Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Meeting With A Recruiter Tomorrow For The Marines

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008 | 04:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by El_Diablo
Don't hate on that cockiness too much. It's just some people's way of being confident..even though it rubs everyone else the wrong way. Sometimes that's the same attitude that carries a Marine through a deployment. "Ten feet tall and bullet proof."
Yeah its neccesary in certain situations but some ppl just dont know how to turn it off. It might be alright in combat but it aint cool in a bar when they wont stop talking ****.
Old 12-14-2008 | 06:52 PM
TECH Veteran

youre always going to run into people like this, so why label that action towards a group? Ive never really understood why people think it's okay to do this just because there's a handful of douchbags in a group.

But back on topic. I know my father has been in the army for my whole life but I never lived with him. I see him 2 or 3 times a year so I dont know what military life is about. Other than working what's civilian life like as a Marine?
Old 12-14-2008 | 08:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mycamaroSS
youre always going to run into people like this, so why label that action towards a group? Ive never really understood why people think it's okay to do this just because there's a handful of douchbags in a group.

But back on topic. I know my father has been in the army for my whole life but I never lived with him. I see him 2 or 3 times a year so I dont know what military life is about. Other than working what's civilian life like as a Marine?
cherish your time with your family when your off work, Im a grunt (infantry) 15 yrs 6 deployments 1 time to Iraq where i was wounded. Be carefull what u wish for when u say you want to be on the front lines, I said the same thing and now I have a purple heart and wounds as well as grief for my brothers not coming home. If you are going to do it let life take it's course dont wish for anything because it just might haunt u forever. That is all
Old 12-15-2008 | 12:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ponyeater01LS1
cherish your time with your family when your off work, Im a grunt (infantry) 15 yrs 6 deployments 1 time to Iraq where i was wounded. Be carefull what u wish for when u say you want to be on the front lines, I said the same thing and now I have a purple heart and wounds as well as grief for my brothers not coming home. If you are going to do it let life take it's course dont wish for anything because it just might haunt u forever. That is all
I appreciate it, and am grateful of your service, as to all the troops overseas. That is what war brings and it is sad but that's what I will always have in the back of my head, that I could lose my life, but I will know that I died the most respectable death anyone could ever die for, at least that's how I see it in my eyes. You should be proud of what you did and know that the friends you lost in battle dont want you to live a life of mourning. Im truly sorry for your losses.

Before, I was set on either becoming an architect or a graphic design artist. As I chose one I still felt like there was still something missing, I had a sense of emptiness deep within me but I didnt know why I felt that way. I felt worthless with what I was doing. Then I thought about how my Dad always asked me if I wanted to join the military when I got older and how every time, I would tell him no. But it finally crept up to me. I started thinking about life and what it all meant to me, and found that nothing could make me prouder than being in the military and fighting for what I believe in.

God Bless you, all the soldiers, veterans, and the soldiers that have lost their lives in battle
Old 12-15-2008 | 06:26 AM
12 Second Club
15 Year Member

Dont forget to set up appointments with your recruiter as late as possible, or late saturdays....or if you really want to test him, tell him you only have time to meet on sunday. See what he says.
Old 12-15-2008 | 10:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Yea he said he only works on the weekdays...so I guess that wont work. Im going to talk with my Dad about my decision and see if he can give me some pointers. Thanks man.
Old 12-15-2008 | 11:53 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by brad8266
This thread is full of bullshit.

Here is my opinion since you want to finish school. Enlist in the Marine Reserves and go to basic training over the summer. Then just drill with your reserve unit and get a small check and use marine tuition assistance (Im pretty sure they have it) to pay for your school. Once you graduate college apply for a conditional release from the reserves to apply for Officer Candidate School and go active.

You are already in college so there is no reason to take a break at all. Finish it up with no breaks and then go in as an officer with some enlisted time already under your belt.
this pretty much sums it up....

Originally Posted by mycamaroSS
I have 2.5 years left, Ill mention PLC to him. Can I do PLC than go back to school? I want to get school completed before I start doing major training.

Thanks
yes you can do plc and go back to school. If after you attend ocs ,graduate, and decide you don't want to continue you can decline your commission.
Lot's have done that. I was already in and had time left on my contract, so I used up some more time.
Old 12-15-2008 | 12:48 PM
TECH Veteran

alright cool. That's what I am planning on doing than. Thanks for all the assistance guys.
Old 12-15-2008 | 07:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ss1129
We are not Army recruiters....we are not hurting to make mission. We dont have to offer money to kids to get them to join. We turn away the garbage that the Army will put in and give bonuses to to.

So again your opinion is pretty much worthless unless you walked into the recruiters office or you were a Marine.

Despite what you say, we are not there to **** kids over and lie to them.

Thats the Armys job. Ive caught them lying to so many kids about how we operate and Ive exchanged words with them after I found out some of the **** they were saying.

Im not a ******* used car salesmen. Get it through your thick skull. I recruit people to stand next to me in front of the flag. Do you think I want them pissed at me?
**** you! You dont know what your talking about! the only people that know anything about army is those that have served in the army and those that have fought against them!!!!
Old 12-15-2008 | 07:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by capn smokey
Its funny I actuall get along better with the other branches better than i do with my own, I love my Marine Corps but damn there are some retarted *** Marines out there. I cant stand cocky *** Marines that have nothing to be cocky about, pride is one thing but alot of Marines get that "holier than thou" attitude and it makes me want to beat their faces in when i see it.
I used to like the signal corps marines at Ft Gordon, they were big bad comunications beasts!!!!!
Old 12-15-2008 | 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GTO JIMMY
I used to like the signal corps marines at Ft Gordon, they were big bad comunications beasts!!!!!
I will second that. Seems a bunch of pussies are joining the marines now to make people think they are badasses. It sucks that all the good soldiers are not even soldiers at all but flyboys and squids
Old 12-16-2008 | 01:26 AM
Teching In

So i guess since there are only two types of people that hate the Marine Corps, " **** heads that shouldnt have joined in the first place" and "ones that fucked themselves and got busted down", i guess i must be a **** head? I dunno i think im a pretty good Marine. 275 PFT, 5th Award Double expert (rifle/pistol), Picked up Cpl in 2 years and chased the score for Sgt for another 2 and just when i had the score for the month prior, the next month it closed out and has been closed out for the past 9 months. 2 Deployments, 1 as a machine gunner and the other as a Vehicle commander, 4.5 4.6 pro/con marks (avg)....never been NJP'd and the only PG11 i have is for the tattoos that are recorded. Am i the Shitbag Marine that hes talking about? or could thier be other reasons why someone might hate the Marine Corps? Dont put labels on people, just because its not what they want to do for the rest of thier life, mr. "recruiter". I fulfilled my contract, and at the current time and place, yes i hate the ******* Marine Corps. You might wanna be carefull by the way of who you tell to go **** themselves in here....you never know what they have on thier collar.
Old 12-16-2008 | 08:58 AM
12 Second Club
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Grand National 5-0
So i guess since there are only two types of people that hate the Marine Corps, " **** heads that shouldnt have joined in the first place" and "ones that fucked themselves and got busted down", i guess i must be a **** head? I dunno i think im a pretty good Marine. 275 PFT, 5th Award Double expert (rifle/pistol), Picked up Cpl in 2 years and chased the score for Sgt for another 2 and just when i had the score for the month prior, the next month it closed out and has been closed out for the past 9 months. 2 Deployments, 1 as a machine gunner and the other as a Vehicle commander, 4.5 4.6 pro/con marks (avg)....never been NJP'd and the only PG11 i have is for the tattoos that are recorded. Am i the Shitbag Marine that hes talking about? or could thier be other reasons why someone might hate the Marine Corps? Dont put labels on people, just because its not what they want to do for the rest of thier life, mr. "recruiter". I fulfilled my contract, and at the current time and place, yes i hate the ******* Marine Corps. You might wanna be carefull by the way of who you tell to go **** themselves in here....you never know what they have on thier collar.
Well I noticed you a 58 as well. Yeah life can really suck as a 5811, Ill give you that. However, you will never know how good you have it compared to being a recruiter. I personally believe that there is no more rewarding/fun lifestyle than that of a single Marine. Being married and a Marine can be challenging...as with any branch, time away from home sucks.
As for picking up rank, yeah 58s got it pretty bad. I just made the zone for SSgt for the first time this year and Ive been in for almost 9 years now. It took me 5 to get Sgt....after repeatedly chasing the score and having it close.

Look, you can talk **** all you want. You damn well know that when you are in a bar trying to pick up some ***** your going to tell that bitch your a Marine.(as long as you are not near a base) LOL. I see people do it all the time.

Is the Marine Corps for everyone....no. Will it ever reflect poorly on someones background? No.

In the end, dont act like your the only disgruntled guy on the block because he didnt get promoted. Peace!
Old 12-16-2008 | 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

I am an american airman
Old 12-17-2008 | 04:06 AM
Banned

Haha good luck man well I would tell you not to join and go air force or navy or even coast guard but i had plenty of people tell me that when they were family and friends. I really wish i would have listed to them now lol butb im a 0311 done my share of deployments about to get out all i can say is being a grunt sucks we get the shaft all the time if you want marines go POG wish i would have had a desk job or did some ITT bs would have gave me more oppertunitys in the civilian world and btw you my sound really motto now but trust me 1 year in the fleet you can turn into the company shitbag and be the biggest F up so dont think b/c your all ready for this **** dosent mean your gonna be **** hot just try to know your job as much as you can a be proficient at it. This job is all you its your choice do what you want at accept what you did whine about it when you get out
Old 12-17-2008 | 02:33 PM
Teching In

Ugh, I feel dumber for having read this whole thread.

OP, whatever you decide to do, just know that your plans can be changed for you. Semper Gumby! If you go reserves first, you could be activated and not be able to finish school for a while. If you enlist first, you might not get a chance to go MECEP. If you've got the money to finish school then go to OCS, I'd do that.

That's just one sergeant's opinion, though. Good luck with whatever path you take.
Old 12-17-2008 | 04:42 PM
Banned

I think you should just 'stang up' and forget about the rest
http://vimeo.com/2349174
Old 12-18-2008 | 01:57 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by erasedgod
Ugh, I feel dumber for having read this whole thread.

OP, whatever you decide to do, just know that your plans can be changed for you. Semper Gumby! If you go reserves first, you could be activated and not be able to finish school for a while. If you enlist first, you might not get a chance to go MECEP. If you've got the money to finish school then go to OCS, I'd do that.

That's just one sergeant's opinion, though. Good luck with whatever path you take.
well delete your profile and stop reading, you should think before you type really.
Old 12-18-2008 | 03:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
A friend of mine is in IRAQ right now.... Marine INF... Be ready to deploy alot.... Im sure they will tell you you will be home a lot... once he got out of boot a year or so ago he was never home (INF school and all) then went to IRAQ soon after.

If you don't plan to stay in remember that Infrantry does not to much for you on a civilian resume compared to other jobs. Do what you want, just pointing that out

I work with a guy thats Reserve INF and was a Harrier Crew Chief when he was active, he got this job because of the Harrier job, not the INF...

Just something to remember

If they do it the same as the AF and all once you take the ASVAB they get the points towards their quoata.... does not matter much if you end up going to boot or not to them.

Read your contract very well before you sign, once you sign thats it.

The friend I told you about went to Boot and was asked if he wanted to be one of the Presidents body guards (can't remember what thats called) and he turned it down.... granted I doubt he will stay in past his 8 year enlistment but if he knew he wanted to stay in that would have been a killer job to put on his MARINE resume... all well.

Like I said, anything he tell you post on here.

Like said above if you go officer rememebr that Good NCO's make good officers better and bad ones nobodies....
Seen to many officers go in thinking they know everything and treat the NCO's like dirt. There was one that did this to a CMSGT (E-9) and that butter bar ended up getting coffee and breakfest (sp) for the senior officers for a very very long time. Remember that if you go officer there will be NCO's working for you that will have more time in the millitary then years you have been ALIVE!!!! They might know a thing or two, the best officers I ever met ask for opinions from their NCO's often and ask for advice from time to time.

Good luck to you.
Its called HMX, he must be an MP.
Old 12-18-2008 | 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pythias
Its called HMX, he must be an MP.
The reserve guy? Could be.

Either INF or MP but then again Reserve may not have INF.... I never got into detail about it.

Just shared a few stories about a local base and he was talking about going threw one of the areas on patrol and getting into a fire fight ect ect.

Quick Reply: Meeting With A Recruiter Tomorrow For The Marines