Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

will i pass???

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default will i pass???

so my dad brought up a good point today, will i pass emmisions? if i run cats with the mods in my sig should i pass?? if not am i f***ed completely?
Old 02-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Teching In

are your cats gone. I live in IL as well and as long as ses light is not on there should notbe any reason you would fail
Old 02-12-2007, 09:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,208 Posts

What state do you live in? In IL, you don't need cats to pass. Just custom tuning to get rid of the SES light and any other DTCs for removed emissions equpitment.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you know anyone who knows anything about tuning they can pretty much make you pass emissions no matter whats done to your car as long as your PCM works
Old 02-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Teching In

there are items you have for emissions that they see on there computer. EGR, air system, catylst, o2 sensers, heater circuits for 02 senser. you need to have at least three of the five items to pass emissions. If you have the emissions removed by custom tuning the emissions people will see this as a N\A on there compter and you will fail the test. This happened to me before. I don't have cats on my car but have the o2 sims on.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Import Patrol

I went into emissons with my car last year. Cammin with a t-rex, no cats, on slicks and skinnes, and cage. They looked at me funny as hell. But I passed with flying colors.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:25 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by justinbmx
If you have the emissions removed by custom tuning the emissions people will see this as a N\A on there compter and you will fail the test.
Not if it's tuned properly. There are different ways of turning off the DTCs. If you do it the wrong way, then yes the tests will show as 'incomplete' and you will be rejected (not failed) for the test.

Tune it properly, and there will be no issues. It's a matter of making the DTC test run (on), but turning the MIL off (making it a Type X [no MIL] DTC) for that DTC test.

PS. There are more than 5 OBD tests that they scan, and you have to have more than just 3 as "complete".
Old 02-12-2007, 09:30 PM
Teching In

I'm not going to mention the speed that tuned my car. But when I went to the emission lane I failed. Took car back to the speed shop and told them what happened. Speed shop reply. Well you wouldn't have passed emissions. So, they fixed it and passed emissions. Maybe nto the best tuners.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

im getting my car done at speed inc (dyno and tune) so should i tell them that before they do it so they no or what?
Old 02-12-2007, 09:39 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

FYI.

There are 3 types of DTCs (Detected Trouble Code). Type A, B, and C.

Type A will illuminate the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) after the first occurrence. These are the most serious emissions failures that will have the greatest impact on engine performance and the most negative impact on vehicle emissions.

Type B will illuminate the MIL after the second occurrence of the same condition. The first occurrence will be a “pending” DTC (no MIL yet) until (and unless) a second occurrence is registered by the PCM before “xx” amount of drive cycles are completed without a second occurrence. If there is no second occurrence, then the pending DTC will vanish.

Type C typically have little or no real impact on emissions. These are issues that the PCM sees, but will not drastically effect engine performance or vehicle emissions. The automotive engineers/programmer are not allowed to illuminate the MIL for non-emissions related DTCs. These are stored in the PCM and can be retrieved with an OBD scanner, but you will never see an SES for it. A Type C DTC will not cause you to fail an OBD scan emissions test.

Type X = MIL turned off. This is what you want to set the respective DTC as if you plan to remove emissions equipment. You want to leave the test ‘on’, but the MIL should be set to Type X. Not all tuning software works the same though, so I’m not sure what the options are in different revisions of LS1 tuning programs. I know my old school LS1 Edit software uses Type X to kill the MIL but run the tests so you still pass an OBD scan.
Old 02-12-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey thanks a lot guys for the quick posts.. i appreciate it a lot
Old 02-12-2007, 09:48 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by transamfreak01
hey thanks a lot guys for the quick posts.. i appreciate it a lot

Always glad to help.

Quick Reply: will i pass???