Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

OJT..Recent Veterans Read!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 10:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is this only for OIF and OEF veterans? i had a Sgt get out after 8 years and she never deployed but the money would definitely help her.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cookba
is this only for OIF and OEF veterans? i had a Sgt get out after 8 years and she never deployed but the money would definitely help her.
Nope it is for all recent veterans it think 10 years or less discharged. tomorrow for sure I will have some info emailed to me or just rewrite the discussion! I guess i'm not the only one who has never heard of this??
They should of told everyone about this in TAPS, but I guess the government didn't want to give up extra money.

Like I said before I have had a few friends do this and I am doing it! It is verifed through the VA so it is legit!
Old 11-11-2008, 11:22 PM
On The Tree

I see we got moved and I didn't even know that this club existed!!! Anyways here is what the website has on it and that is not nearly enough info! The OJT section is only applying to the Trades of a Apprenticeship. My buddy got his either working at the Prison or at freaking DHL! The only trading he did was trading lunches lol! It all depends if your company is enrolled in it and if they are not you can get them to. I will have exact info coming from the VA regional manager tomorrow! Updates tomorrow!

Education Programs

The various GI Bills are available for many different types of Education Programs. Here is a detailed listing of the programs available.

IHL (Institutions of Higher Learning)
NCD (Non-College Degree Programs)
On-the-Job & Apprenticeship Training
Flight Training
Independent Training, Distance Learning, & Internet Training
Correspondence Training
National Testing Program
Licensing & Certification
Entrepreneurship Training
Work-Study Program
Co-op Training
Accelerated Payment
Tuition Assistance Top-Up
Tutorial Assistance Program
IHL (Institutions of Higher Learning)

The GI Bill is available for attendance at IHLs such as:

Four Year Universities
Community Colleges
Advanced Degrees
Payment is based on the number of classes you attend:

12 hours or more - fulltime
9 - 11 hours - ľ time
6 - 8 hours - ˝ time
less than 6 hours - reimbursed at a rate not to exceed the tuition & fees charged for the course(s).
For graduate level training, the training time is determined by the college - for example, if a 2 hour class is considered full time in a graduate program at your school, the VA will pay you the full time rate. For current payment rates see HERE.

The GI Bill will allow you to attend more than one college at a time, as long as the classes at both institutions count towards your degree, and the school granting your degree accepts the classes at the second school as part of your requirements. However, the GI Bill will not pay you to take the same classes twice unless you receive a failing grade in a class that is a graduation requirement.

The GI Bill can pay you for more than one degree, for example: it will pay you for a degree in Business and then for a second degree in Computer Science, or for an AA, BA, MA in the same field. Once you have a degree, you could pursue another one provided you have remaining entitlement on your GI Bill.

Payments are issued monthly in arrears (for example - you receive the November payment in December.)

NCD (Non-College-Degree) Training

The GI Bill is available for training at Non-College-Degree Institutions, examples of this type of training are diploma vocational schools such as:

HVAC Certification
Truck Driving
EMT Certification
Barber/Beautician School
The monthly entitlement is based on the number of clock hours you attend training during each week of the month.

Payments are issued monthly in arrears (for example - you receive the November payment in December.)

On-the-Job or Apprenticeship Training

The GI Bill is available for On-the-Job or Apprenticeship Training. Examples of this type of training are:

Union Plumber
Hotel Management
Firefighter
VA will reimburse you at the following rate:

85% of the full-time GI Bill rate for the 1st six months
65% of the full-time GI Bill rate for the 2nd six months
45% of the full-time GI Bill rate for the remainder of the training program
Effective January 1, 2008 the rates will change to the following:

75% of the full-time GI Bill rate for the 1st six months
55% of the full-time GI Bill rate for the 2nd six months
35% of the full-time GI Bill rate for the remainder of the training program
You may also receive a salary from your employer during the training.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:07 PM
On The Tree

Here is the email that the VA Northeast Represenative sent to me with all of the information. If you need the APPRENTICESHIP/ON-THE-JOB TRAINING AGREEMENT for your employer PM me and I can attach it for you through an email.

You may be eligible to receive a monthly GI Bill benefit check from the federal Department of Veterans Affairs.

What is On-the-Job Training?

On-the-Job Training (OJT) is training you receive while actually performing a job and earning wages, as well as receiving your G.I. Bill benefits. OJT programs normally range from six months to two years in length. Some examples of currently approved OJT programs are: Welder, Painter, Cook, Pressman, and Auto Mechanic.

What is Apprenticeship Training?

Apprenticeship training is on-the-job training coupled with theoretical related instruction. You receive your G.I. Bill benefits while working full time and earning wages. Apprenticeship programs are normally from two to five years in length. Registration with the Pennsylvania Apprenticeship and Training Council is not mandatory for veterans benefits; however, it is recommended in order for the veteran to receive journeyman’s papers upon successful completion. Some examples of currently approved apprenticeship programs are: Carpenter, Electrician, Brick Layer, Asbestos Worker, Plumber, Iron Worker, Corrections Officer, Machinist, and Maintenance Mechanic.

The jobs listed above are only a sample of the many jobs that can be approved for veterans benefits.

Time Limits

As a general rule, veterans have ten (10) years after their separation from the service or ten (10) years from the date of eligibility for National Guard and Reservists, to use their G.I. Bill benefits. Contact the Department of Veterans Affairs to determine eligibility.

How to Begin

1. If you do not have a job, or if you are not working in the occupation you want, contact your local Pennsylvania CareerLink. The Veterans Employment Representative should be able to find an employer who can offer the kind of training you need to reach your occupational goal.

2. Next, either you or your employer should contact the State Approving Agency so that the necessary steps can be taken to approve the training program. Keep in mind that not all occupations can be approved. Please contact the State Approving Agency for more information.

3. Contact the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) to determine your eligibility and to obtain the necessary application forms.

Licensure & Certificate Tests

Effective March 1, 2001, G.I. Bill benefits may be used for reimbursement of licensure or certification exams that are either required or generally accepted by the industry to enter into, advance, or maintain employment. Contact the VA or the State Approving Agency for details and additional information.

BENEFITS TO EMPLOYERS

Veterans who have worked in technically oriented military occupations are better prepared for civilian technical training.

Veterans have demonstrated the aptitude to be trained in a structured environment.

Veterans have developed a work ethic that enables them to report for work on time and in the proper frame of mind.

Veterans tend to be more mature, self-confident, and drug-free employees.

Veterans who receive G. I. Bill assistance will work toward a training objective and make satisfactory progress to receive continued benefits.

Veterans possess higher education and training achievements.

Veterans receive the same prevailing wage as other employees in the same position. Scheduled pay increases develop employee loyalty.

Veterans possess work traits, such as adapting to physical demands, following safety guidelines, working under pressure, and setting priorities.

Employer record-keeping is minimal.

Who to contact for assistance:

If you have questions concerning your eligibility for benefits, contact Veterans Affairs. Mailing Address:

VA Regional Office
P O Box 4616
Buffalo, NY 14240-4616

Call Toll-Free: 1-888-442-4551
Web Site: www.gibill.va.gov

Claims are processed at:
VA Regional Office, PO Box 21,
Buffalo, NY 14240-0021.

Contact the Pennsylvania State Approving Agency below with questions concerning program approval.

PA Department of Education
Div. of Veterans/Military Education
333 Market St., 12th Floor
Harrisburg, PA 17126-0333
(717) 787-2414

Room 1007, State Office Building
Broad & Spring Garden Street
Philadelphia, PA 19130
(215) 560-2509

Room 1202, State Office Building
300 Liberty Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
(412) 565-5364

E-mail: RA-VetEd@state.pa.us

Publication Date: 7/08

Monthly Benefit for Training Program**:

Chapter 30—Service after July 1, 1985, and contributed to Montgomery G. I. Bill.
3 years of service
First 6 months $990.75
Second 6 months $726.55
Remainder of Program $462.35
2 years of service
First 6 months $804.75
Second 6 months $590.15
Remainder of Program $375.55

Chapter 1606—National Guard or Reserves after July 1, 1985. Contact unit to verify eligibility.
First 6 months $246.75
Second 6 months $180.95
Remainder of Program $115.15
Chapter 1607—Public Law 108-375 enacted October 28, 2004 (with retroactive provisions to September 11, 2001) provides increased benefits for National Guard or Reserves called to active duty.
2 or more years of continuous service
1st 6 months $792.60 / 2nd 6 months $581.24
Remainder of Program $369.88
1 yr but less than 2 yrs of service
1st 6 months $594.45 / 2nd 6 months $435.93
Remainder of Program $277.41
90 days but less than 1 year
1st 6 months $396.30 / 2nd 6 months $290.62
Remainder of Program $184.94

Chapter 35—For spouses and dependent children of 100% service connected disabled vets or spouses/children of vets who died in service.
First 6 months $666.00
Second 6 months $499.00
Third 6 months $329.00
Remainder of Program $166.00

Chapter 32—VEAP: A voluntary contributory program for persons in service from January 1, 1977–June 30, 1985. Benefit amount depends on amount of money veteran contributed.

If you participated in “special” programs, you may be eligible for additional amounts (“kickers”).

**Rates effective October 1, 2008.

Veterans, Dependents, Members of the National Guard and Reservists

Have You Considered Using Your
“G. I. Bill” Benefits For

On-the-Job Training
Or
Apprenticeship Training

Edward G. Rendell, Governor
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

Dr. Gerald L. Zahorchak
Secretary of Education
Department of Education

Veterans/Military Education
State Approving Agency
Old 11-12-2008, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Mods can you please make this a sticky for others. Thank you!

TJ
Old 11-13-2008, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Let me know if you have any questions!

Quick Reply: OJT..Recent Veterans Read!