Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Why GM of today is going down the drain...rant

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 05:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

listen to this deusch bag talk!!! Quite entertaing LMAO!!!! http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...tid=ga44507412
Old 02-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Launching!

I am an absolute GM die hard but I'm at total agreement with the op. What is Gm doing for us? I mean for real? Majority fwd cars that suck (imho), They did try with the over weight GTO, Not a bad car either but just a bit to bulky and didn't appeal to too many folks. Then whats with the Aztek? Come on Gm get real! Oh ya the Cobalt "ss" the Malibu max, and Malibu "ss" this is a total joke to most car jocks. As of right now we only have the tbss, Cts-V, XLR, and of coarse the Vette. As far as the latter at my age I'm not at a financial pont in my life where I can afford one (brand new). Now I'm not knocking Gm but lets look at the competition both Ford and Mopar. On to a more personal issue I'm looking at purchasing a new 4wd 1/2 ton p/u and in my opinion the new style Silverado is very unappealing. Yes the interior and drive-train is spectacular but to me it looks butt ugly (no offense),so that leaves me with either an 06 used one or different brand, (Tundra doesn't look much better) lol. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what Gm will do for us, oh ya (for laughs) Even Hyundai came out with a 375 hp rwd sedan (Genisis) Now we're in trouble.

end rant (again)
mario
Old 02-18-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

is the G8 REAR WHEEL DRIVE.???
Old 02-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
is the G8 REAR WHEEL DRIVE.???
G8 is rwd, but is it on the showroom floors yet? and it's still a bit to the pricey side too.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I work for GM and I am proud of the new products being produced. I don't agree with many of the decisions that have been made in the past, but things are going on the right track. I am still annoyed they got rid of the Caprice to increase P/U production. But, you have to go where the money is and it certainly wasn't in f-bodies when they discontinued them.

And Knightrider I feel will be a stupid short-lived network stunt (I haven't watched it, I'll be watching Mythbusters...)

The Camaro IMO was released too soon to the public. It takes years to release a new vehicle on an all new platform. Get everyone all excited and then make them wait years. It doesn't take that long to reskin an old platform or revise an existing.

GM has more going for it than the other domestics with the new Malibu, CTS, Outlook/Acadia/Enclave leading the pack. The new CTS coupe looks pretty wicked also. But there is a big enthusiast hole, which is why there is still an f-body in my garage.

Feel free to rant, good that people are still so passionate about GM!

Brian

Last edited by 00PewterSS; 02-18-2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

G8=another GTO "success"...in 4 door flavor.

GM makes good cars, their marketing sucks ***. Thats why i moved towards MotherMopar in 2006. She took me in giving me what I wanted....

Gm's last card is the Camaro.....and I feel another GTO "success" with this one too....

Yoda says..."Stinks GM does"
Old 02-18-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

GM... they are trend chasers and have been for years. just look at their history. dodge released the viper.. years later GM releases the ZR1. Plymouth releases the Prowler.. years later GM releases the SST. Dodge does the PT cruiser.. years later GM has the HHR. Ford does the retro mustang.. years later GM is doing the Camaro. Hell the FWD import scene was huge during the 1st F&F movie... years later GM releases the ricey Cobalt SS. Just too little too late.. chasing trends
Old 02-18-2008, 08:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by chaman
G8=another GTO "success"...in 4 door flavor.

GM makes good cars, their marketing sucks ***. Thats why i moved towards MotherMopar in 2006. She took me in giving me what I wanted....

Gm's last card is the Camaro.....and I feel another GTO "success" with this one too....

Yoda says..."Stinks GM does"
lol But what does marketing have to do with a product portfolio you don't like? Would you say Toyota sucks cause they don't have a car you want to buy?

I don't like the G8 either, but I have never been a fan of Pontiac styling.

Damn I gotta quit reading this post I could defend, but all very good arguments and everyone has an opinion...

Is there really a Star Wars VII coming out? My kid said his teacher told him that?

Brian
Old 02-18-2008, 10:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00PewterSS
lol But what does marketing have to do with a product portfolio you don't like? Would you say Toyota sucks cause they don't have a car you want to buy?

I don't like the G8 either, but I have never been a fan of Pontiac styling.

Damn I gotta quit reading this post I could defend, but all very good arguments and everyone has an opinion...

Is there really a Star Wars VII coming out? My kid said his teacher told him that?

Brian
From what I hear, it's going to be animated.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:08 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,774 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
GM... they are trend chasers and have been for years. just look at their history. dodge released the viper.. years later GM releases the ZR1. Plymouth releases the Prowler.. years later GM releases the SST. Dodge does the PT cruiser.. years later GM has the HHR. Ford does the retro mustang.. years later GM is doing the Camaro. Hell the FWD import scene was huge during the 1st F&F movie... years later GM releases the ricey Cobalt SS. Just too little too late.. chasing trends
Hold on just a second with that one.....

Much of what you posted here is correct. But not the ZR1 vs Viper. Dodge was the one doing the chasing with Viper. ZR1 was released in 1990 with a 375hp LT5 V8 and a 6-speed trans. Dodge didn't get the first production Vipers off the assmebly line until December of 1991. GM takes the win for being the 1st in the '90s domestic supercar race.

I agree that GM needs to stop chasing trends and start setting them again, like they did during their golden years. I wouldn't call the new Camaro compelely retro though, at least not to the degree that Mustang & Challenger are. Camaro seems to be a blend of new and old. This will likey be the trend that Ford takes with the next Mustang as well. Maybe GM will set the pace for the "next generation modern-retro" theme.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:58 AM
Launching!

^^^Very true but I'm kinda leary about the new Camaro being another GTO. After the craze wears off and the rice comes down to reality I'll base my decision and theory then but for now it's really hard to tell. To me thats the only thing Gm has up it's sleeve (Camaro V8). It's just kinda disappointing to see them with all these fwd cars and under powered wanna be performance cars (thus being Impala, Monte carlo, Cobalt). I would be thrilled to see a nice affordable rwd coupe or sedan thats a thrill to drive from Gm. I do like their trucks though (except the new gen Silverado and Sierra).
Old 02-19-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
With the new CTS, Malibu, and G8 being stylish (finally) and quality built I feel GM is on the right track. The new Camaro is a totally new car that shares nothing design wise to previous models. The challenger is able to be released quickly because its based off a platform that has already been developed, all they really needed to do was make a new body.
Thought the Camaro was a shortened Holden/G8???
Old 02-19-2008, 10:33 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by mariojmoe
G8 is rwd, but is it on the showroom floors yet? and it's still a bit to the pricey side too.
You mean the most powerful car available for under $30,000? $30k for a V8 RWD 360+hp car is far from pricey. Take a look at what new cars sticker for these days, nothing is cheap anymore. There are Civics and Cobalts in the mid $20s and that is where the base G8 is at.

As for the following trend thing, I agree. The HHR is the biggest example to me. AT least they didnt go with the "make it look bigger" style that a lot of trucks have now, with the high bed sides (Ford, Dodge, Toyota).
Old 02-19-2008, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mzoomora
You mean the most powerful car available for under $30,000? $30k for a V8 RWD 360+hp car is far from pricey. Take a look at what new cars sticker for these days, nothing is cheap anymore. There are Civics and Cobalts in the mid $20s and that is where the base G8 is at.

As for the following trend thing, I agree. The HHR is the biggest example to me. AT least they didnt go with the "make it look bigger" style that a lot of trucks have now, with the high bed sides (Ford, Dodge, Toyota).
Damn i was just gonna say something like that until i read your post. Personally i think that's an awesome deal, what do charger's go for nowadays? I know that the base Charger is cheaper than the base G8, which still puts out 260 hp (i think) for 28k. Not sure what the charger R/T and SRT-8 go for anymore, but i'm sure bang for the buck the 360 hp you're getting with the G8 for $30k is better!
Old 02-19-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Regular

The Charger RT starts at 31,500 or so. That's 340 hp. Don't really know the options available on the G8 and what exactly an equally optioned G8 would go for. But if the V8 version is really under $30K then that is a great deal. I haven't seen any price figures on the G8 and you got to figure that once the production car actually is for sale on dealer floors the prices that they give us now may and probably will change. I have a hard time believing that that car will actually be under $30K.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

how could you not like the new silverado?

Also GM is on its way up, especially w/ cadillac. But I don't know how it's going to go for them w/ the new CAFE. just when gm was getting out of the '80s/'90s they have to go back to them.

lol

All the domestics have garbage out, w/ the exception of the enthusiast cars. SRTs for Chrysler, Mustang's it for Ford, and gm w/ cadillac, camaro, vette.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:47 PM
Teching In

K, I gotta defend Gm here.... As far as the Knight Rider show/movie goes, GM did not have a choice with it.... It was sponsored by Ford who is just using it as an advertising ploy.... Crappy show, (my opinion much worse than the original series) but a great way to get all of your product out there.. The original Knight Rider was not sponsored by GM...... It's a totally different ballgame here....

GM's troubles of late have just made the delay in getting the cars on the market that much harder to do.... Because of the rise in healthcare costs and labor costs it has made them have to downsize the US market.... More cars are now on the market than ever before but they are having to lay off thousands of workers to regain any cost factors.... If you are continually battleing costs it's going to be plenty hard to make and develop cars faster.... Hence a delay in the Camaro coming out.... This ain't a good time to come out with a car that get less than the ideal fuel effeincy when you are trying to make your image of something more than appeals to the majority of people.... Let GM get the basics down first and let them start making money again with the large volume cars and trucks they need more market in... Impalas, Malibus, small cars and trucks, you know , the cars that outsell the Camaro 10 to one....... Once they have those down then they can focus on the "niche" vehicles.......

The Camaro will be out and it will be freakin awesome, but not everyone is going to want one.. And GM knows this.... But right now. GM has to focus on making quality cars that people want to buy, and want to buy RIGHT NOW! The Camaro is not that car... They are bleeding money right now and have to focus thier energy on making it back if they want any shot at remaining the greatest auto empire on earth.......
Old 02-20-2008, 06:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

I could stick up for G.M., but most stuff has been mentioned, but I have always been a GM purchaser. But as far as bang for the buck there are alot of rebates that never get mentioned. I was able to purchase my awd, 395hp Trailblazer SS for $27,5xx (1ss). Now the argument exists that there are rebates on cars that nobody wants, but this vehicle fits my two toddlers, luggage and pulls my boat, and run mid 13's in the 1/4. To me, quite a vehicle for the price. Even though it does suck the gas, the thousands I saved in the price of entry still makes it worth while. I am a bit excited about the G8, because I saw some Holden pictures/vidieo and the car had a trailer hitch.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:21 AM
Teching In

This is what I know ford or dodge can keep bringing out all there new sports cars, Because I will keep kickin there *** with my 2000 z28. Why spend 26,000 when you could spend 10,000 or less and get 90 or100 HP's more. This summer when I roll next to one I will turn look and smile and just walk it. It is fustrating not see any thing new from GM but a car that a lot of pepple can't aford like the ZR1.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Regular

Defending GM is ok, I'm all for that, die hard GM fan here. BUT, I am not really concerned with their need to fill the small/mid and truck market. I am concerned that when the Camaro finally comes out for sale it will be a dollar too much a year or two too late. The retro craze has come and will go soon, and a lot of the people that were all on board with the Camaro when it was first announced, are not going to be able to refuse buying one of the other options i.e. Challenger or Mustang. People can get tired of waiting for the promises of tomorrow's Camaro. GM put themselves in this position, sorry. If they are having money issues and due to that they cannot bring the Camaro to market on time, then maybe they should have just kept the F-cars around? Or maybe not totally bomb the Goat?