Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Minimum Wage Throwdown Thread for IL...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z11375ss
Why not have everybody make 22.50 an hour? Isn't this a fair living wage? The only reason politicians make these kind of asinine proposals is because they don't have to pay for it. No accountability. If a business can't hire people for 6.50 they will pay more until they get their hires. No one in this country should be able to dictate what a person should pay his employees. The word is dictate as in dictatorship. What a bunch of shitbags these guys are. Theyr'e going to put alot of people out of work or not into work. One of the two. There's my rant!

i have not made min wage since high school ...... go get a good education other than running your mouth.......have you ever heard about the cost of goods????? jobs leaving the country??? yeh lets put min wage to 22.50 / hr.....then watch the us fall.....what are you going to do when your happy meal cost $18.50????? wow sounds like someone should move out of his moms basement and get a clue....lol
Old 12-18-2006, 10:33 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kdogc5
i have not made min wage since high school ...... go get a good education other than running your mouth.......have you ever heard about the cost of goods????? jobs leaving the country??? yeh lets put min wage to 22.50 / hr.....then watch the us fall.....what are you going to do when your happy meal cost $18.50????? wow sounds like someone should move out of his moms basement and get a clue....lol
Dude...I think you are both making the same point and are on the same side of the argument.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

Yes we are. I haven't lived in my mom's basement for at least two weeks. Oh Yeah, and I have a B.A. in Economics so I know a little bit about this kind of stuff.

Last edited by z11375ss; 12-18-2006 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:57 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,706 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Originally Posted by z11375ss
Why not have everybody make 22.50 an hour? Isn't this a fair living wage? The only reason politicians make these kind of asinine proposals is because they don't have to pay for it. No accountability. If a business can't hire people for 6.50 they will pay more until they get their hires. No one in this country should be able to dictate what a person should pay his employees. The word is dictate as in dictatorship. What a bunch of shitbags these guys are. Theyr'e going to put alot of people out of work or not into work. One of the two. There's my rant!
Originally Posted by kdogc5
Originally Posted by BADSZ28
Dude...I think you are both making the same point and are on the same side of the argument.
I beleive this applies here:

Old 12-18-2006, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

all i have to say is i wish i lived back in the 60's! between our economy and and social security its gonna be hard when im 70 years old and too beat up to work anymore!
Old 12-18-2006, 07:31 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by pro2low
all i have to say is i wish i lived back in the 60's! between our economy and and social security its gonna be hard when im 70 years old and too beat up to work anymore!
Just make sure you have a solid retirement plan and don't worry about social security. Whatever you get from the governement should just be an added bonus. Hell I don't plan to work past age 50-55, but I'm also willing to make certain choices to make this happen that many other's are not.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

02sierraz71_5.3 is totally right, I constantly hear the stories of people back in the 60's working lower wage jobs and buying new cars, nice performance-based new cars. Try doing that today! Good luck.
Which is why i am extremely proud to own my 99 T/A that i bought and paid for right before i turned 16. I work crappy minimum wage jobs, im in highschool, thats what i expect. But - i also started a small mowing business, and i made about 2-4K a year since i was 12 (a special thanks to my dad for helping me get it started : P) last yr. i had about 6K profit, which gave me just enough to buy my one owner TA w/ only 21K miles.

That was prolly my proudest moment- tons of my friends drive beaters b.c they dont work for anything. So even at minimum wage it's possible if you try hard enough. Right now i scoop cow ****, and walk dogs at a vet clinic from 5-7am before school, go to school, weight lift for football, then work normally 5-8 @ subway. Both jobs @ about minimum wage. It sucks, its supposed to, I'm young. It makes me want to get an education so i can actually make good money one day. I wish more people saw it this way. It sucks - ITS SUPPOSED TO get educated, get a good job.

As for middle class, also sux w/ taxes and all. I come from a middle class family. My dads a farmer, so i know all about it. Keep truckin.... sorry for the long rant.

and p.s i got a steal on that T/A at $12,900
Old 12-18-2006, 08:57 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by CockerKid009
get educated, get a good job.
I'm not so sure that having a "job" is the way to go anymore. I'm looking more and more towards going the small business route. Frankly, I'm getting sick of making other people rich working for them. Yeah I plan to retire early with my current budget and conservative lifestyle however working for other people is getting old. I can't see myself doing this for the rest of my working life. Both my Father and Grandfather saw things the same way. They got smart, stopped making money for other people, and each built businesses for themselves. My problem is, so far I lack the ***** they had when getting started. It's not easy, I saw what my Dad went though when I was a kid. But I've also seen the sort of money that can be made if you put in the effort and know what you're doing.

One day, I'll get my **** together and stop making others rich.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:14 PM
Banned

Its pot meet kettle with this debate often?

People will blast all the working poor while taking home big checks themself but when they make 75k+ per year, who absorbs these salaries?

How many people are on minimum wage nowadays? My brother came out of high school and found a summer job for $11 an hour. Damn that would have been nice back in my day. Started as a apprentice mechanic for $5.65 hour long time ago or UPS making $8.50 an hour (worst job ever). So I can only think of few jobs in chicago that pay minimum wage, its a fair market value.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:57 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I'm not so sure that having a "job" is the way to go anymore. I'm looking more and more towards going the small business route. Frankly, I'm getting sick of making other people rich working for them. Yeah I plan to retire early with my current budget and conservative lifestyle however working for other people is getting old. I can't see myself doing this for the rest of my working life. Both my Father and Grandfather saw things the same way. They got smart, stopped making money for other people, and each built businesses for themselves. My problem is, so far I lack the ***** they had when getting started. It's not easy, I saw what my Dad went though when I was a kid. But I've also seen the sort of money that can be made if you put in the effort and know what you're doing.

One day, I'll get my **** together and stop making others rich.

Yep...small business/entrepreneur is the best way to go. I have been thinking about this for years. I too had a lawn maintenance business as a kid. I needed partners to keep up, but that always fell through so I just quit and got a typical minimum wage job. Same thing happened when I was detailing cars. I could not be in school and keep up business on my own. My good friend was all about it, but when it came time to roll the dice it was a no go. I now have a wife and house to take care of and can not afford to drop everything to start something like this unless it is sure fire. I just need better ideas.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:07 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by BADSZ28
I now have a wife and house to take care of and can not afford to drop everything to start something like this unless it is sure fire. I just need better ideas.
Man, sounds like we are in the same exact position.....
Old 12-19-2006, 10:12 AM
11 Second Club

I am willing to make the comitment, just need a good idea that works and does not cost too much.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

agreed, small businesses are where the moneys at. I can work all summer @ my jobs and not make squat compared to what i'm making with my mowing- i'm averaging about 20-30 dollars an hour depending where i'm mowing. Not to mention the freedom of working my own hours and not having anyone tell me what to do. If you have a great idea and you do the right research go small biz.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:46 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Ok we all agree, small business is good. Now we just need a really good idea, some hard work, and a little luck.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:53 PM
11 Second Club

Ok we all agree, small business is good. Now we just need a really good idea, some hard work, and a little luck.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:15 PM
NKAWTG...N

I say we go V for Vendetta style on the Capital if this bill passes
Old 12-19-2006, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

I agree that these minimum wage hikes suck...All the dumb lemmings voted for the minimum wage increase here in ohio. So now inflation will go up and my wage will not keep pace...fricking idiots. Work hard and be rewarded for a job well done. Don't just ask for everything to be handed to you.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

Any ideas?
Old 12-19-2006, 08:57 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by RPM Mark
Any ideas?
How about a drive-thru sex store?

We'll call it Blow-and-Go.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Regular

How about a drive-thru sex store?

We'll call it Blow-and-Go.
****-N-Go
Stop and Go
*** and Go
I got a couple more but there may be children listening

Quick Reply: Minimum Wage Throwdown Thread for IL...