, even when a car is built by a shop, its still a person building it.

You guys are basically debating who has time and knows how to wrench VS who knows what they want and pays for building the combo. Which is a waste.

Last I check, Records are Records. ET is ET.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:01 PM
12 Second Club

i voted 8 sec. shop car

A 8 second car is a 8 second car and thats all there is too it
Old 09-06-2006, 07:42 AM
Launching!

Looks like this post has "run it's course, like most seem to do here. I have to go now and work on "shop race cars" so I can relax and unwind tonight by doing a little work on "the home built" car. BigD out!

Last edited by BigD; 09-06-2006 at 10:03 AM.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:27 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Your locking of the thread is overruled.

This is an age old argument between "wrenchers" and "check-writers", and it will never end. There is no right or wrong answer, just opinions. To some people, time is money, and that time is better spent making money. This just leaves less time to do other things, so there are some sacrifices. For example, a guy that makes $100/hr at work is far more inclined to make that money and pay a reputable shop to build his car for $65/hr. There isn't anything wrong with that, and not everyone has the interest in wrenching or buying the tools required.

Many of you know that I used to do 100% of the work myself when I had one car. Now I work longer hours, have a wife and a child, and a few cars. I have to farm some stuff out in order to get things done in a timely fashion. That doesn't mean I don't wrench anymore, I still work on my cars almost nightly. I just get to be selective on what I enjoy working on, and farm the other stuff out. So, I suppose I'm a wrenching check-writer . Example, I didn't give a crap about working on the '06 Mustang GT, so I dropped it off at G-Force yesterday to have them install the turbo kit. Meanwhile, I'm working on the '98 Formula and assembling the engine for the '69. Stuff I enjoy working on.

Summary: Don't rag on other people just because YOU see things differently. To me, any 8-second car is impressive. An 11-second home built one barely turns my head anymore. A home-built 8-second car is more impressive, but I am happy to check out any fast car, no matter where it came from. Back when I was a broke college kid and was forced to work on my own stuff, I never ragged on the check-writers. I guess some of us have a little more common sense and understand the reasons of other people. Some of you might try and learn that.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:16 PM
8 Second Club

Very Good post Tony.

You are what you are so be it.Meaning that you pay when you have become bored with medial tasks.But you still are capable of doing it yourself .I commend you and understand your position.The biggest problem that I have with "shop car owners"Is ALOT of them like to make you believe that they were capable of building it themselves but would rather pay someone .Some can.....most cant .That is why this thread will lead to no end because ego's will not let oneself admit The truth. There are a shitload of impressive cars out there ,people should just give credit where credit is due. Shop cars =shops and employees Homebuilt =the owner or builder.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:22 PM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very good post by Tony as usual, well put. someone like you that has 5 projects on the plate at all times i will never fault for outsourcing some of it, i can hardly keep up with my ONE car's constant issues and still have a life, i couldn't wrap my mind around multiple ones.

BUT, like Sikora/z8's said this thread got going really b/c of egos, not much else.

Guys like me,timmy,sikora we get worked up sometimes b/c its just a natural reaction due to the fact that for every 5 shop built car owners we meet out there, 3 of them talk about the car like they built it and give NO credit to who actually put the car together, so I guess its force of habit to get kind of riled up when this subject comes up. no biggie.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:00 AM
Launching!

Does SOMEONE need a hug? Come see me at RSD on the 23rd.
Old 09-07-2006, 08:35 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I thought of another version of "check-writer". I know a few guys that do not physically turn the wrenches on their cars, but they have the knowledge to do so. They are the guys that spec out all of their own parts and products, and have a hand in the overall design or build of the car. Things are built to their ideas, using parts they have selected. That way, when the car is completed, it truly is their own build.

I really don't think I could ever buy someone's completed project and call it my own. It would always be seen as "their car" instead of yours. For example, if someone bought Dave Underwoods yellow Camaro, it would still be seen as Dave's car. If you have no time to wrench, be like the guy I described above, and at least be involved in the build. That way when young ego dudes approach you with questions at the track or car show, you know the answers
Old 09-07-2006, 10:41 AM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I think sometimes you need to build it yourself to apreciate it. yes there are hundreds of 10-11 sec home built cars out there, mine included. however, the feeling of making a pass in something you built yourself far outweighs a faster shop built car in my opinion. yes a high 8 low 9 second car is nuts, that's why i'm staring at a bare ls2 block in my dorm right now that will soon be a home built 9 sec car. notice how I said bare block, not a short. because the feeling of doing everything yourself makes it worth it. even if the car goes 9.9 with what i'm planning i'll still be happy.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:17 AM
Launching!

Gonna "revive" this thread in honor of BradWS6's 9.88@137 run. Those of you who are impressed with a 10-11 second garage home built special, should really appreciate Brad's accomplishment. Brad this post is for "YOU"!

Quick Reply: What impresses you more??