Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

What are the mentally challenging jobs in each brach of the military.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008 | 11:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by austin21
As for me I am currently studying to take the ASVAB and I am going for a COMM job in the USMC one of those jobs being Satellite Communications Operator-Maintainer hopefully .
I have no qualifications as a recruiter and am only making an educated guess, but this may not be as cool as you think. I have a sneaking suspicion you would just be the guy who sets up all the satcom antennas for the dasc or toc or whatever the marine corp uses, and then sit there and monitor the net for 12 hours a day.
Old 11-23-2008 | 12:40 AM
TECH Regular

linguist and nuke. both schools are about 2 years long.
Old 11-23-2008 | 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

School wise and depending on the situation, being a nuke in the Navy. Otherwise I think being a submarine quartrmaster while having a high contact density to avoid and all the while not hit bottm and not be detected. I think is pretty damn stressful and mentally challenging
Old 11-25-2008 | 01:06 AM
T is for Towing not Turbo

I'm a navy nuke mechanic, and like JohnnyC said, the school is pretty busy, cramming a lot of stuff into your head in a short amount of time. However, I didn't find it particularly hard, just busy. Spend a lot of time in that building. I don't know how it is now (that was over 8 years ago), but it must be getting easier and easier judging by the caliber of the nubs I see showing up on the boats. Only reason I did it was for the job opportunities afterwards. Year and a half to go, I'll see what's out there for me. Also, I've been up in the cone before on the boat and seen those guys up there where there's a lot of contacts out there, and like lookin4ata said, that looks like it'd be pretty busy too. Best thing about being a nuke is hearin the cone whine constantly about you getting pro-pay and then asking if they want your job they say NO!

Brian
Old 11-26-2008 | 02:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by silverbullet02
I'm a navy nuke mechanic, and like JohnnyC said, the school is pretty busy, cramming a lot of stuff into your head in a short amount of time. However, I didn't find it particularly hard, just busy. Spend a lot of time in that building. I don't know how it is now (that was over 8 years ago), but it must be getting easier and easier judging by the caliber of the nubs I see showing up on the boats. Only reason I did it was for the job opportunities afterwards. Year and a half to go, I'll see what's out there for me. Also, I've been up in the cone before on the boat and seen those guys up there where there's a lot of contacts out there, and like lookin4ata said, that looks like it'd be pretty busy too. Best thing about being a nuke is hearin the cone whine constantly about you getting pro-pay and then asking if they want your job they say NO!

Brian
**** that **** man. I would want your job even with the pro-pay. We are about 2 months from being done with an ERO and I do NOT want to even deal with the bullshit that the nukes are dealing with these days. I will take being a NAVET anyday of the week over being a nuke thank you very much.
Old 11-26-2008 | 08:55 AM
11 Second Club

I just retired 3 weeks ago from the Navy Nuclear Power Program after only 20 years. I also did 2 stints of recruiting duty. I have no quotas or reason to tell stories about it other than what happened or could happen. Any questions anyone has, feel free to ask. I'll tell you what I know.

EMC(SW/AW) (Ret.)

Quick Reply: What are the mentally challenging jobs in each brach of the military.