Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

How did you tell your family you were joining the military ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still on the fence about joining myself. I just left some stuff out on the counter and had my dad read it. I asked if he saw the stuff I left. Then I asked how he felt about my signing with the army. He said it would probably good for me. Haha. My dad approves and that's all that matters at this point.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

everyone here has made good points. i would probably tell em first. i had to have my folks sign cuz i was 17. that was 17 years ago and i had no regrets.did 8 years got out and i signed back up in 04 cuz i wanted to go to the sandbox. lol dumb i know but thats what the Corps will do to you. i joined the army the second time. and most people were like wtf are you doing. i was older had a good job, blah, blah. i see friends who are veterans with kids in there teens not supporting or talking there kids out of going into the service and it pisses me off . i know part of it has to do with what happened to me and i cant blame them i guess. no one wants to see an child get injured or worse. just remember its your decision. it will probably be the first major choice you make in your life. i know it was mine. if you get talked out of it you will always regret it. my folks did it to my younger brother and he complains to this day that he should have joined.
so my hats off to you for considering joining any branch of the service does not matter which when it at least from what i see, its not as popular as when i first did. on the flip side i came out of the Corps with no real job skills unless your gonna be a cop or something similar which i did. what i did have was the knowledge that i could do anything i put my mind to which i know i would not have had if i stayed at home,college whatever. so a useable job skill is not a big issue if you have MOTIVATION that you will succeed at whatever you apply yourself to after you get out.

a bit of advice i did not take when given was DO NOT GO 0311 etc. swing with the airwing or something. you might actually get a job skill that will help outside. good luck
Old 11-20-2008, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine didn't believe me for the 2 months i talked about it before i signed. They thought I was going to meps to "talk" about doing it. It shocked the **** outta my mom and said "hey I leave in 20 days and am going to be on submarines." Here i am two years later now and it was the best decision of my life. I'm gald I waited till i was 22 two join instead of 18 like when i almost joined the army. The Navy is the best place for me. Best of luck any branch you choose.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:42 PM
TECH Regular

Imo regardless of what kind of relationship you have with your Parents, out of respect it is best that you tell them before signing you life away. I was a junior in high school when I first began to talk to my Parents about joining the Air Force. My Dad (prior Army) and my Mom understood my reasoning behind joining the Military and respected that. Senior year a week after graduation, I'm off to San Antonio for BMT.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I told myself and my family there was no way I'd ever join the military. Got laid off from a really well paying job and seeing how well my family was taken care of with my dad being AF, I leaned towards it, talked to them about it. Full support, 4 years later it's been one of the best things I've done. In the process of separating early from active duty and sliding into a full time guard spot(tech not AGR) and get myself set back up where I belong and still serve my country.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:23 AM
TECH Regular

-Informed my landlord
-Secured a storage unit for my crap
-Told a few friends
-Dropped stuff off that I didn't want to store and wanted to give to my parents the morning of my last day as a human. That was their notification.
-Had a friend drive me to the recruiter after I stored my car.
The end.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Launching!

It was the end of the month, they were trying to meet their quota so the MEPS station was open late processing several others and myself. My parents knew I was thinking about joining the Army, but had no idea where I was that particular Friday evening. It was after 11PM by the time I had my contract all squared away, signed, and swore in. Recruiter drops me off at my parents' house around midnight, I walk in the door and they say "Where have you been?" I plopped my contract down on the table and said "I joined the Army, I ship out June 3rd." LOL
Old 11-22-2008, 01:38 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Awake455
-Informed my landlord
-Secured a storage unit for my crap
-Told a few friends
-Dropped stuff off that I didn't want to store and wanted to give to my parents the morning of my last day as a human. That was their notification.
-Had a friend drive me to the recruiter after I stored my car.
The end.
im thinking about doing the same thing.

my father is against it b/c he wants me to go to college but i am tired of school and work. if i dont join the army i know i will regret it later in life. i really dont know how to tell him since all my **** is at his house including my project car. he even said he would push the damn thing out of the garage if i left. i guess i will have to get a storage unit big enough to fit both my cars.

Quick Reply: How did you tell your family you were joining the military ?