Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Why GM of today is going down the drain...rant

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why GM of today is going down the drain...rant

Inadvertently I am watching Knight Rider right now. I am a long time fan that has seen every episode of the real Knight Rider. I never planned on watching the new one seeing as how they are using a Mustang, but after a few minutes of the show and having been to the auto show last night I have to say that GM really dropped the ball here, in many respects.

How many years ago was the '09 Camaro idea introduced? Since then we have a well designed Mustang, and practically out of nowhere we have a Challenger that is IMO based on the actual production cars at the Auto Show, is an excellent exercise in design. But at the same auto show we still have the "imaginary" '09 or '10 or 'whatever Camaro. No progress just hopes and dreams.

The Challenger is practically sold out for the first year of production, Mustangs are having record sales, but GM is still promising something that we are not any closer to seeing. That pisses me off, the producers of the new Knight Rider were really given no choice by GM, GM gave them absolutely nothing to choose from for this show, so the result is that an American Classic TV show, a staple in the memories of many F-Body fans, is now being filmed with a car that has been considered the F-Body's biggest rival for many years! Thanks GM, just give that one up, along with giving up the whole pony car war to Ford by discontinuing the F-Body all together. Oh BTW I'm sure that Ford also appreciates all the municipal and taxi business they are getting due the demise of the B-body. That was another great idea.

Anyway, I am not concerned about the new show, and am not judging the show, but it should have been made with some sort of a Firebird like vehicle. But GM left us hanging, again!

I have been an avid supporter of GM since I was able to drive, like a colleague of mine says "Supporting GM since 1995" but GM is not supporting us back.

Good job to Dodge for the Charger and the Challenger, to Ford for a good outside design, but GM...I got nothing for ya guys.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

/end rant

you forgot that part
Old 02-17-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry,

BTW, good job with the advertising in the show, Ford, talking cars and SYNC, very good product placement.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Launching!

I thought I was the only one who thought this. I'm 28 (grew up watching Knight Rider as a kid) and I glanced at it for a few seconds on the screen and it kinda pissed me off to see a Mustang instead of a Gm product. Christ I thought even a GTO would have been nice to see but GM gave no other option I guess too. RPM Mark I totally agree with you 100% on everything you said Good Damn rant!
Old 02-17-2008, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

GM ia so freaking arrogant- they build wonderful products- My second car was a '67 Impala with a 283 and powerglide 2-speed. I took drive ed on a 71 Impala- I have owned Buicks, Olds 98 (big block, baby!) several Caprices and Impalas, inlcluding an LT1 equipped '95 that was replaced by my LS1 Camaro.
Several trucks, too- an El Camino, Ramcharger, Bronco II, and currently a Blazer. I want rwd, prefer a nice V-8. My next full size sedan will most likey be a Crown Vic or a Mercury, because GM doesn't build a car I car to drive- Oh, I'd love a ZO6, but couldn't carry my family or my dogs- I have driven several FWD cars, and prefer not to fight the steering wheel every time I punch it coming out of a tight 15 mph turn.

GM will eventually produce the Camaro, 3 years too late and several dollars too short. Gas is over 3 dollars a gallon, and the retro craze is yesterday's news.

GM's build quality has improved quite a bit, and they have always built great powertrains. But they don't listen to what the market wants, they think they are big enough to tell you what you can buy. They most likely will make same half-hearted attempt to build a too-expensive car for a couple years, then declare that the numbers don't justify continuing the model. Too bad. They gave away the fleet municipal market 10 years ago, and still insist that a Z51 truck is a pursuit-capable vehicle. Or you can buy the FWD Impala, nice roomy car, just can't do a donut or a powerslide in it.

I keep hoping GM will build cars for me, but I doubt it at this point. Geez, I can buy a 4-door v-8 powered RWD Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Nissan/Infinity, but not GM- I think they are a really good engineering company that is run not even by bean-counters, but by marketing analysts and product placement gurus-

Looks like I will be keeping the Z for a long time. I actually have a friend who bought a wrecked 2002 Z28 and put the whole powertrain in a '95 Caprice, something GM should have done.

oh, yeah..../rant mode OFF
Old 02-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

thats it i'm selling my gm's
Old 02-17-2008, 10:53 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy ford today. Do it, do it, yeah do it!
Old 02-17-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
Buy ford today. Do it, do it, yeah do it!
hahahahaa......
Old 02-17-2008, 11:39 PM
On The Tree

I'm with you that GM is going down the drain, but i think they're gonna win big with the G8. I too was at the chicago auto show, and that G8 was simply stunning. I think i went back and looked at it about 5 different occasions, and 360 hp and 385 torque for $30,000! i think that's gonna be a good seller, wish i had $30,000
Old 02-18-2008, 12:26 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

With the new CTS, Malibu, and G8 being stylish (finally) and quality built I feel GM is on the right track. The new Camaro is a totally new car that shares nothing design wise to previous models. The challenger is able to be released quickly because its based off a platform that has already been developed, all they really needed to do was make a new body.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The G8 will be a great car. Even Top Gear said so, and he is VERY critical of every car he drives. I think my next NEW car when I get myself a family will be a G8.

Ford is doing a VERY good job of appealing to the public.

Cadillac is looking also very promising. One of the most impressive displays at the Auto Show.

Audi is also a great car, they are up and coming FAST.

I think GM will be better in a couple years. Give it time. Just wait to see what happens when new emissions constraints come out.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:48 AM
11 Second Club

Hard to say, but I will say this. After watching the show, I feel that they chose the right vehicle. The GT500 is the most aggressively styled car available right now. What other choice was there? A Z06? that car is more Sexy than aggressive. With whats available today, it was the correct choice.

Worst part of the show was the Hoff cameo at the end. Could of done without that.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:49 AM
TECH Regular

I agree that Cadillac has got a great lineup right now, I spent quite some time at their display and love the styling and the feel of those cars, looks like Caddy has a promising future. I am a die-hard Pontiac fan, but I have to say that the G8 is not really striking me like I had hoped it would. I would rather spend my $$ on a Charger. Granted, I haven't driven a G8 or really seen it all that much since it's not out yet, but I have driven the Charger RT and that car really does it for me. I guess I just haven't gotten the feeling out of my head that the G8 still kinda looks like every other GM sedan made in the past few years, meaning a V6 and FWD. That's just what it kinda looks like to me, like I said I haven't seen the car except at the auto show and maybe it'll grow on me, but while we were standing at the G8 display, I was waiting to go to the Dodge display.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:10 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,695 Likes on 1,214 Posts

I was at the NAIAS @ Chicago with RPM Mark..... and it was VERY clear how eager he was to get to the Dodge display, no doubt! I think he was actually running as we left the G8 display...I had to carry my wife, she just couldn't keep up with his speed.

Actually I was completely unimpressed with the G8 interior. It's a great looking car on the outside...really caught my eye; but my Camaros have nicer interiors. Sorry, I know many people think 4th gen F-car interiors suck, but they feel/look nicer to me than what I saw in the G8 (and yes, I sat in the car, played with the controls, etc.). The Buick LaCrosse Super has a much nicer interior than the G8, and it’s a similar price with a V8 as well. Too bad the LaCrosse is still wrong wheel drive though.

I really like the Challenger, it’s a great looking car inside and out. I wish it was a few thousand less, but otherwise it’s something I’d be happy to own. We spent some time on the Mustangs too, that was the first time I’ve sat in a ‘05+ GT with a manual trans. Shifter location is still just as bad as it was in 1986. Not sure why Ford won’t fix that. Not that I care though, I’m an auto-only type of guy anyway. Also, it’s too bad that Mustang GT is still so underpowered.

I agree that GM really screwed us over by ditching the F-bodies and B-bodies. I thought it was great to walk by the Lincoln/Mercury display and still see Town Cars and Grand Marquis. I’d love to still see a Caprice/RWD Impala from GM.

I do have one thing to say in GM’s defense though. They really held the affordable performance torch high with the F-bodies. Where was Ford at in the ‘90s? They gave us a 225hp Mustang GT. GM responded with a 275hp Z28. Then we got a 260hp Mustang GT, and GM gave us a 305hp (rated)/345hp (actual) Z28. Talk about knocking the competition clear off the map performance wise. And where was Dodge in all of this? They rolled over and died during the ‘80s, and the only decent thing they gave us (performance wise) in the ‘90s was Viper. I agree 100% that Dodge is on the right track today; Charger, Challenger; both excellent cars that I’d be proud to own. But damn, Dodge spent more than 2 decades letting most of the enthusiast crowd down, while GM still gave us the F-bodies.

Guess what I’m trying to say is, I support GM for what the were, and what they *hopefully* will be again. But I agree that they suck for leaving RWD and V8s out of the picture in so many cars for so long. I really hope the Camaro is something great when it’s done. I want GM to sell me a brand new car that I can be proud of.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 02-18-2008 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I really hope the Camaro is something great when it’s done. I want GM to sell me a brand new car that I can be proud of.
I agree ...

Granted I've been a fan of Audi and just love what they have been producing in the recent years. Would love to get my hands on a RS4 or the new S5.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
With the new CTS, Malibu, and G8 being stylish (finally) and quality built I feel GM is on the right track.
Yep. They're finally on the right track...

...And no one is even noticing.

I agree with the OP. Thanks a lot, GM. You gave us Transformers but no car. Ford gave its fans the Mustang and now KITT.

BTW, they should have another episode where the KITT Mustang faces off against the Challenger. I'd say the Camaro, but, oh yeah, there is no Camaro right now. And, when it does come out, the way things are looking with CAFE, it's not going to be the top dog like the Fourth Gen was.

But, hey, it's going to be "Stylish and fun to drive!"

I'm a die-hard GM ONLY fan, but It's getting harder and harder to fight the good fight, and GM is doing NOTHING to make it any easier. Now, I know what Ford fans felt like when the LS1 hit the streets. They **** up Camaro, CAFE or not, and my garage will be open to any good Mustang or Challenger. Not saying they will, just saying "if."
Old 02-18-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Moparnos (The SLP Guy)
thats it i'm selling my gm's
Will you sell me that SECKSY black, turbo Z riding on the iForge bling while you're at it?
Old 02-18-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Regular

I was at the NAIAS @ Chicago with RPM Mark..... and it was VERY clear how eager he was to get to the Dodge display, no doubt! I think he was actually running as we left the G8 display...I had to carry my wife, she just couldn't keep up with his speed.
Funny **** there. It's true, the Poncho display really did nothing for me. The
G6 is a nice car, but the GXP "Street" version...WTF was that? The G8 was unimpressive, and what else was there? I don't even remember.

I
want GM to sell me a brand new car that I can be proud of.
Totally agree! Brand loyalty and company pride is something that I take very seriously, I'd love to be proud of what my chosen automaker is offering me. But right now, with the exception of a few cars, they are just telling me what they think I should like. Sorry, it doesn't work like that for me. Mutual respect has to go both ways.
Mark
Old 02-18-2008, 01:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RPM Mark
Totally agree! Brand loyalty and company pride is something that I take very seriously, I'd love to be proud of what my chosen automaker is offering me. But right now, with the exception of a few cars, they are just telling me what they think I should like. Sorry, it doesn't work like that for me. Mutual respect has to go both ways.
Mark
I agree 100%.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:01 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Dang who made that APS sig pic for you. That's my 2004 Halloween pic.