Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

What are the mentally challenging jobs in each brach of the military.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 09:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the mentally challenging jobs in each brach of the military.

Just like the title says Im wondering what the most mentally challenging job in each branch is ?
Old 11-11-2008, 10:07 PM
NKAWTG...N

As in intellectually challenging? Or physically mentally challenging?

Speaking of my small sliver of experience in the AF intellectually:
Intel (go figure)
Medical
Aircrew
Pilot
Nav/Strike Nav
PJ/TACP/CCP (any other I am forgetting)

Physically:
PJ/TACP/CCP (any other I am forgetting)
Old 11-11-2008, 10:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

training new people
Old 11-11-2008, 10:19 PM
Banned

^^i agree training new people is mentally strenuous, training foreign military personnel is even worse.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:44 AM
12 Second Club

let me restate this which program requires the most intelligence like for instance i think i read some where the navys is the Nuclear power program
Old 11-12-2008, 08:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

The most mentallly challenging jobs in the military IMO would be the technical officers that work in a specific funtional area. The officers in those functional areas do not lead troops at all but they work solely in thier functional area of expertise. An example is some the IT and software officers that work in the army.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Launching!

I was Air Traffic Control in the Marine Corp. Try landing a KC-130 Gunship, 2 F-22's all while making sure that the Apache on the pad listened to you when you said you better just wait a minute. All you can think about is the fireball all of that munitions and jet fuel would make. I cant say I miss all that much
Old 11-12-2008, 01:03 PM
TECH Junkie

I would have to go with Navy Nuclear power.
Old 11-12-2008, 02:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Johnsonville, SC; but orginally from GAINESVILLE, FL

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6

Yep, the NUCLEAR POWER Program the Navy has is at the top of the list for Navy Schools.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6

Old 11-12-2008, 08:01 PM
12 Second Club

well i knew it was that for the navy do any of the other branches have the equivalent ?
Old 11-12-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Junkie

nope because Navy is the only branch with Nuclear power

Im sure they have some other tough jobs though.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:31 AM
FOG
Teching In

Austin,

I think you need to refine your parameters a little more. Different people are challenged in different ways and excel in different ways.

As an example a former rocket scientist decided to become a Marine pilot. Extremely bright guy with a civil commercial license. Got his wings and I flew with for a tour. Very mechanical/analytical aviator, not instinctive and not well suited to FMF flying. Now at Pax River and probably the nations SME in certain areas of air to ground threats. He has found his niche and it is both personally rewarding while also being a huge contribution.

My point is that you should try and get a good assessment of yourself. Not only the different services have different cultures, etc. but different jobs inside each service have their own plus and minus columns.

Incidentally my vote overall goes to USMC/USN ECMOs. Fighting and hunting radar SAMs with your head down in the back of a TacAir aircraft while the pilot is maneuvering. Go see Flight of the Intruder and extrapolate what the BN is doing but in a far denser electronic battlefield with more “gadgets” to work all the while being in back with little visibility and requiring a higher degree of SA. Requires lots of smarts and quick think vice deliberate thinking.

S/F, FOG
Old 11-13-2008, 09:46 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FOG
Austin,

I think you need to refine your parameters a little more. Different people are challenged in different ways and excel in different ways.

As an example a former rocket scientist decided to become a Marine pilot. Extremely bright guy with a civil commercial license. Got his wings and I flew with for a tour. Very mechanical/analytical aviator, not instinctive and not well suited to FMF flying. Now at Pax River and probably the nations SME in certain areas of air to ground threats. He has found his niche and it is both personally rewarding while also being a huge contribution.

My point is that you should try and get a good assessment of yourself. Not only the different services have different cultures, etc. but different jobs inside each service have their own plus and minus columns.

Incidentally my vote overall goes to USMC/USN ECMOs. Fighting and hunting radar SAMs with your head down in the back of a TacAir aircraft while the pilot is maneuvering. Go see Flight of the Intruder and extrapolate what the BN is doing but in a far denser electronic battlefield with more “gadgets” to work all the while being in back with little visibility and requiring a higher degree of SA. Requires lots of smarts and quick think vice deliberate thinking.

S/F, FOG
Thanks FOG the reason I am asking this for a friend who was just curious she went and took the AFQT at a navy recruitment center and they told her judging from her score on that she would qualify for the Nuclear Power Program.(she got a 97 I believe)
As for me I am currently studying to take the ASVAB and I am going for a COMM job in the USMC one of those jobs being Satellite Communications Operator-Maintainer hopefully .
Old 11-14-2008, 11:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think every job out there is challenging mentally because there is stupid BS that come w/ whatever you do.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hawaiiboysz
I think every job out there is challenging mentally because there is stupid BS that come w/ whatever you do.

I agree, but on the other hand, being a Mechanic like myself, our Platoon gets fucked with the most... even our 1SG was like, "im gonna make 1st PLT my duty platoon... I also can't stand workin with KATUSA soldiers......
Old 11-15-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel mentally challenged (or retarded) everyday in the air.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:06 PM
TECH Regular

Linguist is definitely up there. LONG *** school and you have to take equivalency tests every year to make sure you are proficient in your language. I know a lot of people who went and learned the entire Arabic language in 2 effing years, and were expected to go listen to conversations quickly and to do it with precision.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:11 AM
Teching In

I believe the question you were after is which job will pay more when you get out of the military. I can tell you the infantryman has more to think about with more on the line then any other job out there, effectively destroying combatants while maintaining security of friendly forces and minimizing collateral damage all while receiving RPGs and small arms fire. This is a mentally challenging job but won’t pay worth a **** on the outside, but sure is a hell of a rush while the body lasts.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was a reactor operator in the navy - pretty tough program. You have a minimum 6 year enlistment because the first two years are all school / training. They stuff alot of information down your throat in a short period of time.

Quick Reply: What are the mentally challenging jobs in each brach of the military.