Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Any military snipers on here?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any military snipers on here?

Hey guys,

I just wanted to pick your brain for a little bit if you dont mind. I am very interested in long range shooting and i want to try my hand at the 1000 yard shot. I was wondering what caliber are you guys shooting and what are the specs on your scope? I know they used to shoot a 300 mag but i was wondering if they still use it. I read that the Marines have a 1000 inch range they shoot on for practice so they dont have to worry about the wind. What size is the target and what do they set the scope on for this shot since the range is so short and they need to try and simulate a 1000 yd shot? Also what grain bullet are you guys shooting? Any tips on reading the wind and tips for making this kind of shot would be great, thanks guys. Oh and a little history on my shooting thus far, i can bust milk jugs at 400 yds with my 30-06 now with hunting ammo but i want to try this just to see if i can do it. I havea guy at work that thinks it isnt possible. Im going to start with some 500 yd shots this weekend if the weather holds up. thanks again. Charles
Old 01-09-2009, 09:37 PM
EW1
Launching!

If there are some here, you wouldn't see them....j/k
Old 01-09-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol, maybe a few of them will help me.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

Not a sniper but I was a grunt in the army. We had a shooting class given by ex-dboys and all those cool guys and my unit had guys hiting full body targets at 800m with iron sights with an m-14 (7.62x51). It was military match grade ammo. Sorry thats all I know lol
Old 01-10-2009, 01:36 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by silverbeast
Hey guys,

I just wanted to pick your brain for a little bit if you dont mind. I am very interested in long range shooting and i want to try my hand at the 1000 yard shot. I was wondering what caliber are you guys shooting and what are the specs on your scope? I know they used to shoot a 300 mag but i was wondering if they still use it. I read that the Marines have a 1000 inch range they shoot on for practice so they dont have to worry about the wind. What size is the target and what do they set the scope on for this shot since the range is so short and they need to try and simulate a 1000 yd shot? Also what grain bullet are you guys shooting? Any tips on reading the wind and tips for making this kind of shot would be great, thanks guys. Oh and a little history on my shooting thus far, i can bust milk jugs at 400 yds with my 30-06 now with hunting ammo but i want to try this just to see if i can do it. I havea guy at work that thinks it isnt possible. Im going to start with some 500 yd shots this weekend if the weather holds up. thanks again. Charles

hmm.... different units and certain designated people use different weapons.
.50 cal and a 7.62 are common. We have 1000 yard ranges that are still in use(not alot of them but we do have them), but your best bet is to just look up shooting info on the interweb. It would take forever to explain the ins and outs of shooting...just start with the basics....sight alingment, sight picture, breathing, and trigger control. Then work on windage calls, movement...etc
Everything depends on when your taking the shot, because conditions can change in an instant....good luck long range shooting is a fun and challenging thing.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:22 AM
Launching!

If your question has still not been answered, get with me in a month when I am not deployed and I will send you the information you are asking for.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys. I think the biggest challenge will be reading the wind. I would like to know what kind of scopes and a little more info on the ammo.

Quick Reply: Any military snipers on here?