Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Meeting With A Recruiter Tomorrow For The Marines

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ss1129
Please dont tell this kid **** if you dont know what your talking about. The air force is nothing like the Marines...in any way shape or form. Marine infantry does almost as much as any job as far as leadership and management goes.

Like I said, if you have any questions feel free to ask me here or pm me. If you are not in the Marines then you pretty much have no idea what you are talking about, be it lifestyle wise or program wise.

There are only 2 types of people that know how Marines operate. Marines and people who fought against Marines.
I was talking about if he does not stay in and goes into the civilian world. My point being that if you are say a Pilot then that is HUGE for you if you want to be a civilian pilot later or even at the same time if you are Reserve, if you are Infantry then yeah its good for the leadership and management and all but what else is it good for in the civilian world?????? Thats my point, become a pilot, medic, nurse, mechanic, IT, ect ect in ANY branch and get out and walk into the same job in the civilian world. Just telling him to keep that in mind. A friend of mine went 11B and is not going Supply because he realised a few years in that a lot more jobs out the outside will open up to him with a supply background compared to a shooter.

I can't see how anyone could argue that. Fell free to though.... because I am just some idiot who does now know what he is talking about.... its common scence bud. I know at least one Marine INF guy I could call and he would agree with me 100%, he was a heavy truck mechanic as a civi before he enlisted.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, there is no outside opportunity to be civilian Infantry (although there is contracting or things like law enforcement), however, I will say this,

if there is a calling inside of you to go out there and fight, do it. Anybody can be taught to turn wrenches, but not everyone has the will to say something like "I want to be on the front line."

With an attitude like that, you will never feel fulfilled or accomplished with anything less. It is an intangible that people without it do not understand. I'm not trying to romanticize war or anything like that, but I am telling you that if your heart says to pick up a gun, but you let your mind tell you to pick up a wrench because its a better career move, you will NEVER be happy.

/motivational speech.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jperran
Yes, there is no outside opportunity to be civilian Infantry (although there is contracting or things like law enforcement), however, I will say this,

if there is a calling inside of you to go out there and fight, do it. Anybody can be taught to turn wrenches, but not everyone has the will to say something like "I want to be on the front line."

With an attitude like that, you will never feel fulfilled or accomplished with anything less. It is an intangible that people without it do not understand. I'm not trying to romanticize war or anything like that, but I am telling you that if your heart says to pick up a gun, but you let your mind tell you to pick up a wrench because its a better career move, you will NEVER be happy.

/motivational speech.
If you have it in you to be a ground pounder then by all means do it. Even if you have a change of heart later on you can reclass jobs after your first term is up. Many infantrymen switch over to a different job after some time.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by capn smokey
Just curious, who are you and where do you gather all this vast knowledge from?
Well for starters Im a Marine Recruiter.

Are there shady recruiters....yes. Are we trained to be shady and do we condone it? No.

Let me tell you why the average Marine recruiter will not lie to a kid. A. because his SNCOIC will **** him up.

But more importantly, if you **** that kid over do you think you will ever get any of his friends in? Or anyone that kid ever talks to.

I know you cant comprehend that we actually help people and are looking out for their interests as much as our own, but I dont know what to tell you.

Ive given out over $45,000 in bonuses to kids that didnt come to my office looking for money or any sort of bonuses. I gave it to kids that want to be a Marine for the sake of being a Marine. I didnt have to give them ****. We are not the Army and we dont have to throw money around. I hook my kids the **** up...like any other recruiter worth his salt.

We are not Army recruiters....we are not hurting to make mission. We dont have to offer money to kids to get them to join. We turn away the garbage that the Army will put in and give bonuses to to.

So again your opinion is pretty much worthless unless you walked into the recruiters office or you were a Marine.

Despite what you say, we are not there to **** kids over and lie to them.

Thats the Armys job. Ive caught them lying to so many kids about how we operate and Ive exchanged words with them after I found out some of the **** they were saying.

Im not a ******* used car salesmen. Get it through your thick skull. I recruit people to stand next to me in front of the flag. Do you think I want them pissed at me?
Old 12-12-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

I think you are missing everyones point, when it comes to recruiters there is plenty of bad ones that will screw you over in every branch, unless you can say for sure that there is not one shaddy recuiter in the Marines.

45k before or after taxes?
Old 12-12-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

from my experiance, you get told alot and get a little.
me and a friend went to talk to a recruiter once, i ended up saying no, but my friend said yes. he's yet to get everything he was promised, and that was around 3-4 years ago.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by shtnfrds
from my experiance, you get told alot and get a little.
me and a friend went to talk to a recruiter once, i ended up saying no, but my friend said yes. he's yet to get everything he was promised, and that was around 3-4 years ago.
I would be interested to see what he was promised, I bet most of it is his own fault for not getting.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:02 PM
Banned

Are there shady recruiters....yes. Are we trained to be shady and do we condone it? No.

Let me tell you why the average Marine recruiter will not lie to a kid. A. because his SNCOIC will **** him up.

But more importantly, if you **** that kid over do you think you will ever get any of his friends in? Or anyone that kid ever talks to.

I know you cant comprehend that we actually help people and are looking out for their interests as much as our own, but I dont know what to tell you.

Ive given out over $45,000 in bonuses to kids that didnt come to my office looking for money or any sort of bonuses. I gave it to kids that want to be a Marine for the sake of being a Marine. I didnt have to give them ****. We are not the Army and we dont have to throw money around. I hook my kids the **** up...like any other recruiter worth his salt.

We are not Army recruiters....we are not hurting to make mission. We dont have to offer money to kids to get them to join. We turn away the garbage that the Army will put in and give bonuses to to.

So again your opinion is pretty much worthless unless you walked into the recruiters office or you were a Marine.

Thats the Armys job. Ive caught them lying to so many kids about how we operate and Ive exchanged words with them after I found out some of the **** they were saying.

Im not a ******* used car salesmen. Get it through your thick skull. I recruit people to stand next to me in front of the flag. Do you think I want them pissed at me?
You may be the exception in the same way i was when i sold cars but I know I got f'd over and I know hundreds of other ppl who have. The average Marine recruit is 19 and has no clue what he is getting into, and trusts that recruiter to be completely honest. You said yourself you are trained to be shady, do you think everyone ignores their training? Im glad i joined the Marine Corps but I didnt get anything i was promised and was taken advantage of because i was naive and trusted my recruiter to be honest. I see things alot clearer now but back then I was young and ignorant and thought that uniform meant more to some ppl.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

You may be the exception in the same way i was when i sold cars but I know I got f'd over and I know hundreds of other ppl who have. The average Marine recruit is 19 and has no clue what he is getting into, and trusts that recruiter to be completely honest. You said yourself you are trained to be shady, do you think everyone ignores their training? Im glad i joined the Marine Corps but I didnt get anything i was promised and was taken advantage of because i was naive and trusted my recruiter to be honest. I see things alot clearer now but back then I was young and ignorant and thought that uniform meant more to some ppl.
He said no about the being trained to be shaddy thing.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Please, I was dicked around by Marine recruiters and thats the reason I didnt join the Marines. Dont try the holier than thou marine thing because you know its bs.

And not all Army recruiters lie just like all the other branches recruiters dont all lie. Maybe you dont lie but I guarantee other marine recruiters do.

Oh and the Marines is not hurting to make mission?? Thats funny because they have been actively recruiting recruiters due to end strength increases as of a year ago.
CAMP FOSTER, Okinawa (August 3, 2007) -- As Marine Corps Recruiting Command attempts to increase the recruiting force by 600 Marines, the command's Headquarters Recruiter Screening Team visited Okinawa July 23-26 to interview potential recruiters.

Screeners from the team, which visits major Marine Corps installations twice a year to find qualified Marines for recruiting duty, conducted briefs at Marine installations across Okinawa and interviewed 489 noncommissioned officers and staff NCOs during the visit. The interview is the first step for Marines wanting to become recruiters.

The need for more recruiters grew substantially earlier this year when President George W. Bush approved a Marine Corps end strength increase of 27,000 over the next five years. The Corps immediately bolstered recruiting and retention efforts to grow the force. Marine manpower officials plan to add 5,000 more Marines per year from 2008 to 2012.

Last edited by brad8266; 12-12-2008 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

No, we are not hurting to make mission. They uped the number of recruiters because the Marine Corps was growing. So when you need to recruit more people than you have in the past, you obviously need more recruiters. As for not getting what you were promised in the Marines.....everything you are guaranteed is in writing. There is no making **** up there. However things like Tuition Assistance, G.I. Bill, Aprenticeship Program, MCEP and **** like that is all on the individual Marine. Just like promotions.

The only people that hate the Marines are the **** heads that usually shouldnt of joined in the first place or people that fucked themselves once in and got busted down.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Everything you get in any branch is guaranted in writing. The enlistment contracts are the same for all the brances, its a DD form.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

No, we are not hurting to make mission. They uped the number of recruiters because the Marine Corps was growing. So when you need to recruit more people than you have in the past, you obviously need more recruiters. As for not getting what you were promised in the Marines.....everything you are guaranteed is in writing. There is no making **** up there. However things like Tuition Assistance, G.I. Bill, Aprenticeship Program, MCEP and **** like that is all on the individual Marine. Just like promotions.

The only people that hate the Marines are the **** heads that usually shouldnt of joined in the first place or people that fucked themselves once in and got busted down.
I think you have your panties in a wad or just hate every other branch.. Yeah everything is in writing but how many 18-19 year olds REALLY know what they are reading means? Its like when you buy a house, when you read everything do you really know what everything means? Even if they do understand everything there is nothing stating that in 6 months you will get deployed then over and over, yes we all know that tends to happen in the millitary hahaha but a lot of recruiters will tell you you will stay in the states and be home for the holidays.....
Thats my point.

I don't hate Marines, I have a lot of respect for them but I will say this, when my buddy signed up a friend of his had a brother who was/is a Marine recruiter... he called him up and said "a friend of mine is coming to see you, make sure you take care of him".... not sure why he would say this if all Marine recruiters are 100% honest and take care of everyone.....

To many Marines that are Marines or nothing type people. Its all one big team, everyone in every bracnh works together to complete the mission.

Branch pride is one thing but bashing other branches is out of line if you are serious about it. I know there are a lot of ARMY and AF guys that really respect Marines and there are a lot of Marines that return that respect.

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 12-12-2008 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:02 PM
12 Second Club

I never bashed the other branches.

As for taking care of a friend, it could be by getting him a ship bonus or the Marine Corps scholarship bonus...**** like that.

As for you Brad, Im curious as to how you were dicked around. Care to tell me?
Old 12-13-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Veteran

There should be no comparing between the branches, we're all fighting for our country. Her's my conclusion I dont want to go straight into officer cadet school. I want to enlist first because that is what I want. The way the recruiter was talking to me, he was trying to get me straight into becoming an officer right after boot camp...I dont want to do this. I wont be nearly as good of a leader if I was to do this, it just isnt smart at all. Once I setup another meeting with this recruiter I will let those who are eager to assist me know. Also if I have any questions. Thanks for everyone's input, and I believe SS1129 is a recruiter who takes his job very seriously and is willing to help in all ways to get what his recruits want/need, judging by his responses. I respect that but remember that not everyone is willing to be as helpful and caring as others.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mycamaroSS
I respect that but remember that not everyone is willing to be as helpful and caring as others.
Everyones point is that its not about being helpful/caring..... its about honestly.

Caring and the millitary... never thought I would ever see those two words together

I have run into some recruiters that seemed like pretty honest guys from what they said, but I have also met some really shaddy ones.....
Old 12-13-2008, 05:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
He said no about the being trained to be shaddy thing.
Sorry I read his post wrong, but I know they are encouraged to do whatever it takes to get ppl in.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:12 PM
Banned

Its funny I actuall get along better with the other branches better than i do with my own, I love my Marine Corps but damn there are some retarted *** Marines out there. I cant stand cocky *** Marines that have nothing to be cocky about, pride is one thing but alot of Marines get that "holier than thou" attitude and it makes me want to beat their faces in when i see it.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

Its funny I actuall get along better with the other branches better than i do with my own, I love my Marine Corps but damn there are some retarted *** Marines out there. I cant stand cocky *** Marines that have nothing to be cocky about, pride is one thing but alot of Marines get that "holier than thou" attitude and it makes me want to beat their faces in when i see it.
Don't hate on that cockiness too much. It's just some people's way of being confident..even though it rubs everyone else the wrong way. Sometimes that's the same attitude that carries a Marine through a deployment. "Ten feet tall and bullet proof."
Old 12-14-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Veteran

yea, and im sure im going to be running into a few good recruiters and a few, not so good recruiters. Just like anything in life.

Quick Reply: Meeting With A Recruiter Tomorrow For The Marines