Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

where to start with a bike in chi town

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 01:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default where to start with a bike in chi town

hey guys,

i have been thinking about gettin a bike for some time now, but i have no idea where to start pickin out models, places to go or anything.

so far im likin the kawasaki zz600, yamaha yzf-R1 and the suzuki hayabusa

little help please???

Last edited by Camaro Ryder KV; 07-29-2008 at 01:42 AM.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:15 AM
On The Tree

id start looking online, then eventually that will lead you to some dealers.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:49 AM
11 Second Club

The ZX-10R would be a nice first bike. I honestly have no idea...I'm thinking about getting one also.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:19 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yamaha R6. My buddy just got one, beautiful bike with good power.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is this your first bike?

if so There is no need for you to get a hayabusa or a R1 or especially a zx10!

if its not how long have u been riding?
Old 07-29-2008, 07:35 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by litle88
is this your first bike?

if so There is no need for you to get a hayabusa or a R1 or especially a zx10!

if its not how long have u been riding?
Ahhhh starting on an R1 isnt tooo bad

Just watch yourself on a bigger bike. There's a reason me and matt stretched and lowered ours. Wheelies over 100 with just hitting the gas reallly arent as fun as you'd think
Old 07-29-2008, 08:10 AM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro Ryder KV
hey guys,

i have been thinking about gettin a bike for some time now, but i have no idea where to start pickin out models, places to go or anything.

so far im likin the kawasaki zz600, yamaha yzf-R1 and the suzuki hayabusa

little help please???
First off, a lot of guys will tell you not to get a big bike (1,000cc or bigger) as your first bike because you will kill yourself. That isn't always the case. Get the bike you want. Just don't start off riding like an ******* and think you are a pro rider and invincible. Respect the bike and it's power, and you will learn what you can and can't do. If you have NEVER ridden a bike or have minimal experience other than riding your neighbor's 86 Honda 80cc Enduro that the 8th grader across the street gets wet panties over, and you're afraid to tag it because of the legal ramifications, I suggest taking a motorcycle course at your local Junior College, or take a buddy and his bike out in the country and have him show you the ropes. The more you ride and practice, the better you will become. Always pay attention to the road and crossroads and intersections. 45 year old moms talking on the cell phone while yelling at her three brat kids in the back of her minivan could give a flying **** about you and will never see you because she is day dreaming about the pool boy and is wondering why she is wasting her time with her impotent husband who is banging his secretary anyway because she has no other way to pay for her $130,000 student loan bills and it is a step up from the pencil dicked frat guys that she is used to.

Next, you need a bike of your own. Stay away from Chicago Cycle in Lincolnwood unless you like paying $2,500 over book and are a ******* idiot. If you want to finance and/or go through a dealer, I suggest ProSource Motorsports in Morris (where my R1 came from) or Banzai Motorsports in Crystal Lake. Just like with cars, better deals can be had from private sellers, but you need to be cautious about people. I suggest bringing a buddy who knows bikes along with to go over the bike and point out the flaws, even if you get it from a dealer.

Bikes I recommend:

Yamaha YZF-R1
Suzuki GSX-R 1000 or 1300 Hyabusa
Kawasaki ZX-10, ZX-12, or ZX-14

Let me know if you have any questions, I'm always willing to lend a helping hand.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:52 AM
11 Second Club

Way to go, lets just put someone who wants a first bike on the most powerfull ones. Hope your organ doner is up to date.

What I agree with, take a riders coarse if your not familiar with riding. Your gonna wait for the cheap ones, but there are some good ones that cost a bit, but they are def. worth it.

Take your time, and pick something your comfortable on. Just because a bike has alot more cc's doesnt make it better.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by twizted_creations
Take your time, and pick something your comfortable on. Just because a bike has alot more cc's doesnt make it better.
It also doesn't mean he is going to hurt or kill himself. I have SEVERAL friends who have had Busas and 1,000s as their first bike without any issues. Do you say the same to people who want a LS1 as their first vehicle? Do you tell them to get a Cavalier first?
Old 07-29-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

First figure out what kind of bike you want, go on different bike forums and read reviews of all the bikes. Are you going to buy used or buy brand new? Figure out which one will suit you best. The new gixxer 1k's have settings on them for 1000cc 750cc and 600cc which is nice for a n00b rider because you can ride on the lower setting to get used to it and gradually work your way up.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:00 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by NBM2001z28
Ahhhh starting on an R1 isnt tooo bad
Just watch yourself on a bigger bike. There's a reason me and matt stretched and lowered ours. Wheelies over 100 with just hitting the gas reallly arent as fun as you'd think
Stretching a bike changes EVERYTHING about the ride on the bike! What good is having a sportbike if you cant turn as good. This is not always the answer. Only if you are going to be going to the 1/4 mile track often. Not if you wanna primarily use it to go to work or enjoy a ride.

Originally Posted by Matt D
First off, a lot of guys will tell you not to get a big bike (1,000cc or bigger) as your first bike because you will kill yourself. Just don't start off riding like an ******* and think you are a pro rider and invincible. Respect the bike and it's power. If you have NEVER ridden a bike or have minimal experience other than riding your neighbor's 86 Honda 80cc Enduro that the 8th grader across the street gets wet panties over, and you're afraid to tag it because of the legal ramifications, I suggest taking a motorcycle course at your local Junior College.
The course offered by motorcycle foundation is a must in my opinion you'll even get a discount in insurance and get a certificate to just go to the Secretary of state and get your license, if you attended that class. Forget the country cause you'll never go, too much time consumption.

Most guys will tell you to get what you want, not the case. FirstYou need to go to the showrooms and sit on them. All of them have different riding positions. For example, I'm 6'1" and weight 225 and have always liked the GSXR's position with the longer reach and slightly higher foot pegs, the R1's have a shorter reach and I feel crammed in there. Take a friend and have him hold the bike upright or ask the sales man for assistance.
I rode sport bikes since 1994-2007, I wasn't just a guy who would go put putting around town. I went to black hawk road course and the road course track by rt66 I forget the tracks name. There is NOTHING WRONG WITH GETTING A 600, the new 1000's have nearly 160-170+ HP on a bike that weights 360-400 LBS.!! The 600's have 130hp and weigh a little less.
I would say get a used 600, that way if you want to walkaway from riding you wont get stuck with a bike payment.

Also the most important 2 things, you need an M-class on your DL and ask your insurance agent how much it is gonna cost you to ride! Just ask NBM2001z28.

Whatever you do always wear a helmet, gloves and a leather jacket. THE ROAD IS A CHEESE GRATER AT ANY SPEED.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:03 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Matt D
It also doesn't mean he is going to hurt or kill himself. I have SEVERAL friends who have had Busas and 1,000s as their first bike without any issues. Do you say the same to people who want a LS1 as their first vehicle? Do you tell them to get a Cavalier first?
Cant compare them MATT!

WAy different, I would recommend a v6 Fbody to a kid who just got his license! and so would you.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow, thanks guys, i didn't think i would get this many replies. And to ur questions, i have never ridin a bike, and either have any of my friends.

Last night when i typed in those bikes, i didn't look at the tech specs, i looked at the bike itself and i liked they way they looked.

As for the cc, obviously the more cc's the more power, but how much is too little and how much is too much (like compition or racing)

i mean, im not going to be going to the track with this, just a cruiser when the weather is nice, to save gas and leave the camaro at home.

thanks guys
Old 07-29-2008, 12:02 PM
Retired Street Racer

Originally Posted by litle88
Cant compare them MATT!

WAy different, I would recommend a v6 Fbody to a kid who just got his license! and so would you.
How can you not comapre them? Both COULD be deadily in the wrong situation.

For example:

A kid gets a LS1 as his first car. He is doing a holeshot, ***** out pass down a street to look cool in front of the girls and his buddies. Car pulls out of an alley or side street, and he clips it. He kills the other driver and himself.

A kid gets a Busa as his first bike. He is doing a holeshot, ***** out pass down a street to look cool in front of the girls and his buddies. Car pulls out of an alley or side street, and he clips it. He kills the other driver and himself.

Or, he could have bought either, rode/drove smart, and never felt the need to show off and never had an accident. He is alive to enjoy his toy.

How do they differ?
Old 07-29-2008, 12:09 PM
Retired Street Racer

i mean, im not going to be going to the track with this, just a cruiser when the weather is nice, to save gas and leave the camaro at home.

thanks guys
That's what we needed. That makes it simple.

Take a look at the 97-07 Yamaha YZF600Rs. Nice looking bike, sporty, has a decent powerband, and gets 60mpg. You can't beat that.

600s will get about 50-60mpg. 1000s will get about 35-45mpg. They have Ninja 250cc-500cc that get upwards of 70-80mpg, but honestly, those bikes are ugly and are not exactly manly bikes.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

matt, u going to any shows in the future, like steak and shake or something? maybe u could show me ur bike
Old 07-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Retired Street Racer

matt, u going to any shows in the future, like steak and shake or something? maybe u could show me ur bike
I might be at the Frankfort Show this Thursday for a little bit, then I am on vacation until next week. I will try and make the S&S/Applebees show next Friday in Tinley.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

i am always at the frankfurt one at about 5-530 till about 630 and the tinley one is a crapshoot, i think i am working this friday
Old 07-29-2008, 12:19 PM
Retired Street Racer

i am always at the frankfurt one at about 5-530 till about 630 and the tinley one is a crapshoot, i think i am working this friday
I always go up there with Bill (black TA on Holeshots, cammin like a mother ******) and his old lady with the white Camaro on black Z06 rims. If you see me, stop by and I'll let you sit on the bike. It is lowered 2" and stetched 7", sitting on a drag radial.

Old 07-29-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

awesome matt! i seen them last week i think, dsanchez and the does the black ta have the higher ws6 hood?