Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Indy People....check-in and say hi!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason ex-G8 owner aka ex-benny roommate just laid down 606rwhp with his turbo gt on a 9psi

Last edited by Chris C.; 03-11-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation

Originally Posted by ssmith512
You'll be pleased with Mike Norris. He has been treating me and my Z06 nicely since he moved up here. A really really great guy.

used to hear the same sorta things about a "tuner" that lived in kokomo
hmmm,
funny how they always seem dissapear isnt it
Old 03-11-2010, 03:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dragman
How much Boost u running? What are ur 1/4 mile times in that Beast?
20 lbs. I haven't ran it at the track since last year when it was on 14psi.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Starting to wonder if Benny will even be standing on the podium at the IHP event.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by t/a for life
man you better calm down cuz i forgot my boots cuz gettin VERY deep hahahahaha
i dont know about u but its getting warm out so i got my rubber boots!!lmao
Old 03-11-2010, 05:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ls1leadfoot
used to hear the same sorta things about a "tuner" that lived in kokomo
hmmm,
funny how they always seem dissapear isnt it
yeah that great tuner in kokomo did a number on my car! what a flake, mike seems alot better, but like LS1leadfoot said, i used to think the other "tuner" was a good guy too

Last edited by 94 s dime; 03-11-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:55 PM
12 Second Club

whats your guys complaints with "the other tuner". i belive i know who were refering to. if you dont wanna post it just pm me im intrested to know because i know him. lot more to the story and our little shop we have, but curious what he pulled with you guys that delt with him.

Damn it i actually thought i was gonna be competitive this year! lol
Old 03-11-2010, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

i just want a good tune....dont care what the guy is like..what he drives or where he lives....to a certain point....dont care how much it costs
hell he can be a complete dick but if my car runs like a raped ape....then the ******** earned his money

ill be getting ahold of mike for a tune as well guys ,but sure dont hope to be posting in here in another 6mo because he "stopped" tuning, or doesnt answer his phone, or whatever might be the case as something usually comes up
ya know
Old 03-11-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

i just want a good tune....dont care what the guy is like..what he drives or where he lives....to a certain point....dont care how much it costs
hell he can be a complete dick but if my car runs like a raped ape....then the ******** earned his money

ill be getting ahold of mike for a tune as well guys ,but sure dont hope to be posting in here in another 6mo because he "stopped" tuning, or doesnt answer his phone, or whatever might be the case as something usually comes up
ya know
I'll tune it! I've got a cable and LT1Edit around here somewhere....
Old 03-11-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

ya know
understand completely, i asked mike on sunday how long he planned on doing this, and he seemed confident.. he has the building leased for 5 years, i know that doesnt mean anything, anyone can brake a contract. But he seems pretty serious, ask the florida guys, they seem to love him
Old 03-11-2010, 08:32 PM
10 Second Club

Well I totally agree with the above comments. I would love to have a tuner that I can return to as often as I choose and have my car tuned. I will be going to Mike Norriss as well, But with that said.... I have nothing against the "Tuner" in Kokomo. He did an awesome job on my car, and I couldn't be happier with it. However, there towards the end he just got tired of all the BS that came along with tuning on the side. I mean the guy had a full time job, going to school, has a family/kid, and tuned on the side... Thats alot of stuff to juggle around!!!
And in his defense, I could only imagine the stress he had to deal with when MANY people kept calling him and talking about their tunes being off and that he messed it up. GRANTED, He may need to tweak some guys' cars' BUT not everyones tunes' were off. Sometimes it's just the cars that have the issues and not the tune. But then again, towards the end, I heard about 4 or 5 cars that he tuned that were ALL VERY LEAN! Now maybe he didn't really care enough to do a good job, maybe his wideband was screwed up, or maybe the guys' that claimed this went smewhere and that places' wideband was off. Anyways, There is too many variables that play into it, and YES there were some people who had issues with their tunes. I was 1 of them. I had my brothers car tuned and it needed some more attention. AND "THE TUNER" took great care of me. I again, Have No Complaints. I wish he was still tuning and didn't have all the other stuff in his life going against him to prevent him from tuning. He's a great guy IMO, But just had too much on his plate and the tuning was getting to him, and he couldn't always get other stuff done when he needed to. Hell 1 example was when he tuned my car and a few others' he had to call in to work that night b/c he was in Indy and had spent from early morning til 1am to finish up everyones cars' And yet, nobody gives the guy credit when he does something like that.

I'm not trying to start any **** here, But in his defense, I feel there is 2 sides to every story, and IMO he just had too much going and the tuning got old to him and he made a wise decision by quiting the tuning.

But as they say, "Out with the old, and In with the new!" So welcome to Indy Mike Norris.

Thats Just my .02, Sorry if I offended anyone!

-James
Old 03-11-2010, 08:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Starting to wonder if Benny will even be standing on the podium at the IHP event.
You never know.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Launching!

i will be going to mike as well.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Hear say from other people is not worth didley, unless you have actual experience with this person it is only validated. Also their is usually a lot more to these storys of unhappy people. I know someone who is in the race service business and the people complaining the most of a problem were usually an **** person who couldn't be satisfied to begin with. How would you like to be a professional in your job and constantly here somebody talk about how it should be, because thats what they read on the internet. Or how many times the service is taken care of and the owner goes and swaps or adds a new part. The big one the owner goes to the track and gets a slow time and blames the guy that did the work. Not that truth is the owner doesn't have the skill to drive the car correctly. My friend did the same thing as chad, got tired of all the internet slamming of his product, got tired of people you can't satisfy, and got tired of realizing it wasn't fun anymore. He had a customer that was so peed off saying the engine was wrong and it was why he was in last place. That he flew to a national event on his own dime, took the a-holes car out ran the fastest time of the whole weekend. Got back in his rental car and went back home. The team owner called him and wanted him to tell them what the problem was. He said real racers don't watch a tach and redline in each shift, thats not driving the car.

I have heard opposite of your storys of chad, I have heard some of the biggest car builders in the country would fly him out all expenses paid.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:11 PM
TECH Addict

ive heard nothing but good of chad till now, and he took great car of me and shot the **** with me and friends answered all kinds of questions. he was hard to get a hold of but was going through some **** and had to step out, if he comes back believe ill be going back to him.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:11 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jrob56
ive heard nothing but good of chad till now, and he took great car of me and shot the **** with me and friends answered all kinds of questions. he was hard to get a hold of but was going through some **** and had to step out, if he comes back believe ill be going back to him.
+1
I was one of the ones that had an "issue"(lean) with my tune. And before I pinned it on the tuner, I made damn sure it wasn't something else. After changing the fuel pump, fuel filter, 02's and still having a lean condition then I contacted Chad, and he made it right. Now my cam only auto car puts down the same #'s as some heads cam 6 speeds cars.
I have seen some other tunes from an expensive shop($600+ dyno tune)
And all they did was adjust wot timing and fuel and made a decent idle. Nothing drivabilty wasn't touched and the car was not up to its full potential(h/c ran mid 12's).
Chad did a retune on the same car went out 2 weeks later and ran fast enough to get kicked out.
I would defiantly use Chad again if he started back up.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:23 AM
FormerVendor

Hey All,

Let me start by saying thanks to everyone who has come by or used my services so far as well as those that plan to. The kind words are always appreciated. I feel I need to put my 2 cents in here and take this info as you want.

Tuning is not a normal “everyday is the same” kind of profession. Some cars are little ladies and behave very well and some can be right out bitches at times. I do not care how long you have been doing this nor how well trained if at all; there is always something new to look at. I have been around a long time and always keep an open mind and open ear.

With that said, in my opinion it takes a proper setup and education to do this process properly. A dedicated EFI performance shop will most of the time will be your best bet. This is not to say that every EFI shop out there does a good job, because there are some places that just care about the bottom line. There definitely needs to be some investigation into a shop before dropping a car off to them for work as well as an understanding of what is expected and what the price is.

If a shop has a full facility with lifts, dyno, true wideband, insurance and proper licensing, that initially shows some dedication to the business. I am not a big fan of WOT street tuning as it is illegal and dangerous. If that is what you require, then the best bet is to go to the track to be safe and legal. If not doing this on the street makes me less of a man, so be it. I did a lot of stupid **** when I was young also, but I was also in the Fire Dept many moons ago and pulled way too many friends and other young people out of wrecked cars dead. So the dyno is my tool of choice for 95% of my tuning, be it idle, drivability and WOT.

For myself, I also have a bottom line to consider, but I am also a consumer and will treat folks as I would expect to be treated if I was paying. If I can not satisfy a person due to my lack of knowledge or capability, then I feel I can not charge them full price or at all in some cases. Some folks do have some unrealistic wants and goals at times, but these need to be addressed before any work is performed. I have a car in here now with an idle issue and if I cannot get it right, I will have someone else check it. If they get it good, I will pay them. If they cannot, then it is what it is.

Now there are some good non-professional tuners out there for sure. What I generally find to be an issue in this case is a lot of things mentioned here, and this is generally due to not being fully committed to the tuning business due to family, another job or lack of passion for it. In some cases these folks cannot take any criticism and unfortunately, that is just part of this business that will not go away. Criticism can be good and healthy if it helps you learn. If you are charging folks anything for tuning, even as a non-professional, bad is as much a part of it as the good and how you deal with it goes a long way.

With some of the re-tunes I have done, I have seen some issues and do what I do to fix them. In some cases I have gone back to a stock GM program and started from scratch. I will not say anything on any of the forums, but try to inform the customer of what I see and do and with that info they can do what they want. Again, I am not perfect either and can have a problem here and there for sure.

I have been very blessed and am very thankful for my following. I am always hearing folks say that they do not hear anything bad about me, but I am sure out there in the world there are those that I have disappointed in one way or another. Perhaps it is the way the situations were handled that makes things smooth. Again I just try to treat folks well and it seems to work so far. I cannot say that I will be here forever, as no one knows the future. But if I do close, it would be due to the economy or retiring before it would be due to customers being too big of a pain in the ***.

So if I can help some folks out, that is great. If there are other shops and tuners out there that can provide this service for folks and they are happy with them, which is cool. There is definitely a comfort factor that some folks have to have in this business for sure and who am I to argue that fact. I can only offer and ear and advice to start and where it goes from there is up to the customer.

Well, enough rambling from an old Irish mechanic, time to head downtown for the Hot Rod & Restoration Trade Show.

Have a good weekend all.

Mike Norris
Old 03-12-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ws98ta
+1
I was one of the ones that had an "issue"(lean) with my tune. And before I pinned it on the tuner, I made damn sure it wasn't something else. After changing the fuel pump, fuel filter, 02's and still having a lean condition then I contacted Chad, and he made it right. Now my cam only auto car puts down the same #'s as some heads cam 6 speeds cars.
I have seen some other tunes from an expensive shop($600+ dyno tune)
And all they did was adjust wot timing and fuel and made a decent idle. Nothing drivabilty wasn't touched and the car was not up to its full potential(h/c ran mid 12's).
Chad did a retune on the same car went out 2 weeks later and ran fast enough to get kicked out.
I would defiantly use Chad again if he started back up.
i had a lean condition, and asked the "tuner", he swore it was impossible for the car to be lean. Im ok with a mistake, its how you fix the mistake or deal with it, he flat out told me i dont even remember tuning the car yadda yadda. sure hes a good guy, i just dont think i would want him touching my car again, mike has been more than helpful and as far as i can see will have all my work
Old 03-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jrob56
x2 I had no issues with Chad either. He was really nice to me and the car has ran great.

I am penciled in for a tune with Mike on the 20th. If nothing else i am excited to only have to drive 20min instead of 2 hours
Old 03-12-2010, 12:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chadlee2KZ
x2 I had no issues with Chad either. He was really nice to me and the car has ran great.

I am penciled in for a tune with Mike on the 20th. If nothing else i am excited to only have to drive 20min instead of 2 hours
20 minutes from fairland?? lol

Quick Reply: Indy People....check-in and say hi!