Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Bringing the Car out of Hibernation

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bringing the Car out of Hibernation

I've been thinking about starting the car up and driving it around the block to get the fluids moving and then start cleaning it out for spring since we are getting some "nice" days here and there. I'm not going to drive it until all the snow melts and we get a nice rain to take care of the snow and sand they poured on the streets but I would like to get it started.
I haven't driven the car since last September and the only thing I'm worried about is the oil. I know I need to change it but will everything still be lubricated enough where I can just charge the battery and start the car or do I need to try to get the oil through the engine again?
Old 03-06-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would think it would be fine since your not going on a road trip or anything. I need to do the same to mine im going to try and get it to the place where im doing my header install so I pray to god we get a few nice days to melt the snow and also for a good downpour since we have a ton of sand/salt mix on the roads. Some of the roads are still white it seems from the salt. This year im making sure they are extra cleaned since I just had the car detailed/waxed and then i put it away a few days later its still very clean so im hoping it will remain like that. Probably the real first time it comes out will be speeds open house unless we get killer weather before that. I need to do the header install,change the trans fluid and motor oil and probaby plugs and wires and it should be good to go for the year. I think you will be fine with the oil but im no expert so il wait for a few guys to chime in and give there opinion
Old 03-06-2008, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Well I really want to get it out and stretch it's legs before Speed's open house. I just don't like to go on a long drive before I have had the car out for awhile just to make sure everything is ok.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:12 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Well, you can't prime the oil pump on these cars like the old school stuff that had a distributor. Guess you could pull power to the ignition and injectors, and crank the engine for a bit to move some oil around.

I don't like leaving a fully assembled engine sit for 5-6 months with the rings sitting on the same spot of the cylinder walls. Everyone has their onw method though, but I always run mine about once a month. I've still got the 100% stock 10 year old engine that burns ZERO oil, and shows no moisture buildup on the oil fill cap after the winter, so I'm confident about my proceedure. Just have to make sure to run the engine long enough, and with a bit of load, to bring the fluids up to temp. I also heat the garage up to about 40* before I fire the engine while in storage.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im going to get mine rolling also since I dont want speeds open house to be the first long drive I take either since I know il jump on it atleast a few times so I need to put some miles on her before I actually take it out for a whole day a long way from home. RPMWS6 im going to try your method next winter. My car also burns zero oil unless im jumping on it alot but if I dont it doesnt burn hardly any nor leak but I do get a tiny bit of moisture but hardly any. I started mine about a month ago just for a few quick secs since I was running late but I thought I had a starter problem so I fired it and it fired right up so hopfully I will have zero issues when I first take it out but who knows. That first start like project is talking about always scares me and im quick to shut it off incase I hear a funny noise im always ready to pull the keys

Lets hope we both and none of us have any bad issues coming out of storage
Old 03-06-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

haha, I'm just hoping my car is off jackstands by spring.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:20 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Luna
haha, I'm just hoping my car is off jackstands by spring.
I hear ya there.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:21 AM
11 Second Club

Off the stands here, and sitting out in the snow. Fn weather.
Old 03-08-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chad i am in the same boat as you.. I have not driven my car since Oct..... But i have the same conern that you have for you oil. What i am going to do is pull the fuel pump fuse, crank the car for about 10 seconds and that should prime all the oil and get it moved to the top half of the motor...

Man i can not wait for the weather to break, get a nice rain then the car can come out
Old 03-08-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Chad i am in the same boat as you.. I have not driven my car since Oct..... Man i can not wait for the weather to break, get a nice rain then the car can come out
I agree. Then the Formula, errr, Firebird, can stretch her wings.

Quick Reply: Bringing the Car out of Hibernation