Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

New IL Emissions Laws ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not all currency exchanges are up to date with the new system.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

FYI, I passed without issues. They were like "sounds good, what you do to it?" I was like "a little of this, a little of that." He was like "what exhaust is that?" Me: "Stock...right down to the tail pipes." It is true. I run the stock cat-back. Openned the cut-out as I left.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
First, to everyone, DO NOT PANIC!

There is no "new" test, just the timeframes have changed a bit.

Let me guess, your plates will need to be renewed in the next few months, correct?

You now must pass the emissions test prior to renewing your plates. The IL SOS will not allow you to renew the plates until you have passed. That's the "2005 emissions law". But the actual test that you take is the same; OBD scan ONLY. No visual, no sniffer.

I was shocked by this as well. I had just taken the test in my '96 Bonneville in the summer of 2006, then here comes another test notice in the late summer of '07, and I was like WTF? But it seems that emissions compliance is now tied to your eligibility for plates. Once you take this "extra" test, you should be back on track for 2 year testing intervals based on the Exp. date of your plate (every second year).

At least that's how the ILEPA explained it to me.
Yep, that's the new deal. I was also surprised by the new test notice. At least the tests are still easy to get around and for pre-OBDII it's even easier.

Quick Reply: New IL Emissions Laws ???