Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Joining The Army After College (2 Years)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 06:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joining The Army After College (2 Years)

Alright well it's been a really hard decision, whether going Marines or Army, and Im going with Army, I really wanted to join the Marines but I would make my parents worried sick and I dont want them always worrying. So I want to join infantry than go into special ops. Now what types are there? I may follow my Dad's foot steps and go to Ranger school than Special Forces but not sure. What else is out there?

Thanks
Old 02-08-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

I suggest finishing college first and then come in but if you really insist and you want to go SF or Ranger then enlist with those options in the contract so you know you will have a shot.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Veteran

yea, definitely going to wait till after college, but my mom just got a paycheck cut and is having to pay for 3 kids in college. So if it gets where she cant pay than i want to go in so i can get the stress off her back.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:48 PM
NKAWTG...N

If you are waiting to enlist after graduating...why not do ROTC or OTS/OCS?
Old 02-08-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Veteran

never really wanted to do it, but than again if the time comes where my mom needs help with paying than I will enter the program. Never heard of OST/OCS before, what is it?
Old 02-09-2009, 09:11 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by brad8266
I suggest finishing college first and then come in but if you really insist and you want to go SF or Ranger then enlist with those options in the contract so you know you will have a shot.

If I were you since your half way there I'd get the degree first, don't waste what you've done. It's super hard to go from enlisted to officer.

I'm finishing up my degree right now and going to OCS this summer. I just signed a flight contract with the Marines and I have a flight spot unless I flunk out of flight school.

After OCS this summer I won't commission until I finish my degree. So I'll be going in with officer pay and benefits.

But like he said if you really want to do the ranger thing go ahead. Just remember your signing a contract
Old 02-09-2009, 09:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mycamaroSS
I really wanted to join the Marines but I would make my parents worried sick and I dont want them always worrying. So I want to join infantry than go into special ops.
????? Don't want them worrying so you want to be an infantryman? You're in for a rude awakening.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 325trooper
????? Don't want them worrying so you want to be an infantryman? You're in for a rude awakening.
+1 the marines are just on TV more
Old 02-09-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 86MonteSS
+1 the marines are just on TV more
for the sake of my mom im not going to join the marines, there the first one on the battle ground and the the last ones to leave. Dont get me wrong I really wanted to be a Marine but in the end, my mom is going to think the same towards the Marines no matter what I tell her and she'll never sleep at night. And I know infantry in the army is just as dangerous as marines, just trying to make my mom feel at ease. Even though realistically she shouldnt.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Veteran

read the title...Im finishing up college. Now what is OCS
Old 02-09-2009, 12:38 PM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Officer Candidate School

Marines
http://www.ocs.usmc.mil/

Army
https://www.infantry.army.mil/ocs/

Air Force
http://www.au.af.mil/au/holmcenter/OTS/index.asp

Navy
https://www.netc.navy.mil/nstc/otcn/.../OCS/index.htm

Good Luck
Old 02-09-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

for the sake of my mom im not going to join the marines, there the first one on the battle ground and the the last ones to leave. Dont get me wrong I really wanted to be a Marine but in the end, my mom is going to think the same towards the Marines no matter what I tell her and she'll never sleep at night. And I know infantry in the army is just as dangerous as marines, just trying to make my mom feel at ease. Even though realistically she shouldnt.
This is a very ignorant statement
Old 02-09-2009, 01:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

for the sake of my mom im not going to join the marines, there the first one on the battle ground and the the last ones to leave.
No they aren't. That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Tell your mommy not to be worried, because as a marine you only have to do 6 month combat tours as opposed to a year lol
Old 02-09-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright well it's been a really hard decision, whether going Marines or Army, and Im going with Army, I really wanted to join the Marines but I would make my parents worried sick and I dont want them always worrying. So I want to join infantry than go into special ops. Now what types are there? I may follow my Dad's foot steps and go to Ranger school than Special Forces but not sure. What else is out there?

Thanks
A bullet or an explosive or a training accident it just that, the bullet or whatever does not care what uniform your are wearing or what is says above your left chest.... it just kills...

Infantry is Infantry, Special ops is Specail ops be it Recon or SF or PJ or whatever, you still get shot at.

If your dad was in then he should be able to talk to her and let her know that from a danger standpoint one is not better then the other.

The first one in and lasts ones out is more of a recruiting tool then anything I think.

I think people are scared for their children when they think MARINES because they remember the beach landings and all but if I remember right there were a ton of those guys if not at least half or more that were ARMY....
Old 02-09-2009, 01:58 PM
NKAWTG...N

Please don't turn this into another Marines vs Army contest. The OP said he didn't want to join the Marines. So leave it at that or I start deleting off topic posts.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:34 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lickeyman

It's super hard to go from enlisted to officer.

How so? You don't even need a 4 year degree to get commissioned...
Old 02-09-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Unertl42
This is a very ignorant statement
well instead of trying to belittle me why dont you give me some insight?
No they aren't. That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Tell your mommy not to be worried, because as a marine you only have to do 6 month combat tours as opposed to a year lol
Well this is based on a recruiter, so...yea. And you act like this was an easy decision for me.

Also I meant to say join the army, not infantry. That comment was stupid, just worded it wrong.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Also I meant to say join the army, not infantry. That comment was stupid, just worded it wrong.
Joining the marines doesn't mean you will be in the infantry. They have soft skill MOS's like everyone else. Every marine is in fact not an infantryman. But you mentioned special ops, too. Kind of odd if you don't want to be the first in.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks
you have a pm!!!! Get with me asap. I'll help you out
Old 02-10-2009, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

actually Special ops are first.
Intel gathering always takes place first before main body arrives.
So take your pick
Delta
Seals
SF
RECON.
In no certain order.

Quick Reply: Joining The Army After College (2 Years)