Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuners

Looking to have some tuning done for my H/C 98 TA here in the near future. was wanting to see if guys could tell me what shops you have experience with, were you pleased, and would you recommend them. Just your overall experience. Please don't comment unless you have dealt with the shop's tuning. Thank you
Old 06-20-2007, 11:10 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I deal with Mike H. at Straightline Performance in New Lenox. Hands down one of the best tuners in the country, let alone the state. He can tune pretty much anything you can throw at him, and I have personally seen him fix other shops mistakes more than once.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Dan Bills at FLP is one of the best tuners in the Midwest. He has more experience tuning than almost any other tuner in the Chicagoland area. From bolt on cars to full on race cars he has tuned both. I personally had a tune done by another big shop in the Chicago area, it idled like ****, died in reverse, and wasn't making the power it should. Dan retuned the car and it runs WORLDS better and made more HP. But be prepared to wait to have him tune your car he is booked up for weeks year round.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:42 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the input guys
Old 06-21-2007, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by maddboost
Dan Bills at FLP is one of the best tuners in the Midwest. He has more experience tuning than almost any other tuner in the Chicagoland area. From bolt on cars to full on race cars he has tuned both. I personally had a tune done by another big shop in the Chicago area, it idled like ****, died in reverse, and wasn't making the power it should. Dan retuned the car and it runs WORLDS better and made more HP. But be prepared to wait to have him tune your car he is booked up for weeks year round.
I have not dealt with Dan myself but from talking to workers from the different shops he seems to be the most highly recomanded of anyone. The other shops will be able to tune your car just fine but like I said I heard from people that work at other shops say he's the best. If that isn't a great endorsment I don't know what is.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:09 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another vote for Dan Bills. Most people who ride in my car expect it to be loud, rowdy, rattly, and idle like *** and stall and what not. They are usually suprised at how tame a 750 RWHP car can be when set up right.

Since Dan drives and owns a faster car than any of us will ever see, I think he knows a thing or two about making power. Even if it is a Ford.....
Old 06-21-2007, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

Speed Inc all the way for me when it comes to tuning.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:56 PM
11 Second Club

I'm really not going to get into where I had it done before, but after I had my H/C swap I had the car tuned. Which was a long ordeal and I am gratefull that they took my car in without an appointment and fixed my issues. When I picked it up, I was told it spend about 7 hours on the dyno and pulled about 10 times, seems a bit much to me, but I don't know anything about tuning so what the hell. Ever since I picked it up, it would surge coming back down to an idle, the kind of surge that went from 2rpm to 2000rpm, damn near giving you whiplash. This being my first cammed car, I thought MAYBE this is normal, and seeing as that I am running a MS3, I expected some driveablitly issues. After numerous times of almost surging through stop signs and many accounts of getting dirty looks and middle fingers from old ladies, I decided this isn't right. So one day while I'm at the Suzuki dealer near FLP, I decided to stop in and ask some questions, both Mitch and Dan said that thats all a tuning issue. So instead of calling shop A (who very well may have said, bring it back and we'll get this straightened out), I just had FLP re-tune it, plus it wouldn't have been an hour drive for me, and after spending 7 hours and pulled 10 times, you would think it should be right.

sorry for the long story, but that was my experience and I'm very pleased with the day it drives now

Last edited by LiquidFire350; 06-23-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:53 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1tech-sponsor-feedback/731350-exotic-performance-plus.html Bob
Old 06-23-2007, 11:31 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Matt D
I deal with Mike H. at Straightline Performance in New Lenox. Hands down one of the best tuners in the country, let alone the state. He can tune pretty much anything you can throw at him, and I have personally seen him fix other shops mistakes more than once.
I definetly agree. Mike did an awesome job on my GTO and he and the guys there were great to deal with.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:53 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Speed Inc did my Sliverado with the procharger and Straightline did my Camaro, both did a good job and I was very happy.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Matt D
Another vote for Mike at Straightline. He did exactly that for me today, fixed someone elses mistake and found a ton more power! Great guy to deal with and very thorough, he spent 4 hours tuning my engine today!

Quick Reply: Tuners