Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

where to start with a bike in chi town

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 01:04 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro Ryder KV
awesome matt! i seen them last week i think, dsanchez and the does the black ta have the higher ws6 hood?
Yeah. The hood has it's own zip code. He rents it out on the weekends for college kids that are back in town visiting family and friends. Just a nice little two bedroom, one bath.
Old 07-30-2008, 05:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that you could have a 1000 and not kill yourself, but honestly its just easier to deal with a smaller bike while getting used to it. I used to have a gixxer 600 and now I have an R1, but honestly I don't need the R1 at all. I just like the way it looks/feels so I bought it. The other thing about bigger bikes is that especially for younger guys, it costs wwwaayyy more to insure. My R1 would be about 2600 a year to insure if it weren't on my parents policy and I am 22 with a clean record. My 600 cost me about half of what the R1 does in insurance.

As far as which to get, go to a dealer that carries all of them if possible and sit on all the different models. See what you think feels most comfortable and would feel best after an hour or 2 of constantly sitting like that. That will help you decide. Other than that, they are pretty much all comparable. If you are looking used, I would get 02 and newer so it is probably fuel injected.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Matt D
How can you not comapre them? Both COULD be deadily in the wrong situation.

For example:

A kid gets a LS1 as his first car. He is doing a holeshot, ***** out pass down a street to look cool in front of the girls and his buddies. Car pulls out of an alley or side street, and he clips it. He kills the other driver and himself.

A kid gets a Busa as his first bike. He is doing a holeshot, ***** out pass down a street to look cool in front of the girls and his buddies. Car pulls out of an alley or side street, and he clips it. He kills the other driver and himself.

Or, he could have bought either, rode/drove smart, and never felt the need to show off and never had an accident. He is alive to enjoy his toy.

How do they differ?

A guy could do EXACTLY the same thing in a 3800 f-bod or on a HAWLEY Dyna or in his CAMARO for that matter.... Car pulls out... same ending.

Ok. IMHO ANYTIME I GET ON A BIKE it's to ride like an *******. Always has been. If I don't go at least 100 once I ain't goin'.

The big bore bikes are like a drug... I always want to pull just one more gear... (Then another... and so on) and BANG you're goin' a buck85...Holy **** is THAT cool...

The new 600's are solid 10 sec bikes but they HAVE NO bottom end grunt to get you in trouble in a half block like a 1k+ bike.

They're all too fast for a newbie.

My suggestion is a large bore enduro... They wheelie forever (and are forgiving at the balance point)... if you come into a corner too hot straighten it up and ride it out...

And It probably won't kill you unless you REALLY TRY HARD... Nothing happens with the urgency of a rocket.

I still have the 1988 Honda XR600 I bought brand new. It is a true off-road bike without a battery that I have titled and plated.

I also still have an old dinosaur rocket.

And EVERY time I ride either one I ride like an *******. (The XR only goes 92 on GPS though)

TRUTH.

Ps. I don't live in the city.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:49 PM
11 Second Club

And maybe one day we will be lucky enough to scrap you off someones bumper.

I never said your not gonna kill yourself on one or another. But personally I had several friends jump on bikes that were too "BIG" for them be it a rocket or a hog, and 2 are now dead, and the other travels everywhere by blowing in a straw... Get what your comfortable on, and get used to the bike. Plain and simple. If I were you I would get into a used bike, then when your sure your gonna be into it, and ready step up to something new and/or bigger do it. That way if you lay it down, or just not get into it, your not wasting all that cash on depreciation and repairs... Just my 2 cents.