Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Tech Inspection at GLD

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 11:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tech Inspection at GLD

Mods are in the sig, (most of 'em anyway). I ordered a roll bar from Wolfe but it's still 3 weeks away. I don't know if the car is going to run a 12.5 or a 10.5. I haven't been to GLD since Broadway Bob owned it and some people have said that they wouldn't even let me run without a cage??? I'd really like to get it to the track and at least see what kind of 60's it's doing but I don't want to load it up and drag it all the way there for nothing.

Question... What have you guys run into up there?
Old 06-26-2007, 12:15 AM
12 Second Club

It might just depend on the day. I'm not an expert on teching in at GLD as my car has little done and it is easy to tech in. My brother has an 04 GTO that he runs a 125 shot on. He has been there 4 times and last friday was the first time that they asked him to pop the hood and open the trunk. Ever other time they just checked his helmet. His car says N20GTO on the license plates and also on the hood. Might just depend on who you get. I'm sure some of the guys with more mods will be able to tell you more. Just thought it was strange with them going to the new rules that they didn't even check under his hood to look at his setup.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:17 AM
11 Second Club

They didn't even open the hood? Maybe it's time to load up the trailer...
Old 06-26-2007, 09:51 AM
Teching In

most often, if a car looks stock, they usually dont lift the hood on it... even if they lift the hood... dont be afraid... when they ask you.. "how fast you going to run..?" just tell them... well Im hopin for 12.00... but i would imagine only 13.00... and chuckle.. then say.. "you know how that goes
Old 06-26-2007, 10:17 AM
11 Second Club

Last couple times there they checked my helmet to make sure it was up to date and made sure I had a DSL and asked how fast I was running. Just say you are thinking high 11s low 12s and sandbag the first pass just in case they are watching. You will be fine. But I would not know anything about tricking tech.
Old 06-26-2007, 10:31 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I have not raced much lately but at GLD in the past I noticed they were more rigorous if the car was old or crappy looking. Then they would check the overflow/catch cans, battery tiedowns, and stuff like that.

When it comes to our newer cars, they are more lenient.

You might want to see how it does. But put a driveshaft loop on it.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you run in a series they go through your car for the safety stuff pretty well, and you end up getting a tech sticker for the year. If it's your first time out, they will check your helmet,and depending on tires, they will ask a about a drive shaft loop. If you run under a time where you need more safety equiptment, then after the second warning your are done for the day. Good Luck!
Old 06-26-2007, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Was my first time up there. Stock looking LS1. No helmet cuz I heard you had to tech in before you rented one. Ended up not needing one. Guy just popped the hood, signed off on the paper, and said go ahead. Raced about 4 times and a buddy of mine too, and we weren't told anyting about no helmets. It was on RSD night too.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:33 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks Guys... It's got the ds loop, open end lugs with ARP studs all the way around, and MT Streets in back with Sportsmans up front. Which I think might raise a red flag and cause them to dig a little deeper. Just checked the DA and it's about 2500' right now so maybe I'll just wait... Getting kind of anxious tho...
Old 06-26-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

RSD Night they let a lot go on safety equiptment. I didn't go this last one, but heard it was a good turnout.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:17 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

If your 10.0 or slower the rollbar with a harness and helmet with the proper snell rating and is not out of date also.If you make an attempt for saftey and they catch somthing they don't like they will let you slide and just make it right the next time out. You might need a fire jacket to but i don't know the cut off for the jacket it might be 10.0 or faster i might be wrong.
Old 06-26-2007, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks Tuff, I do have a jacket cuz the bottle is on the trans tunnel and I heard that it is required. Seemed like a good idea anyway (kind of like the wheel studs). Good news is I talked to Wolfe today and they said my bar should be done in a week or so.

After all of this I'll probably go out and run a 12.00...
Old 06-28-2007, 06:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When I had the Z there 2 summers ago with slicks/skinnies, rumpety rump idle, and a big bottle between the seats the tech guy basically was like "yup, that's a car" and let me go. Didn't ask for helmet, didn't look at wheelstuds (that I scrambled to change that day) nothin'.
Went out and ran low 11's trapped at 128 and still no one said anything.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:50 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by BradWS6
RSD Night they let a lot go on safety equiptment. I didn't go this last one, but heard it was a good turnout.

They looked at my car for a long time. They are playing by the rules this year! NHRA

Quick Reply: Tech Inspection at GLD