Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Fight 86 in a 65 ticket?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fight 86 in a 65 ticket?

I've read widely varying costs for lawyers before, so I can't decide whether to have a lawyer take this up or not. I was late to school and the airplane measured my speed with the stopwatch, and then Iowa State Patrol pointed at me to pull over. Anyone give me some advice here? Talk to a judge or something, maybe?

I have a feeling insurance cost is going to explode.

On top of that, I can't really afford the $175, anyway.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

well If you were going the fast pay the ticket. Going to court is a drug out process. Its upto you, but in my experience (i didnt have a lawyer) If you were going that fast pay it. Good luck with what ever you do.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

im 18 to depends on your record i think and what kind of guy the judge is? i got a two tickets in central IL and go supervision for both just plead guilty with supervision your going to have to pay the fine regardless just this way it wont show up on your record
Old 10-30-2006, 05:50 PM
Staging Lane

I agree with Kanes.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Best bet is to take supervision if it's offered like others suggested. Pay the fine and don't screw up for a while.

Trying to talk to the judge is a very bad idea.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

See if there is an optional defensive driving course that you can take, if so then it shouldnt go to the insurance co.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SSPEEDY
Trying to talk to the judge is a very bad idea.
best advice right there. I was a cop and I saw a guy try to talk to a judge that does not bs around and his fine went from 200 to 500 because he pissed off the judge and he lost the supervision the judge gave him originally. ask for supervision and pay the fine, a lawyer is not worth it for that.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:10 AM
Launching!

i just went to court for mine. i got arrested for doing 45 over. my lawyer talked to the judge for me and i got fien 200 dollars and have to take the 6 hour driving course. sucks but would have been way worse (reckless driving chrages or suspended license) but for a 21 over just pay the ticket and ask for supervision thats what i did when i got pulld over doing 86 in a 65 and its not on my record
Old 10-31-2006, 08:13 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Either get a lawyer or just hope for some leniency. Always dress very nice to court and don't try to talk to the judge.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Thank you for all the responses, I have no experience with something like this since I was last written for 10 over, and curfew violation (at the same time) 2 years ago and I just paid it, but Iowa's speeding fines doubled earlier this year, so I'm kind of freaking out, since I haven't had a job since school started. On top of that, I'm attempting to get a job in the automotive field, and if this doesn't have to go on my record, I sure don't want it to.

More advice for court? Dress well, be extremely polite ("Your Honor, please, thank you, sir"), but what's gonna happen? They'll ask me how I plead, I say guilty, then what? Do I need to speak to the DA beforehand, or in the courtroom? How exactly do I go to court but not talk to the judge is what I'm trying to say..
Old 10-31-2006, 11:50 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I would dress nice, be polite. Court is where you take out the earring, don't wear a gold chain, or spike your hair. In my experience most judges are tough and cranky. They will most likely just ask how you plead. You might not talk at all. If you do, then think of a smooth excuse like you were running late to class but that you know that is no excuse for speeding like that, because remember, it was 21 over the limit.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

Alright, thank you. That is actually exactly what I'll say, because that is exactly the truth. I was wondering specifically how I would be able to ask for probation, or defensive driving, or possibly paying a higher fine now, just to keep it off my record. Basically, I'll just sit there, possibly plead guilty, if they ask, and then the judge will rule? If I do choose to go to court, does that mean I'm contesting it? I.e., if the officer does not attend the trial/ruling, will I simply walk away?

Hopefully someone with recent experience with Iowa courts can clue me in here, I would like to know the process in detail so I can figure out what I should do. (hire a lawyer or no)
Old 10-31-2006, 04:17 PM
Launching!

i don't know about iowa, but illinois you go to court the judge will ask you how you plea and then the judge will ask the state's attorney for a reccomendation. if your record is clean you will most likely get supervision. dont say anything else like any kind of excuse or anything just say guilty your honor, and then hope for the best. usually you can try and talk to the prosecutor before your court date and work out what will happen. just get to court about 15 minutes early, dress nice, check in with the state's attorney if you need to, and DO NOT BE LATE!!
Old 10-31-2006, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My court experience was for a pub. intox, not a driving violation so I dont know how much different things will go, but heres how my day went. I went to court, when my case was called i went up. I stated my name and he then stated my charge and asked my plea. after that he read how the plea was punishible and then asked the prosecutor if there was a plea bargin, (which I had a lawyer call up and get me one) and then after that i was issued probation and went to my prob. officer after that.

so my advice would be to see if you can talk to any lawyer (parents friends, buddys parents, etc.) see what its punishment is, and if possible, have a lawyer call up the courthouse and see if he can get you defensive driving or whatnot. But like I said i dont know how traffic court goes so i dont know if that would work. Good luck with it though
Old 11-01-2006, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

How much did you pay for the lawyer to talk to the district attorney?

Thank you everyone for the help, I really appreciate it.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

He did it for free because I grew up with his son and he is a friend of my parents. Thats why Id see if you had any buddys whos parents were lawyers or if your parents had and friends that were lawyers becuase then he/she could give the courthouse a call and see if they can just get you a defensive driving course.
Old 11-02-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ballistic Jello
How much did you pay for the lawyer to talk to the district attorney?

Thank you everyone for the help, I really appreciate it.
most lawyers around here seem to charge minimum 750 to "just talk".

as far as what to do when you're in court no problem. Just show up and listen for your name, normally the judge or clerk will explain everything when court opens. A chimp usually has a better shot because they never talk back

Quick Reply: Fight 86 in a 65 ticket?