Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

OHIO members.. your opinions please...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OHIO members.. your opinions please...

How is the street racing scene in Ohio... or the cops... penalties.. etc.

I'm looking to go to college in cleveland for technology (OTC) but there are a bunch of schools that all offer the same thing so I am trying to decide by which area I will like most. I'm wondering about how the cops are in the area... hows the cruise scene ( and competition for that matter )... and the atmosphere in general in the Cleveland area... now dont get me wrong I care about more than that so I'm looking for general impressions on the area.

Thanks all.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:13 PM
Launching!

Lived hear all my life on westside, compared to what I read about in other cities, chicago, detroit,etc, cleveland sucks. I'm thinking about moving to detroit because the scene looks much better. I've been robbed at gunpoint in my front yard so I don't think I could do much worse up there. There are some cool cars here, not very many ls1's except mostly stock vettes, but if you drive about 1 hour in different directions to the track you can find different cars. 3 race tracks are about an hour out of cleveland, norwalk-west,thompson-east, and dragway 42-south. Norwalk has the best turnout and is the best track surface,facility, by far, but you usually get about 3 runs in 3 hours on wend., friday night. The most ls1's I see at Thompson,2nd best, and dragway 42 is pretty much still a dump, but you can usually pick up a mph or 2 because it goes down hill lol. There are some cool cops, I've been pretty lucky, but there are plenty of pr*cks. Its a dying city, they say under 400,000 thousand people in the next few years, houses for sale all over, nobody buying. Go south, I hear the women are much friendlier,and you can race all year long. Don't mean to try talking you out of it but theres not a whole lot to see hear. Lake Erie can make you sick if you swim in the wrong places and our river caught on fire. Cedar point and Lebron is about all we have. But if you do end up moving out hear I'll race ya. What is otc anyways? What schools?
Old 09-03-2006, 05:19 PM
Launching!

oh ya, the power tour starts off here next year I hear.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:07 PM
TECH Regular

OTC is the Ohio Technical Institute... and my other options are UTI in arizona and well all over the US.. but i like the idea of arizona.

I just dont want to end up in hickville with nothing to do and the police givin me a hard time when I could go somewhere else with a good atmosphere (dont know where that place is.. but Im sure there is one)... i hope.

Thanks for the info... and the school i was looking at is in the "indusrial section of cleveland i guesse you would say.

Keep the opinions comin ya'll.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Launching!

Your not going to get to many opinions, not many people from this area post on here. I know what school your talking about, I worked with a kid that came down from Lakawana NY to go there. Its also where I took my ase certs. They give you a box and a decent set of tools but you will still need way more. The school is not a good hands on teacher. Uti would probably be a much better choice, I want to go there but have never met any body that graduated from there. Building race cars is much better then r+r work.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cleveland is pretty much a **** hole (no offense). I think the city itself is plain ugly. I never lived there, but I've been in that area plenty of times and I don't like it. There's not too much in Ohio, and that's why I moved to Texas. If I were you I'd look into Arizona.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Junkie

I went to school at Case in Cleveland, I hate cleveland. I'd never live there. Then again I hated Case so maybe thats part of my grudge! lol
Old 09-03-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1obsession
Cleveland is pretty much a **** hole (no offense). I think the city itself is plain ugly. I never lived there, but I've been in that area plenty of times and I don't like it. There's not too much in Ohio, and that's why I moved to Texas. If I were you I'd look into Arizona.
Couldnt agree more and I live here!! The summer is short and the winters are long and f-ing cold!!!

And as for the cops, ******!!
Old 09-03-2006, 11:10 PM
chronic masturbator

go south of cleve for good racing (akron)
Old 09-05-2006, 04:01 PM
Teching In

clevelands not that bad.. it was actually voted one of the most livable big cities in the nation.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:34 AM
Staging Lane

I just moved to Clevelands west side about 4 months ago from Chicago where I played in a band called the Spazmatics an 80's tribute band. I'm going through some culture shock for sure. In Chicago I knew 10-20 places to go on weekends to get races or just hang with other LS1 owners/modifiers. Out here i've yet to see maybe 2 LS1's on the Street let alone see a hang out spot.

I'm into shooting pool too but i haven't found anything that even remotly resembles a straight out pool hall within an hours drive from here.

I came out here alone about 5-6 months ago to see a cousin off to the Navy and met a girl, so I moved here...lol... I'm looking for some hang out spots or whatever to do out here...Any idea from locals?

Jon
312-550-3607
Support@RakeReward.com
Old 09-08-2006, 10:06 AM
Suspended Sponsor

Wow all of you guys, you need to come about 20-30 minutes south to GMR if you are looking for a bunch of LS1 guys to hang out with. Actually we have a pretty good convoy heading down to Dragway 42 tonight.

As far as street racing.... well um... I know nothing about that, actually I heard it was illegal ?
Old 09-08-2006, 10:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Leo@GMRSPEED
Wow all of you guys, you need to come about 20-30 minutes south to GMR if you are looking for a bunch of LS1 guys to hang out with. Actually we have a pretty good convoy heading down to Dragway 42 tonight.

As far as street racing.... well um... I know nothing about that, actually I heard it was illegal ?
Now this might sound silly to you but...What is a GMR?
Old 09-08-2006, 10:28 AM
Suspended Sponsor

Wow, we need to do alot more local advertising. We are a speed/performance shop that specalizes in parts sales and installation for late model Fbodies and Corvettes. Check out our site, www.GMRSPEED.com or stop by sometime, or you can even give me a call at 330-273-4948.

-Leo
Old 09-08-2006, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Leo@GMRSPEED
Wow, we need to do alot more local advertising. We are a speed/performance shop that specalizes in parts sales and installation for late model Fbodies and Corvettes. Check out our site, www.GMRSPEED.com or stop by sometime, or you can even give me a call at 330-273-4948.

-Leo
Hey don't feel bad, one of the first things i noticed about Cleveland is that nothing is in plain site. I need to have a few things looked at from all the traveling i've been doing with this car. i'll give you guys a call on Monday...
How far are you from Rocky River?
Old 09-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Suspended Sponsor

We are about a half hour south, just a quick trip down I71 for ya.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:56 PM
Launching!

I love Cleveland. But it is a city you have to get to know to love it. Like what was said...things are not always so obvious...you have to look for them or know they are there.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:55 PM
11 Second Club

Cleveland is really not that bad. I live in Cleveland, and I can tell you that the City has a lot to offer.
Great art scene, one of the best orchestras in the nation, plenty of awesome restaurants...
As far as street reacing goes, there is not that much going on around here.
However, rest assured, that if you are looking for trouble on a saturday night you will find it!!
I work for Cleveland EMS and I can tell you, that it is not any better or worse than any other big urban area in the US.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by meatfoam
Cleveland is really not that bad. I live in Cleveland, and I can tell you that the City has a lot to offer.
Great art scene, one of the best orchestras in the nation, plenty of awesome restaurants...
As far as street reacing goes, there is not that much going on around here.
However, rest assured, that if you are looking for trouble on a saturday night you will find it!!
I work for Cleveland EMS and I can tell you, that it is not any better or worse than any other big urban area in the US.
Nobody could possibly ever say that clevelanders can't drink! i'[m just starting to wonder if it's because there's nothing else to do here...lol
Old 09-09-2006, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

I live in Westlake - seems like I always see nice F-bodies around when I'm not in mine!

Plenty of places to eat, drink, etc around here, at least.

Quick Reply: OHIO members.. your opinions please...