Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

New IL Emissions Laws ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 11:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New IL Emissions Laws ???

OK, I JUST tested last fall and passed and have a notice to test again this fall. WTF??? It says I have to pass the Vehicle Emissions Law of 2005 (Inspection Law). What does this mean? Are they going to actually look at the car instead of just scanning the PCM? Please someone shed some light.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:37 AM
TECH Resident

Take it on a day when they are busy. See what happens. If this is true, this kinda kills my idea of true duals with bullets.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:52 AM
11 Second Club

The car is stored for the season. I refuse to drive it till spring. Not to mention I have a vibration and want to figure that out before I drive it anyhow and just don't want to look at the car for a while.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:14 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

First, to everyone, DO NOT PANIC!

There is no "new" test, just the timeframes have changed a bit.

Let me guess, your plates will need to be renewed in the next few months, correct?

You now must pass the emissions test prior to renewing your plates. The IL SOS will not allow you to renew the plates until you have passed. That's the "2005 emissions law". But the actual test that you take is the same; OBD scan ONLY. No visual, no sniffer.

I was shocked by this as well. I had just taken the test in my '96 Bonneville in the summer of 2006, then here comes another test notice in the late summer of '07, and I was like WTF? But it seems that emissions compliance is now tied to your eligibility for plates. Once you take this "extra" test, you should be back on track for 2 year testing intervals based on the Exp. date of your plate (every second year).

At least that's how the ILEPA explained it to me.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
First, to everyone, DO NOT PANIC!

There is no "new" test, just the timeframes have changed a bit.

Let me guess, your plates will need to be renewed in the next few months, correct?

You now must pass the emissions test prior to renewing your plates. The IL SOS will not allow you to renew the plates until you have passed. That's the "2005 emissions law". But the actual test that you take is the same; OBD scan ONLY. No visual, no sniffer.

I was shocked by this as well. I had just taken the test in my '96 Bonneville in the summer of 2006, then here comes another test notice in the late summer of '07, and I was like WTF? But it seems that emissions compliance is now tied to your eligibility for plates. Once you take this "extra" test, you should be back on track for 2 year testing intervals based on the Exp. date of your plate (every second year).

At least that's how the ILEPA explained it to me.
Thats good. I don't think the emissions test places would like to see true duals with bullets dumped.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1_bad_TA
Thats good. I don't think the emissions test places would like to see true duals with bullets dumped.
I drove my '00 there with a .610 lift cam, on a 110 LSA, with bullets dumped off the collectors. It passed.

I just took my '99, with mufflers dumped off the headers as well, and it passed. I went there at 4pm and was the only person there. They didn't even ask me anything other than to get out of the car so they could plug the connector in.

No worries
Old 11-26-2007, 01:53 PM
9 Second Club

I took mine a few years ago with open headers and passed, all they do is scan it, so make sure you get rid of the codes
Old 11-26-2007, 01:57 PM
master of the "jack"stand

Originally Posted by 1_bad_TA
I took mine through and they liked the car, so I opened the cutout on the way out and the dudes were giving thumbs up.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

I am not woried about passing the scan, just inspection. Like I said, she passed last year and no changes have been made. I just thought they were adding inspection. I will just go in then. Not too far. I was going to cut the insurance this week but will have to wait till Sat I guess.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine took a total of about 5 minutes. The guy asked me to step out, didn't look under the car or anything, didn't say anything about loudness, if I had cats, nothing
Running True Duals off Kooks with no cats and no mufflers! end result passed,

As long as nothing pops up on the computer your good.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by somws6bird
Mine took a total of about 5 minutes. The guy asked me to step out, didn't look under the car or anything, didn't say anything about loudness, if I had cats, nothing
Running True Duals off Kooks with no cats and no mufflers! end result passed,

As long as nothing pops up on the computer your good.
Nicky is really smart!!!
Old 11-26-2007, 05:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

thank god we dont have emissions here in kankakee county. that would suck
Old 11-26-2007, 06:10 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Originally Posted by RippinZ121
thank god we dont have emissions here in kankakee county. that would suck
Not really. IL has VERY easy tests. CA.... now that's a place that sucks.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:00 PM
10 Second Club

Ya gotta love peoria county. They never have had emissions testing and i hope never will.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:31 AM
TECH Resident

My hometown is in mercer county and they've never had emissions, but my friend that still lives there told me a rumor they might start, hopefully it's just a scan though. In the military stationed in jersey so I get away with having IL plates and no emissions in jersey
Old 11-27-2007, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Matt D
I drove my '00 there with a .610 lift cam, on a 110 LSA, with bullets dumped off the collectors. It passed.

I just took my '99, with mufflers dumped off the headers as well, and it passed. I went there at 4pm and was the only person there. They didn't even ask me anything other than to get out of the car so they could plug the connector in.

No worries
No ****? I guess there will be no worries for what I have planned.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

Same goes for now that you need to show an insurance card to get your plate sticker. If you buy it at a currency exchange they require to see it or you dont get a sticker. They input your policy number and send it back to the state. No clue if you buy it downtown. Just bought mine and the wifes and I had to show it. The lady said its a new law.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robsls1
Same goes for now that you need to show an insurance card to get your plate sticker. If you buy it at a currency exchange they require to see it or you dont get a sticker. They input your policy number and send it back to the state. No clue if you buy it downtown. Just bought mine and the wifes and I had to show it. The lady said its a new law.
Same thing if you buy it online through cyberdriveillinois. You have to input your insurance info.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:40 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by robsls1
Interesting, how new is this law?

I bought a sticker for my work van and T/A last month at a currency exchange by me, and was never asked to see any of my insurance.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:14 AM
TECH Resident

I got plates for my truck on friday and they didn't ask.

Quick Reply: New IL Emissions Laws ???